Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 10c and Spektrum DSM2 AIRMOD

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:46 AM
MasterAlex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 10c and Spektrum DSM2 AIRMOD

Guys

After some ineffective searches here on RCU I figured a post was in order. I have the new Futaba 10c and would like to also fly Spektrum DSM2 using air module from Horizon [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMMSFUT7](here)[/link]. According to the tech notes on the Horizon page, this module is compatable with the following Futaba systems:

7U Series Radios
8U Series Radios
8J Series Radios
9C Series Radios
9Z Series Radios
FN Series Radios

Since the 10c isn't listed, is there an Air Module that works with it? Might this list of supported systems be outdated? Does this module in fact work with the 10c? Anyone know for sure?

Thanks!!

-MA
Old 02-16-2009, 05:27 PM
MasterAlex

Default RE: Futaba 10c and Spektrum DSM2 AIRMOD

I talked to Horizon product support today - this DOES NOT WORK with the Futaba 10c. Bummer!

Moderator, please feel free to close this thread.

-MA
Old 02-16-2009, 07:57 PM
pilotpete2

I would not take the Tech at Horizon as the last word, his answer makes no sense. The 10C is compatible with any module that will work with the radios in that list, just make sure to set any model that would use the Spektrum module to PPM, it should work. There may be an issue with the hardware for mounting the Spektrum antenna in place of the 72Mhz antenna, but that doesn't mean you can't use the module, as there are many folks using 2.4Ghz antennas directly connected to the back of the module. I would wait and see if you get any feedback from someone who is actually using the Spektrum air module in a 10C.
Good luck,
Pete
Old 02-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

I ordered one, hoping to find out if it works this coming weekend!
Old 02-16-2009, 09:31 PM
MasterAlex

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E

I ordered one, hoping to find out if it works this coming weekend!
Well then, I anxiously await your findings Hughes!! Thanks for posting!

-MA
Old 02-16-2009, 09:42 PM
victorzamora

Three things:
1) The 10C is an AWESOME radio...good choice.
2) Any module compatible with the 9C should work perfectly well on the 10C
3) WHY are you going DSM2 on a 10C?? I mean, why not just save the money and go with a 9303?
Old 02-17-2009, 01:36 AM
Hughes500E

To bind with the Vapors and what not for indoor!
Old 02-17-2009, 07:58 AM
MasterAlex

ORIGINAL: victorzamora

Three things:
1) The 10C is an AWESOME radio...good choice.
2) Any module compatible with the 9C should work perfectly well on the 10C
3) WHY are you going DSM2 on a 10C?? I mean, why not just save the money and go with a 9303?
Thanks for the vote of confidence on the 10c. I have had it since Christmas, just not used it yet here in Indiana. On your second point, I agree - which is why I thought this module would be plug and play, but they don't list it on their website, so I figured I'd ask the experts. They claim there's a pin difference and it will not work - just relaying the message.

As for why? I just picked up a used plane that has a Spektrum receiver in it. I can either plunk down $100 for a FASST receiver or purchase the DSM Module for $110 (including receiver) which opens me up to choice regarding receivers, yet still flying with the 10c. I thought that was one of the benefits of the modular radio .

-MA
Old 02-17-2009, 09:49 AM
pilotpete2

And if you get a DSM2 module you can fly the DSM2 Parkzone stuff.
I have FASST and Spektrum modules for my 9C. For the bigger stuff I prefer FASST. With our radios, we can fly just about any system[8D].
I would ask Horizon if they had actually tried the DM8 module in a 10C, I highly doubt it
Pete
Old 02-17-2009, 09:54 AM
MasterAlex

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

I would ask Horizon if they had actually tried the DM8 module in a 10C, I highly doubt it
Pete
Actually, that's exactly what they told me. They said they were testing the 10c in house and it was not working. FWIW, this was not someone on the level 1 support line - I was transferred into their Product Management department by mistake and actually spoke with one of their product guys.

-MA
Old 02-17-2009, 05:49 PM
BXC53

After reading this thread I got curious..I have a DM 8 module I've been using with my 9C to fly a Vapor.
I just plugged ithe DM 8 into my new 10C and after reversing the throttle and elevator, the Vapor works fine with that combo.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:49 PM
MasterAlex

ORIGINAL: BXC53

After reading this thread I got curious..I have a DM 8 module I've been using with my 9C to fly a Vapor.
I just plugged ithe DM 8 into my new 10C and after reversing the throttle and elevator, the Vapor works fine with that combo.
Thanks BXC53! Sounds like I can make the purchase and not be concerned about it working.

-MA
Old 02-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Hughes500E

Good news, this means mine will work as well, she'll be happy!
Old 03-01-2009, 03:24 AM
Hughes500E

No problem so far, 10C and Spektrum module working fine!
Old 03-21-2009, 08:28 AM
MasterAlex

Here’s an update for anyone following along and wondering what I’ve done. Based on several people’s IM correspondence, I decided to purchase the Airmod. Since I also own a Hitec Optic6, I figured that I could at least use it there if it really didn’t work in the 10c. The other thing that really nagged at me is the 72Mhz module for the 10c is also what is used in the 9c – clearly they are compatible. So if the Airmod can work in the 9c, and the 72Mhz Futaba module works in both … why can’t the Airmod work in the 10c. Something just didn’t add up.

So I purchased the Airmod. Guys, this works just fine. There is absolutely no reason you shouldn’t use the airmod in the 10c. The antenna mounts onto the 10c either by removing the 72Mhz antenna and replacing it with a plastic adapter (which has to be slightly modified as it’s just a bit short – nothing a little knife work can’t solve) or you can mount a different adapter directly to your 72 Mhz antenna. Either way works.

So you might be wondering what I think about my Horizon experience with them telling me it wouldn’t work. Well, I honestly think they were trying to make a sale of their radio gear. Maybe they really hadn’t tested the 10c and couldn’t legally tell me it would work … I don’t know. The litigious times we live in makes very honest people think twice about offering opinions and advice, so I don’t necessarily blame the individual I spoke with. I did point Horizon to this thread, so they know it exists and what you all are saying…

Hope this helps.

-MA
Old 03-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

If you have a AR 9000 or JR 921 receiver, do you get all 9 channels when using the Spektrum module with the 10C Futaba ???
Old 03-21-2009, 09:27 AM
victorzamora

No, you only get 8 channels with the 10C in PPM mode (which is what you need to run for the module).

Oh, and Alex....that makes sense. In fact, I had forgotten about this thread and caught myself looking at the Vapor and the mCX in my LHS wishing I had a DSM2 radio. I guess if I get the chance to buy a plane RTF with a DSM2 rx in it I might as well. On second thought, I'm modifying my 10C to make the antenna look proprietary...so the module wouldn't work. Oh well.

Congrats on it working!
Old 03-21-2009, 09:30 AM
pilotpete2

No, The Spektrum module for Futaba is only 8 channels, as the transmitter must be set to PPM to use the Spektrum module. The Futaba TM-10 module does not use PPM, so can give you al 10 channels.
Pete
Old 03-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: MasterAlex

So you might be wondering what I think about my Horizon experience with them telling me it wouldn’t work. Well, I honestly think they were trying to make a sale of their radio gear. Maybe they really hadn’t tested the 10c and couldn’t legally tell me it would work … I don’t know. The litigious times we live in makes very honest people think twice about offering opinions and advice, so I don’t necessarily blame the individual I spoke with. I did point Horizon to this thread, so they know it exists and what you all are saying…

Hope this helps.

-MA
Well it's entirely possible that the Spektrum module is not FCC certified for the 10C as that radio was not out when the module was released. If that's the case, then Horizon couldn't sell it for the 10C.

I know this sounds a bit stupid, but IIRC one of the things that held back the release of the 10C for quite some time was getting the FCC certification for that radio. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if that is the reason since dealing with the FCC isn't any different that trying to deal with the IRS....
Old 03-21-2009, 09:37 PM
MasterAlex

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

Well it's entirely possible that the Spektrum module is not FCC certified for the 10C as that radio was not out when the module was released. If that's the case, then Horizon couldn't sell it for the 10C.

I know this sounds a bit stupid, but IIRC one of the things that held back the release of the 10C for quite some time was getting the FCC certification for that radio. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if that is the reason since dealing with the FCC isn't any different that trying to deal with the IRS....
Sure, I suppose anything's possible. Why tell me it didn't work and that they had tested it in house, if it was an FCC "issue"? Again, no real answer here ...

-MA
Old 03-22-2009, 01:31 PM
pilotpete2

I believe that Bax touched on the FCC issue in another thread some time back. The Spektrum module comes complete with its own antenna system and is certified on that basis, so there should be no FCC issue. This is a different situation than when using a 72Mhz Hitec Spectra module in a Futaba Tx, as the antenna is not part of the package.
Pete