Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Jr Matchboxes????

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 02:25 PM
m_saraga
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jr Matchboxes????

I have a 35% EDGE 540, and I am using 3 JR Matchboxes; one for each wing, and one for the rudder.

However, when I do a range check, all my surfaces "twitch".

Originally, I had the matchboxes as close to the receiver as possible, then someone told me to use an 8" extension but the problem is still there. I called Horizon, and they told me that it was impossible for that to happen.

I'm using two duralite batteries with regulators.

Anyone has an idea of what I can do to fix the bug?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Matt
866-535 4407 Ext. 207
Old 06-09-2003, 04:25 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Default Re: Jr Matchboxes????

Originally posted by m_saraga
I have a 35% EDGE 540, and I am using 3 JR Matchboxes; one for each wing, and one for the rudder.

However, when I do a range check, all my surfaces "twitch".

Originally, I had the matchboxes as close to the receiver as possible, then someone told me to use an 8" extension but the problem is still there. I called Horizon, and they told me that it was impossible for that to happen.

I'm using two duralite batteries with regulators.

Anyone has an idea of what I can do to fix the bug?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Matt

Matt,
Make a search for Steve Faust on RCU, I beleive he knows quite a bit about them. I'm sure he can help you.
866-535 4407 Ext. 207
Old 06-10-2003, 04:13 AM
Lynx

Sounds like you just have too much wire in the plane, have you tried ferrite beads or servo isolators? Do the matchboxes function as isolators to the servo's or will feedback collect through them?
Old 06-10-2003, 12:26 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

How many servos on each? - I assume two servos on each wing, and two or three on the rudder. Does it happen with the engine running, or both running and stopped? What voltage are you regulating to? If its an adjustable regulator, make sure it adjusted properly to the correct voltage.

Some things to try;

Disconnect one of the matchboxes, and see if you still have the problem. If so, unplug the next one, and so on until they are all disconnected. If they are all disconnected, and it still exists, its obviously something else. If it stops with them all disconnected, try connecting one and see if it still exists. Basically, try to isolate if its one matchbox, or just using any matchbox causes the problem.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:20 PM
m_saraga

Default PROBLEM SOLVED

Thanks to everyone that replied.

After trying all your suggestions and then some, I decided to get a Hitec servo programmer and get rid of the matchboxes, and now the problem is solved.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:27 PM
sfaust

Matt,

What did you find? Inquiring minds want to know, and it will help others following this thread.

Thanks,
Old 06-10-2003, 01:42 PM
m_saraga

Default FINDINGS

Basically, I found out that, even though I don't know if the Matchboxes work right with JR servos, they definitely don't with either Hitec or Futaba.

I eliminated the regulated batteries, eliminated the matchboxes one by one, changed the servos switching brands, changed the length of the extensions, type of extension - i.e. twisted and straight- used RF Filters, every imaginable possibility, and I couldn't get them to work, and when I read about the guy with the 40% Fiberclassics having an accident due possibly to the matchboxes, I decided they had to go.

I know what I described sounds simple, but I spent a good couple of days testing, and couldn't get good results, so, that's the end of the matchboxes for me.

Now I have 4 for sale, if anyones is interested, a $25 a piece!!

Thanks for your interest.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:45 PM
sfaust

Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed. We are hearing more and more issues with matchboxes. I wonder.....
Old 06-10-2003, 01:51 PM
m_saraga

I would like to hear comments on Futaba's MSA-10 matchboxes also, to see if they have the same problem.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:47 AM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

m_saraga,
trying to figure this out. what servos were you running with the match boxes. I would assume hitec digitals, since you said you used a hitec digital programmer. which servos are you running. And how do you like them.

I am looking to move up to digitals, but I can't descide which way to go. also what radio system are you using.

thanks,
Old 06-12-2003, 05:07 AM
tobytorkn
My Feedback: (1)

i have to agree with what matt is finding. i had a matchbox in my columbo 34% and could only range test to about 25 feet with my 9zap and antenna down. i put a hd 8" extension and moved it at an angle away from the receiver and i could get about 50'. i got off my butt and programmed the servos with my hitec programmer and just "y"d my 2 servos per aileron and removed the matchbox and i'm getting 200' with the antennae down. i have zero loyalty to any radio brand but something is up causing some type of radio interference using these matchboxes. maybe it is the long extensions connected to the matchbox from the servo? who knows. i didn't go through all of the experimenting that matt did, but i do know that after i removed the matchbox the ground testing got better. again this was using just hitec digitals and no jr equipment. hope this helps. toby....
Old 06-12-2003, 06:00 AM
MO_Radio_Tech

JR mathcboxes are probably only designed to work with JR servos. Problems are always possible when one mixes brands.

I do not think there is anything wrong with the Matchbox. I do not think they cause radio interference.

Have you ever opened a Matchbox? There is almost nothing inside them. a rotary switch, two SPDT's, an LED, a big IC, and not much else. The IC is the brain that does the work. A matchbox merely modifies signal to the servos plugged into it. The modification is determined by your programming. There is nothing there to cause radio interference. The beauty of the design is in its simplicity.

I would blame other equipment before the matchbox. There is so little to go wrong inside of one.

Matchboxes have two things going against them; they are a new product and they are JR.

It is human nature to blame the new product. Anything new is always suspect.

I am not sure why folks on RCU want to blame everything from burnt toast to the failing economy and volcanos on JR. Many Futaba/Hitec/fill-in-the-brand people just choose to hate JR and blame it for everything. They pass this along to folks to use JR until the JR users doubt their JR stuff too. It is unreasonable.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:07 AM
tobytorkn

dear mo, i am a jr user. i have a 10x, 8103 and about $2 k of 8411 servos. i simply stated the facts that i have seen with my own 2 eyes. i don't blame jr for the matchbox causing interference. you are probably correct in saying that if i use jr equipment with this unit i will probably have no problems. it just so happened that this plane was equiped with hitec 5945's. it did cause intereference which resulted in POOR ground testing. this was with or without the motor ignition on. replacing the unit with a y connector resolved the problem. i know several people on the nc imac circuit who run matchboxes with zero problems, i'm just stating the facts i've seen. toby....
Old 06-12-2003, 06:16 AM
MO_Radio_Tech

So you will admit the Matchbox did not cause decreased range?

It was he combination of programmable Hitec servos with the JR Matchbox that caused decreased range.

The Hitec servos were not designed to work with the matchbox. The Matchbox was not designed to work with these Hitec's.

Nothing wrong with either product by either brand.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:27 AM
tobytorkn

yes, in this application IT DID cause a decreased range. please reread my statements. the reason i do not know. i have never fully tested the unit with ONLY JR equipment. would it cause a problem with ONLY JR equipment<----i do not know. to my knowledge though you can run other brand servos throught a matchbox. i cannot recall it stating in the manual to run only jr servos throught the system. maybe i'm wrong in this. have a happy day. toby....
Old 06-12-2003, 06:36 AM
MO_Radio_Tech

Toby, I was not botherd by anything you did or wrote. It was other posts by other folks on this thread and other threads. There is no problem with the matchbox.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:39 AM
tobytorkn

thanks mo, i agree with you that jr makes great stuff. sometimes its a teathing procedure to find out what products work good with other products. happy flying, toby....
Old 06-12-2003, 12:36 PM
m_saraga

Default JR is Great

I am seeing a lot of controversy about the statements made! I don't understand why, since nobody stated that JR or for that matter any brand is better or worse than any other.

My initial post was just a mere question, never meant to cause misunderstandings.

Anyhow, even though I consider JR to be an excellent brand, as well as Futaba, which I mainly use, and all others, if what we are reading is true, i.e. JR matchboxes are not meant to be used with any other brand of servos, then JR is failing to state so, furthermore, when I contacted Horizon, which is the distributor for JR, they stated that the matchboxes worked perfectly with any brand of equipment, so, even though JR is one of the best brands available, or the best to some for that matter, there is a compatibility problem they are not disclosing, which is causing problems to the users, and many accidents, as a matter of fact.

There is no need to let this discussion grow into a brand discussion, it's just meant to clarify issues pertaining a certain piece of equipment.

Thank you.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:58 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: FINDINGS

Now I have 4 for sale, if anyones is interested, a $25 a piece!!

Thanks for your interest.

I'll take all 4. Do you take Paypal?
Old 06-12-2003, 01:06 PM
m_saraga

Default Paypal

Unfortunately, I don't, but I could sign up for it. Idon't know how the process goes, but if you explain it to me, I'll sign up.\

Thanks

Matt
[email protected]
866-535 4407 Ext.207
Old 06-12-2003, 01:50 PM
ml3456

Toby,

How about taking some of those $2 K of 8411 servos and replace the Hitec stuff and reinstall the Matchbox. Then do a range check to see if it was Matchbox or the use of different brand equipment. I know this may be a lot of work, but may stop some of this brand discussion/bashing with fact, not opinions.

mark
Old 06-12-2003, 05:35 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Paypal

Unfortunately, I don't, but I could sign up for it. Idon't know how the process goes, but if you explain it to me, I'll sign up.\

Thanks

Matt
[email protected]
866-535 4407 Ext.207

Hi Matt

Sent you an email
Old 06-12-2003, 09:54 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If Mr Matt doesnt take them mail me!!
Old 06-12-2003, 09:56 PM
sfaust

If Mr Matt passes. Then Mr JohnVH passes. I won't
Old 06-12-2003, 10:39 PM
MO_Radio_Tech

Matchboxes probably work great with many different servos by several brands. These Hitec programmable servos may be a different story because they are much different than normal servos. If someone at Horizon told you the Matchbox would work with all servos by all manufacturers, they probably made a mistake. From reading Danny's posts, I doubt he has ever said that. It is always a bit risky to mix brands on equipment. Good ground range checks should always be performed. Sounds like Toby caught it early enough.

I suspect that Futaba does not really care if there products work with JR or Hitec. Same for JR, Same for most brands. Us modelers always end up being the guinea pigs on brand compatability. If the Matchbox came out before the Hitec Progammable servos, does anyone think Hitec would have redsigned their servos to work with it?

Hitec progammable servos are designed to be a competing system to the Matchbox, and Futaba's new matcher.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.