Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

RDS8000 and helicopters

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 11:04 AM
TK5028

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RDS8000 and helicopters

I've been reading the thread on the RDS8000 since last year now. However, I have missed the last six months or so. Almost all of the thread is about airplanes. I have a RD 6000 for years now and no problem except my dumbthumbs. I have been happy with my RD 6000, just wanted an 8 channel for a scale huey and was going to get a RD 8000. I was waiting to see if Airtronics would eventually come out with a 2.4 system for quite awhile. They took a while to come out with them but I think it was worth the wait. As soon as uncle sam sends me some money I am getting a RDS8000. Hopefully Hobby People will still have them on sale by then.

Currently I don't know anyone that uses the RDS8000 for helis. My LHS will not even consider looking at them. In fact, the one only sells Spektrum. Wonder if they are getting an extre kickback from them. What I would like to know is how many here use the RDS8000 with helicopters?
Old 01-18-2009, 11:12 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: RDS8000 and helicopters

Well you know one person now. I have had my RD6000 original not super or sport in helicopters since 2001. I have just put my RDS8000 in my Diablo. The setup is the same as the RD6000. The switches are in the correct locations, that is after you move them per the manual and apply the stickers that come with it. Super easy to setup. Took me all of 15 minute to setup the servos and pitch curves.

Just as easy to use as the RD6000.

Where in Lincoln are you? My family is from there.

Dru.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:31 PM
TK5028

Cool. I knew it was just a straight forward transfer of the info. I love my RD6000. I probally would just stick with it only but I want the extra channels to control the lights on my Huey. And mabe for retracts later. When I went into my LHS to start back up again they tried to talk me into a Spektrum, said it's the only way to go. I said no thanks, I'll stick with Airtronics.

Lincoln huh? Do you know where Union College is? I am about 5 houses from their campus.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:59 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Hobbytown USA gets floorplanning from Horizon Hobby and Great Planes/Hobbico. Basically this means that all of their Horizon and Hobbico product, including Spektrum/JR and Futaba radio systems, are free for thirty to ninety days before they have to pay for them. They can sell off the bulk of their new inventory and pay for the product with the proceeds without having to front the money for inventory.

Because of their volume of business with Horizon and Hobbico, they don't sell enough Global Hobby products to get the same discount or floorplanning terms. Hobbytown would have to pay for their Airtronics radio systems with cash up front and then hope they sell quickly so they don't have cash tied up in slower moving inventory. Hobbytown USA will special order Global Hobby products if they're pre-paid, but they're not going to stock Magnum engines, Model Tech ARFs, or Airtronics radios.

I'm planning on using my RDS8000 with my next electric helicopter, I just haven't ordered it yet. I'm probably going to go with a Thunder Tiger eRaptor 325. The vice president of the La Vista flying club still flies some helis with his RD8000. Both versions are great helicopter radios.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:23 PM
TK5028

I should have made it a little more clear when I said "they were paid off" I was just being sarcastic. I understand how Hobby Town works. However, the two here are not that great as far as I am concerned. For example the one, which is owned by Hobby Town, sells Trex 450's. I stopped by on the way home from work to gets some parts. Guess what, NO PARTS. They only sell the kits. They have one Scopion AX 10 rock crawler, NO PARTS. Why sell a product if you are not going to back it up. The other Hobby Town is a privately owned franchise. Even though they have and support both (parts wise) E-Flite and Align, they have no one that knows much about helis. They had one part time kid (who worked at Duncan Avation full time) that was great with helicopters. He moved to Denver and their heli support went downhill just as fast. I asked about taking his place part time (though I have no where the expertise) the owner says he likes to hire people that are well rounded and knows everything in the store. Guess what, now they have two car guys and no one that knows hardly anything about ANY aircraft. The Hobby Towns here are mostly for cars, gaming and toys.

Ok, I'll jump off my soap box now. I just can't stand it when I go into any store and I know more than the people that work there.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:27 PM
bigedmustafa

The Omaha Hobbytown stores are similar. I'm told they make their bread and butter from RC cars and trucks, so I can't blame them for concentrating on the part of their business that is keeping the lights on.

You probably already know this, TK5028, but Hobbytown USA was actually founded in Lincoln, NE back in 1980:

http://www.hobbytownusa.com/About/

I still appreciate having a local hobby store that is ten minutes away from our flying field. I have to bolt up there every once in a while to pick up an assorted item or two in order to keep the day going.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:17 PM
TK5028

Yes I did know that. Their HQ was just a few blocks from me. I understand also about carrying what they sell, however, here, they should at least try to supply something for a growing hobby, like the rock crawlers. I know of a number of people who would like them. My wife actually has one. They sell a couple of the ready to run kits but no parts. They will not stock them, only wait for you to order them.

So bigedmustafa, where is you field in La Vista? I've been installing carpet in the new Marriot there by Cabelas. Where is if from there? I wouldn't mind having a group to fly with (ha, try to fly, five year learning curve sucks, long story) . The only clubs we have is the Lincoln Sky Knights and I hear they are not too fond of heli's. And the others are sloap soaring clubs.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:14 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know the place has changed a lot since my family was back there. Just noticed how small the world really is.

I would like to do a 6 month tour of the places my family came from. Being in Southern Kalifornia, I am sort of out of place with the way I think.

Dru.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:12 PM
bigedmustafa

A couple of the Omaha area clubs have active helicopter pilots, while one of the other clubs just recently voted to ban helicopters. The Midwest Performance Flyers in La Vista is known as the helicopter club in the greater Omaha metro area:

http://www.performanceflyers.com

The field is NE of where you're working at 66th and Harrison Street in the La Vista Sports Complex, but you're working very near our Wednesday daytime indoor flying area. There is an indoor soccer complex at 145th and Giles Rd just north of I-80 and Hwy 50 where I shot the following infamous video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w54kf4YM1ss

I don't usually get out there on Wednesdays anymore myself simply due to work, but if you can take a long lunch some time, the guys usually fly from about 11:30 AM until 1:30PM or so every Wednesday.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:27 AM
TK5028

That's a coo/ vid. Hate to be that guy. Thanks for the info. I'll have to remember that for later dates. I won't be back to Omaha for a while. The carpet job is just temp. I've seen a lot of heli RC'ers get chewed out for not being part of AMA or flying at parks or open fields that are not sanctioned. I cannot remember where but I followed a thread where two guys in Flordia went round and round about where the one was flying because the second guy did not have all the info. When plankers b!tch about helis and get them shut out, who wants to be part of clubs. Sure helis can be dangerous, but I've seen some bad plane crashes too. And what about all those people driving and texting at the same time. I have a pet peve about cars and phones. I drive truck for a living and see a lot of crap and stupid people.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:58 AM
grawyl

I just bought an RDS8000 for usage in a couple of electric heli's, a nito heli and eventually a plank.

Has anybody here set one up for a Trex 450 or similar clone? I'm looking for settings on pitch and throttle curves. Most of my flying will be in FF but not in 3D yet.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:06 AM
bigedmustafa

It's frustrating to belong to a club where helicopter and airplane pilots co-exist happily side by side and everybody courteously takes turns sharing the airspace and having a good time, and then the next day you go to another club in the same town and have to listen to pilots tell you what a menace helicopters are and how they shouldn't be allowed at the field.

At the end of the day, all of our aircraft get along together just fine. It's simply the pilots who can't always get along.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:10 AM
TK5028

Yeah, I agree. It's like Harley Davidson and Jap bike. Hell, just co exist and be happy.

Grawyl, I don't have a RDS8000 YET, but I have a RD 6000 (which has the same programing) and a Trex 450. Give me a little bit and I can look up what I'm running.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:37 AM
grawyl

thx TK5028. I was going to use the settings in the Trex Manual but figured I'd ask around as well.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:48 AM
TK5028

Edit, posted this just after you did.

Sorry grawyly, I forgot to write down my settings. I have change them because I am setting it up for a scale hughes 500. I would just start with the suggested settings from the manual for now. Just in case you don't have on here they are.

Throttle Curve

Low Mid High
Normal 0% 80% 100%

Idle Up 100% 85% 100%

Pitch Curve

Normal 35% 50% 95%

Idle Up 5% 50% 95%

Old 01-20-2009, 12:40 PM
grawyl

thx TK5028