Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR century VII radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 02:25 PM
captshabby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR century VII radio

I have a JR Century VII helicopter radio that I have had for quite a while. It was hardly used and still works fine, but I was wondering if it is still legal?
Old 06-07-2003, 03:58 PM
coloradoz
My Feedback: (38)

I believe the answer depends on your module (NET J72P or NET J72F). But here are some things to look out for.

a) You maybe on a frequency that became obsoleted since 1991 (like 72.960). Check the current approved listing of R/C channel assignments.
b) Also, on a nation-wide basis - channels 20 and 21 are not allowed at a lot of R/C sites because audio/tv channels 3 and 4 intermodulate with r/c channels 20 and 21 (resulting in a safety hazard).
c) Your module is probably OK, but may need to be narrowbanded. I had a C7 and Circus narrowbanded it for me (way back when) - invest a call to Horizon for details - but you maybe OK.
Old 06-07-2003, 04:49 PM
captshabby

The transmitter module is a J72M and it is on channel 44 72.67.
The Rx is a NER 327.
Old 06-07-2003, 05:05 PM
coloradoz
My Feedback: (38)

A J72M module number indicates wide band. My module is the same, except that Circus narrow banded it for me - and it has the gold sticker on the back. I would recommend consulting with Horizon Hobbies from this point out to figure out next steps. Your TX is certainly capable of being used (I still use mine), but it appears like there are 3 possibilities.

a) your TX is already narrowbanded - in which case it should carry the gold sticker (which it does not appear to be your case);
b) your module can be converted to narrow band, which would be a question for Horizon; or
c) you can try to find a gold stickered FM module - available through a number of sources, RCU, Ebay or Horizon, or just about any LHS.

On the RX end of things, if your crystal has a grey plastic cover, its probably OK for narrow band - if it is with black plastic then it is the wide band variety.
Old 06-07-2003, 05:14 PM
captshabby

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth. I'm just tired of looking at it so I was wondering whether it was worth anything or not. Thanks again.