Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX7 TX Charge/Discharge

Old 01-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Slats!
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX7 TX Charge/Discharge

Hi Just curious what most people do when charging this. Can I hook up a charger to the transmitter (other than the supplied wall wart) to charge the battery with proper cables or do you have to disconnect the battery if using an outside charger? More importantly can I discharge the battery in the TX without disconnecting it hooking the charger to the radio or will I blow something in the TX itself (using a ln 5014). I dont like the fact that the battery connector is on a chip board and constantly removing it may mess it up. Thanks
Old 01-06-2009, 03:13 PM
freeair

Default RE: DX7 TX Charge/Discharge

you can use any suitable battery charger as long as positive / negative polarities are set correctly. the only time you should remove the battery from the tx for charging is if your using lipo batteries.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Slats!
My Feedback: (1)

What about discharging thats my main concern.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:59 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should have no problem Discharging or Cycling your batteries through the Tx Charging Jack.

Older generation Tx's had Diodes installed to prevent Polarity problems. This would also prevent you from Discharging, Cycling, and using an ESV, through the Tx Charging Jack. This is not a problem anymore. Tx Mfg's use a different method to protect Tx's from charging with the wrong polarity.

In the past, we used to solder a Jumper wire across the Diode to allow us to Discharge and Cycle Tx batteries in the Tx. Charger Mfg's used to publish Instructions and Diagrams to show how to do it.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:13 AM
freeair

i have never had the need to discharge tx batteries due to having a gauge on the tx which tells when the pack is running down to low. with todays modern transmitters when you hear the beep you know the battery is discharged and needs a re charge.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:33 PM
BuschBarber

The Tx guage just tells you the Voltage of the battery. While that is important, it does not accurately predict how well the battery is holding it's charge.

If I get a hint that my Tx battery may be discharging too quickly, I will Cycle the battery to be sure it is Charging and Discharging properly. I am not saying to do this every week or every month. A lot depends upon how often you fly, how often you charge, and what type of Tx batteries you use.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:27 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use ONLY the wallwart chargers on my JR stuff - and the batteries run a loooong time per charge . early JR used 600 macells but present stuff uses highe r ma types and simply charging with the supplied wall warts for long periods as recommended - will allow clls to put out max capability
NO need to do the discharge /recharge stuf that has preoccupied some for years
-I use A123 for rx and stock NIMH on tx and I can fly for long periods and the tx batts last for years I never futz with charg discharge cycles anymore except for initial charge.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:30 AM
BuschBarber

I bought my first RC radio on 1978 - a Futaba 6ch. I have used Wall Worts for years, as well. When more sophisticated chargers became available, I started using them, as well. I have read Red Shofield's articles and threads and conversed with him on occasion. I switched from NiCads to NiMh and I have had good luck with most NiMh Rx batteries, but for some reason, NiMh Tx batteries have given me nothing but trouble. I have followed the Mfg's instructions to Cycle new NiMh batteries, three times, before Initial use, which is supposed to affect the chemistry in the battery and ensure better performance, but that did not seem to work for my batteries. I have purchased NiMh batteries from JR. SR, NoBS, Batteries America, etc., but NiMh Tx batteries still give me fits.

I have switched entirely to Litlhium Rx batteries and Lithium Tx batteries. They do not Discharge, significantly, when not in use, and they charge in an hour or so. I can even charge them in between flights and fly indefinitely.

NiMh batteries would always Discharge too much from day to day and False Peak my charger when I tried to charge above 500mah. My Rx batteries were usually 1500mah-2000mah and my Tx batteries were 2500mah. I have Triton and Triton II chargers, now, as well as AstroFlight 109 and Cellpro 4S, for Lithium.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:58 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!Been flyi
I agree with Dick! I also use only the supplied Futaba or JR 50-100mAh wall charger, have done so for the last 33 years since I started in this hobby. Never cycle any of my batteries. Since about 15 years I only use NiMH cells (850-2800mAh)in both my transmitters and receivers. NiCad cells is seldom used over here in Europe.
Picture below show "red" GP high powered cells (850mAh) I use in my pylon racing airplanes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41686.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1106845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49771.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1106846  
Old 01-09-2009, 11:14 AM
BuschBarber

Sounds good!! Perhaps I will give it a try, again.