Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

NIMH receiver batteries charge with NICD charger that comes with TX/RX?

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

NIMH receiver batteries charge with NICD charger that comes with TX/RX?

Old 02-22-2009, 10:38 AM
flensr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NIMH receiver batteries charge with NICD charger that comes with TX/RX?

Will the NIMH receiver batteries charge properly using the charger that comes with the TX/RX? I need some new receiver batteries and all I've ever used are the generic 600 or 700mah nicd batteries, but I'd like to switch to the newer higher capacity nimh receiver batteries. But will I have to buy a new charger to be able to use those?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:55 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: NIMH receiver batteries charge with NICD charger that comes with TX/RX?

The charger that comes with the radio is generically referred to as a WallWort. It usually charges at 50ma to 100ma. This is essentially a Trickle Charge for larger NiMh batteries. You charge for 18 hours and you should be fine.

With a better charger that has Peak Detection and the ability to Cycle the batteries, you have much more control over how the batteries are charged and conditioned.

Monitor the voltage of the batteries, under load, with a good ESV, and you should be OK.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:58 AM
carrellh

Default RE: NIMH receiver batteries charge with NICD charger that comes with TX/RX?

The regular charger will work, it just takes longer to do the job.

You can get a charger for $18 that is good for overnight charging of higher capacity packs
http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-9.html
Scroll down and find item CH96
Universal, Rx 4.8V/180mA & 6V/150mA, Tx 9.6V/120mA
Old 02-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not only will the wall wart do an acceptable job, your batteries will last lots longer if that is all you ever use to charge them. Sure a fast charger is faster (why else call it a fast charger?) but is harder on your batteries than the wall wart is. With the wall wart, if you have the time, you have the best of things. And yes, it will work for both 4 and 5 cell NiCad or NiMh.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:05 PM
flensr

Thanks! I'm on a tight budget and don't mind long charge times, so this helps.