RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec Flash 5 / Prism 7 ????

Old 03-22-2002, 12:51 PM
UK Exile

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hitec Flash 5 / Prism 7 ????

I'm getting back in RC planes after a 12 year break so I'm not up with recent RC equipment specs etc. I've seen many comments here about the Hitec Flash 5X being a very good starter radio set. I've been looking for a used set (note I'm based in UK) & not sucessful so far but have found a what is described as a Prism 7 channel 3 model transmitter for what may be a good price (at an auction). I've looked at Hitec website & it lists the Prism 7X, I assume the " X " on both the Flash 5 & Prism & are new versions. What features do the earlier plain 5 & 7 not have the newer versions do ?

Also it's Tx only, do I have to buy a Hitec receiver or could I buy a Futaba receiver ?

If I must have a matching Hitec Receiver, can they be used with Futaba servos ? I've already got some S128 Futaba servos. I note lots of people using hitec servos with futaba receivers, I assume reverse is ok & possible to use futaba servos with hitec receiver ?
Old 03-22-2002, 12:58 PM
UK Exile

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Also I intend to use throttle on left (mode 2 I think it's called, is it a term for throttle on left that is consistent worldwide or is it reversed USA / UK bit like the side of the road we drive on ?)
Anyway, is it possible to easily move Hitec Tx's throttle side should I get a used set where it's on the right hand side?

I know I could easily do it with my old Futaba FG Gold Series 7 channel, just moved a spring assembly I recall but how about with these new computer radios, is there also wiring changes required to get all the mixing etc correct ?
Old 03-22-2002, 02:13 PM
Jaguar-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hello exile,
My 7X manual says that the "X" tx upgrade included addition of 2 switches and a few small programming changes which provide the enhancements aileron/rudder mixing,elevator/flap mixing, and full trainer capability....... The manual also outlines changing mode 1-2... you select proper mode in programming, and physically move thottle ratchet mechanism......by the way, the manual may be available online from hitecrcd.
MY 7x is a nice radio,easy to use, nice to hold......you should have no problem with futaba compatibility. YMMV, John
Old 03-23-2002, 09:57 AM
UK Exile

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks Jaguar, anyone else know of any differences ?
Old 03-23-2002, 04:42 PM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The earlier Prism 7 did not have shift select (ability to use JR/Airtronis rx's). The early Flash 5 had 2 model memory, limited mixing choices. Since the Hitec Eclipse came out, you can find good used Prism 7X's pretty cheap
Old 03-23-2002, 09:39 PM
UK Exile

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Doubt the lack of shift will ever effect me, I'll just buy matching Rx etc if I manage to get it at the auction. What is pretty cheap ?

Currently I'm hoping on getting it for 30 (Tx, changer & instructions). Whats the max it would be worth ? The only new Prism 7 I could find listed on www in UK was with 4 servos for around 190 complete. Eclipse seems to sell for approx 200 upwards.
Old 03-23-2002, 10:47 PM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's about $45. You can't go wrong for any working computer TX for $45!
Old 03-24-2002, 01:36 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Where did you get $45. You may have to calculate again the other way ??
Old 03-24-2002, 09:31 AM
UK Exile

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

30 works out at about US$42

I've just been outbid at 31, what is the max or $ I should expect to pay ? I'm newl;y enetering RC again & have no idea what used gear to worth . 1/3 new price ? 1/2 new ? more / less ?
Old 03-24-2002, 08:07 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You have to decide what condition it is in. Is it a trusted source. Someone who has done good deals before. You can pay more than half of new for good used(even 80%). You have to decide.
Old 03-26-2002, 08:51 AM
UK Exile

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was higgest bidder at the ebay auction. Got the Prism 7X for 56 (about US$77) but only just as very frantic last minute bidding by others. Don't know if that's a super deal for used kit but new set with 4 servos sells for 180 so my 56 Tx plus buying new Rx @ approx 35 & new flight battories will still save me plenty. I'll use my old stored Futaba S128 servos.