Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Gold dotted Futaba 608FS and 6014FS 2.4 Rx

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:01 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gold dotted Futaba 608FS and 6014FS 2.4 Rx

I have received my gold dotted 608FS and 6014FS. They are superb! Apart from the higher temperature specs and lower standby current (as confirmed elsewhere), the gold dotted versions also resolve some old issues i.e.
- No more twitching in analog servos when the Rx power is switched on. This was a pain for certain functions like retracts.
- No more delay in servo initialization. Previously there was about 1-2 secs delay
Another bonus is I did not have to redo my model setup as nothing changed after switching from the non-dotted to the gold-dotted versions. Well done Futaba!
Old 02-12-2009, 08:26 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gold dotted Futaba 608FS and 6014FS 2.4 Rx

Great to hear; Its interesting that we, the customers, have to make the determination that the Receivers with the Dots on them are apparently new revised Heat Tolerant Low Voltage versions, despite the endless requests to Futaba, Hobbico and Bax to actually Confirm this, this suggests that Futaba is spineless and does not want to admit a problem with the previous versions, heaven forbide they have to recall these older versions and compensate us with replacements, they are no different than the crooks on Wall Street.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:30 AM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

How do you know you have a "gold-dotted" 6014FS?
Old 02-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They have small gold dots near where the antennas exit.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:46 PM
pilotpete2

They aren't going to recall units that are working perfectly well within the published specs.
AFAIK they have replace units for those claiming to have a problem in hotter parts of the country.
Maybe Sony should replace my 50" LCD, since the new model can do 1080P, and the one they sold me is only good to 720P, I wish
Pete
Old 02-12-2009, 04:42 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

They aren't going to recall units that are working perfectly well within the published specs.
AFAIK they have replace units for those claiming to have a problem in hotter parts of the country.
Maybe Sony should replace my 50" LCD, since the new model can do 1080P, and the one they sold me is only good to 720P, I wish
Pete
Thanks for the input Pete. We’ve been looking for someone from Futaba to speak to the gold dot issue and what the plan is for the non-dot receivers. Could you provide a link to the published specs for the 6014. You’re with Futaba and speaking for them, right? I predicted early on that Futaba would come out with a new receiver to solve the problems but everyone including Bax told me there were no plans for a new receiver. I didn’t believe them because I knew a major player in the RC gear market like Futaba wouldn’t want to put people and aircraft at risk.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:14 PM
pilotpete2

I don't work for Futaba, heck I don't even get a free orange shirt
Y'know I haven't been able to find the specs for the R6014 either, I only have the R617Rf receivers, so don't have the info that would come with one.
I was looking forward to talking to the Futaba team at the WRAM show next Saturday and maybe getting a little more info, well it seems they won't be there, even Airtronics is not going to be there showing their new 10 channel radio[:-], sadly that show seems to be dying, I wish I could make Toledo[&o]
It looks as though they have just gone and quietly made internal revisions, just as any other manufacturer would do.
I had been following a long thread on Flying Giants forum, there some folks did some testing of their own on new versions of the receivers.
Here's a link to that thread. http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/f...tted-oven.html
Pete
Old 02-12-2009, 05:45 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW, I just got a new 6014 (my fifth or sixth), first one to be "dotted" ... but this one is a white dot.

Sure would be nice to know what changed...

Dave
Old 02-12-2009, 05:50 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ww2birds

FWIW, I just got a new 6014 (my fifth or sixth), first one to be "dotted" ... but this one is a white dot.

Sure would be nice to know what changed...

Dave
Ran out of gold paint?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:17 PM
carrellh

Here is a quote from the General Motors web site:
"GM reserves the right to make changes at any time and without notice in prices, colors, materials, equipment, specifications, models and availability."

These statements are pretty common to manufactured products.

I suspect Futaba has that type of statement posted somewhere for their product line. If they do, and probably even if they do not:
They can change any product at any time, for any reason (or for no reason), with no obligation to notify anyone or make any adjustments to existing product.

Even if Futaba made a product announcement that the xxx receiver had been improved (or otherwise modified) they likely would be under no obligation to modify or replace the existing units.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:27 PM
DougV

Pete,

Here you go.

Doug.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Hf99295.pdf (39.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 02-12-2009, 07:09 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: carrellh

Here is a quote from the General Motors web site:
"GM reserves the right to make changes at any time and without notice in prices, colors, materials, equipment, specifications, models and availability."

These statements are pretty common to manufactured products.

I suspect Futaba has that type of statement posted somewhere for their product line. If they do, and probably even if they do not:
They can change any product at any time, for any reason (or for no reason), with no obligation to notify anyone or make any adjustments to existing product.

Even if Futaba made a product announcement that the xxx receiver had been improved (or otherwise modified) they likely would be under no obligation to modify or replace the existing units.
Of course manufacturers change and improve products. No one is suggesting that they don't do that or shouldn't do that, which is what it appears that you are arguing against.

What people are saying is that they're concerned that the products they have purchased may not work in the environments in which such a product should reasonably be expected to work. People have been looking for some straight talk from Hobbico about this and have not gotten it. What people want is information with which they can use to make decisions. Some of those decisions may or may not have a negative impact on Hobbico, which is why it appears that Hobbico is unwilling to be straight with their customers. Nobody likes to be yanked around.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:38 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Well! Futaba says max temp 60 degrees working temperature! How warm do you thing a black covered airplane gets under a hot summer sun???
I wonder what the Spektrum radio can stand???
Old 02-13-2009, 10:56 AM
LAN

ORIGINAL: jaka
I wonder what the Spektrum radio can stand???
Jan, I guess you did you not see the Spektrum ad's in the US magazines lately? They tested a Spektrum receiver until it physically melted, but still worked... and then made some clever remarks about "the competition", firmly addressed to Futaba. That was kind of funny, US advertising is sometimes much more entertaining than what we have here in Europe.

/Leif
Old 02-13-2009, 11:15 AM
ww2birds

You really have to hand it to the JR marketing guys .. they had ads out making fun of Futaba on the heat issue before Futaba had even made a sensible comment about their own product. Like my 14 year old son would say "owned!".

And, they have also turned their requirement for all the satellite receivers into a marketing positive "I wouldln't trust MY expensive airplane to a radio with only one receiver!" .. bet that's pretty compelling to the general public.

The same ad in a technical magazine would say "I wouldn't trust MY expensive airplane to a radio that needed a Rube Goldberg setup with multiple satellites".

I think there should be an annual award for an ad that takes a technical disadvantage and turns it into an apparent advantage!

Seems to me that in the end, both the JR and Futaba systems work well, and the Futaba people are shooting themselves in the foot by being distant, secretive, and a bit imperious, and the JR people are being smart and quick.

There is also a huge personality difference in the two rep teams .. JR is friendly and helpful .. really nice guys who seem to genuinely be in it to assist anyone needing it, and the F team is haughty, and likes to strut around acting important, and if asked, seem annoyed and put upon (yes, I've asked for advice and assistance .. once or twice). I always think of the evil galactic empire and the death star when making this comparison.

Interesting world we live in...

Dave

Old 02-13-2009, 12:49 PM
pilotpete2

While there is no doubt that Spektrum receivers do not seem have an issue with heat.
I suspect that they subjected that melted receiver to an extremely fast exposure to heat, where the case melted before the internal temperatures got too high, just my 2 cents, but I seriously doubt that the receiver could have continued to to operate with the internal temp at 350F as the ad implied. I'd like to see that one demonstrated in an controlled test environment. I ain't from Missouri, but they still have to "show me"
The Spektrum ad showing the Spirit of Saint Louis implying that having satellite receivers is the same as having multiple receivers for redundancy is a very misleading ad. Kool Aid anyone
Pete
Old 02-13-2009, 03:21 PM
carrellh

While there is no doubt that Spektrum receivers do not seem have an issue with heat.
Pete
But, Spektrum receivers do shut down at a voltage point that many think is too high. Horizon continues to ship the systems with 4.8 volt packs in spite of it being well documented on RCU (and other internet forums) that a 6.0 volt pack is needed.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Silent-AV8R

the F team is haughty, and likes to strut around acting important, and if asked, seem annoyed and put upon
Hey!! Who are you calling haughty??

You better take that back or as soon as I finish my champagne and caviar I am going to jump in the limo and have my driver take me to your house and have one of my people wag his finger at you in the sternest possible manner!!

Haughty? Huh!!!! [&:]
Old 02-13-2009, 07:06 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

But, Spektrum receivers do shut down at a voltage point that many think is too high. Horizon continues to ship the systems with 4.8 volt packs in spite of it being well documented on RCU (and other internet forums) that a 6.0 volt pack is needed.
I guess my experience has been different than yours? I've flown my Spektrums on 4.8v all of last season with no problems. Did you have problems?

Oh wait, you don't actually have any experience with the system, do you?

Why is it that any thread about problems with one system must inevitably become about something else? Some of you guys can't stop being brand zealots long enough to be consumer zealots. Where are your loyalties, and why are they there?
Old 02-13-2009, 08:47 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pete

It not that a six volt pack is needed but a pack with sufficient capacity for the type
of plane and or servos that is being used so the pack voltage wont drop to much
under heavy load of current draw. If the capacity is not there the voltage will also
drop out with a six volt pack.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:44 PM
ww2birds

Nicely done Mr. Silent-av8r .. touche :-)

Well, I guess I can only say what I said about the orange shirts I have met .. 1000 pardons if there are cuddly storm troopers out there somewhere.

Actually, now that I think of it, Dave Shulman would be an exception .. he is a very nice (and cool) guy :-) But .. wasn't he a convert from the other side .. hmm....

OK, I guess I have to take it back ... so keep the limo home tonight.

Dave
Old 02-13-2009, 11:07 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rajul

I have received my gold dotted 608FS and 6014FS. They are superb! Apart from the higher temperature specs and lower standby current (as confirmed elsewhere), the gold dotted versions also resolve some old issues i.e.
- No more twitching in analog servos when the Rx power is switched on. This was a pain for certain functions like retracts.
no more twitching?...this alone will get me to buy a couple more 608's.

thx for the update rajul
Old 02-14-2009, 02:08 AM
Silent-AV8R

OK, I guess I have to take it back ... so keep the limo home tonight.
Jeeves will unhappy since I promised him a night out, but I guess he will simply have to learn to deal with it.

Sorry, have to run now I'm off for a massage and then some sushi eaten off the belly of a comely vixen. Being haughty is hard work, but somebody has to do it!!.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:43 AM
pilotpete2

Capacity or "C" rating??????
When comparing AA cells which one do you think will hold voltage best under a heavy load. (A) 2800mAh Nimh, or (B) 700mAh Nicd (Sanyo).
I'll put my money on (B)
Pete
Old 02-14-2009, 03:56 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Capacity or "C" rating??????
When comparing AA cells which one do you think will hold voltage best under a heavy load. (A) 2800mAh Nimh, or (B) 700mAh Nicd (Sanyo).
I'll put my money on (B)
Pete
I agree.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.