Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

RX crystal question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 12:12 PM
VA
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX crystal question

I have been into RC almost 20 years and feel I SHOULD know this.

I have always bought my flight packs from the local hobbyshop with the crystal installed to my channel (22)
yes, i am still rocking the FM band ...for now but eventually plan to go spektrum with telemettry.

So my question is:

I need a channel 22 crystal for my RC jet project. I got a rcvr from a bud who got out of the hobby and have a chance to get a crystal from Hitec from a member here for cheap.

So will a Hitec crystal wotk in a futaba receiver? i mena they are both Dual conversion, the common sense side of my brain says it will work..so will it?
I remember reading about issues with TX's crystals but not rcvrs.

Just wanted to know so I don't waste anyones time.

Thanks a million in advance
Old 02-17-2009, 12:29 PM
carrellh

Default RE: RX crystal question

I would not risk it. Futaba crystals are $15 max. You cannot replace a model for $15.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:37 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a Futaba crystal with a Futaba receiver.
Use a Hitec Crystal with a Hitec Receiver.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Mr. Mugen

Funny thing is I run GWS xtals in my berg which states to only use berg xtals....works fine and has for a long time. Same goes for Futaba rx's with off brand crystals like performance divises xtals or Esky xtals...all work fine. Now If I were to put one fo these combo's in a jet....I just wouldn't. Like stated above, futaba rx xtals are 15 bucks max..... For my smaller planes I would not hesitate as long as the ground check went well. Never had an issue to date. Your call.

Kevin
Old 02-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: VA

So will a Hitec crystal wotk in a futaba receiver? i mena they are both Dual conversion, the common sense side of my brain says it will work..so will it?
I remember reading about issues with TX's crystals but not rcvrs.
You will hear a million people saying that they have been using brand X crystals with brand Y receiver. The bottom line is what carrellh stated above:

I would not risk it. Futaba crystals are $15 max. You cannot replace a model for $15.
To that i would add, that you can't be safe enough. What if you cause and accident because of a $15 part?

Rafael
Old 02-17-2009, 05:11 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Performance Devices makes crystals for every major brand of receiver:

http://www.performancedevices.com

I trust their $7 dual conversion receiver crystals for Futaba receivers as much or more than I trust Futaba's $15 crystals in my Futaba receivers.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:58 PM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I looked at the web site for Performance Devices. I read the section about why use our crystals. All it said is that a lot of people are happy with them and offered zero technical information why I should use them. I was hoping to get something like the temp drift so that they could qualify why I should use their crystals.

Now for the big thing I noticed, they sell a different part number for HiTec and Futaba double conversion crystals. So they know there is a difference between them. Basically they are saying to use their HiTec crystal in a Hitec receiver and their Futaba crystal in a Futaba receiver. If not they would only sell one part for both receivers.

If you measure the SMT cap in both brands of receivers that loads the crystal it is different. I would bet that Performance devices figured this out and that is why they do not sell the same crystal for both brands of receivers. So from this once again says do not use a HiTec crystal in a Futaba receiver.

There is a difference in the design of both of the receivers.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:27 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

If you really wish to know the technical reasons why Performance Devices believes that they offer a superior crystal versus Futaba's OEM crystal, you should e-mail them and ask. These folks really know their radio crystals and I'm sure they would have plenty of technical data to back up their claims of quality.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:05 AM
crossman

The bottom line, as I am reading this, is that you do have options other than the manufacture's own cyrstal that may be compatible. But, you need to use a crystal that is made for the Rx that you have, whoever makes it. A Hitec crystal will be made for a Hitec Rx and a Futaba crystal will be for a Futaba Rx, they will not interchange properly. The third party crytstals are a viable option as long as you are getting the right one.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:37 AM
VA
My Feedback: (1)

Going Futaba.

Thx.