Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:02 AM
ExcaliburIII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Gizmo,
Plugging a single battery with a Y harness into the SPC and servo ports won't help. When the pack voltage drops under load the SPC will see the same voltage as the servos.
Personally I only use A123's so I have never seen a brownout. I also have two inputs from the Fromeco switch going to each end of the reciever buss with Y-Harnesses. Never used the SPC on my gassers but plan on using it with a seperate LIPO on the foamy. Your change to a 5 cell ni-cad was the key to no brownouts, a two cell 1100mah A123 would
fly .60 size sport planes all day and you can recharge in 15 minutes.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Gungadin

I toasted two Hitec 225BB servo's with A123 batt. They each lasted for about 15 flights. I had them on the throttle. Don't think they can handle the 7.2 volts fresh off the charger. Switched them out to Futaba digitals and have no more issues.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:12 AM
bss_rcu

ORIGINAL: Gungadin

I toasted two Hitec 225BB servo's with A123 batt. They each lasted for about 15 flights. I had them on the throttle. Don't think they can handle the 7.2 volts fresh off the charger. Switched them out to Futaba digitals and have no more issues.
It's relaxing to hear such definite answers (sorry about your toast though), atleast then I know that receiver/Battery is ok. Freshly charged 6v NiMH also reaches 7v or so. I think Hitech should stop saying these servos are rated for 6v (or atleast should mention to use regs).

Anyone faced A123 problem with HS625MG? I have a spare 625mg but scared to put analog servo to 6v lest they go toast/mad.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:22 AM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

For what its worth heres my list of Hitec Sx's that have been working no prob on 6v 1700mah Nicads. My packs typically peak at 7.3v. I only run 6v packs with my Optima's.

Cheers.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:22 AM
czaiss

I use a 4 cell nimh pack, according to the telemetry, they start the day around 5.5Vand end around 5.0V. I've been making packs out of AA Energizer NIMH. They have awsome capacity, 2400mah. I use one pack even on my giants with 8 servos, However I do use a separate pack for ignition battery. I can fly all day and not even come close to wearing them out, I think a full day draws about 900mah out of each. The little planes use 400mah or so.

The early ones had issues with self discharge but the new chemistry they have seems to hold very well, and besided who in their right mind would leave them for a month them take them out for a flight without charging.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

Are the Hitec Guys going to answer some of the questions that were asked here ?

Michel
Old 06-22-2010, 04:18 PM
lafjax

I have a question. Are the trim steps in subtrim the same size as the trim steps on the main screen? If I have trimmed out my plane with 17 down elevator units on the main screen can I go to subtrim and set down elevator to 17 units and go back to the main screen and set down elevator trim to zero and achieve the same thing as I had without using subtrim.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:30 PM
JIMF14D

Put your throw gauge on your elevator and do it and find out fast! But Ido you think that it is a good idea to take that much trim out using sub-trim instead of adjusting the clevis? Won't you end up with assymetrical up/down throws?

Jim D

Old 06-22-2010, 06:55 PM
lafjax

Yes I hear you...it was just an example. I just wanted to know if Mike or AT new about the trim steps.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:51 PM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

I just received a Aurora 9 yesterday and to my surprise there was a coupon for the free receiver in the box. I was under the assumption that the deal was over, but I'll ask anyway.

Mike, is the coupon for the free 7 channel receiver still valid and being honored??????????

With fingers crossed,
Paul
Old 06-23-2010, 12:44 AM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: michel gravelle

Hi

Any news from you Hitec guys about the Telemetry . Tower has it marked for late June and waiting for Hitec for delivery . Don,t worry it,s not a rant [8D]

Michel
We're finalizing the manual for the telemetry and V1.07 update that goes with it.

Mike.

ORIGINAL: bss_rcu

ORIGINAL: Gungadin

It's relaxing to hear such definite answers (sorry about your toast though), atleast then I know that receiver/Battery is ok. Freshly charged 6v NiMH also reaches 7v or so. I think Hitech should stop saying these servos are rated for 6v (or atleast should mention to use regs).

Anyone faced A123 problem with HS625MG? I have a spare 625mg but scared to put analog servo to 6v lest they go toast/mad.
Peak voltage is over 7V yes, but A freshly charged 5 Cell NiCd/Mh pack is 6.75v and quickly settles down from there once a load is applied. This is much different than the A123's which start and stay at a much higher voltage. None of the Hitec servos rated for 6V would require a regulator if using a 5 Cell Ni Cd/Mh. The 225 servos for example pack a lot of punch in a small package but their size means a smaller motor which is more susceptible than a standard size servo with similar torque to overheating if pushed hard. Torque alone should not be the deciding factor when choosing a servo.

Since the 625MG is a standard sized servo it is more capable of handling the A123's but if you're asking it to perform close to it's max then the life would be reduced. Just as any servo... if you need 100in/oz of torque and that's all you have then the servo is operating at 100% where if you use a servo with 200in/oz it's working half as hard so things like motors and amps don't get as hot and the likelihood for failure is considerably lower.

ORIGINAL: lafjax

I have a question. Are the trim steps in subtrim the same size as the trim steps on the main screen? If I have trimmed out my plane with 17 down elevator units on the main screen can I go to subtrim and set down elevator to 17 units and go back to the main screen and set down elevator trim to zero and achieve the same thing as I had without using subtrim.
I'm not sure... the trim steps are adjustable but I'm not sure if the default of 12 makes it the same as one step of subtrim. I'll check on this, but let me know what you find out too. Personally I don't like to use more than 20 steps of subtrim so my bet is that they are not the same. If it's too far out then adjust mechanically to keep the proper geometry.

ORIGINAL: 42etus

I just received a Aurora 9 yesterday and to my surprise there was a coupon for the free receiver in the box. I was under the assumption that the deal was over, but I'll ask anyway.

Mike, is the coupon for the free 7 channel receiver still valid and being honored??????????

With fingers crossed,
Paul
I've been saying that most but not all radios in the marketplace will have the coupons and that's all that matters. There is no deadline for redeeming this coupon.... Send it in! Hopefully you won't have to wait as long as the current batch of owners. At least some of these guys have finally got them. And we are still processing orders so it shouldn't be too much longer for those still waiting.

Mike.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:29 AM
bss_rcu

ORIGINAL: gsoav8r

For what its worth heres my list of Hitec Sx's that have been working no prob on 6v 1700mah Nicads. My packs typically peak at 7.3v. I only run 6v packs with my Optima's.

Cheers.
Thanks for the list! As you mentioned, you are using them on optima/6v, have these servos gone sufficient number flights? say 20-30 flights on 6v? I started seeing the problem only after flying for quite sometime on A123.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:35 AM
bss_rcu

Thanks for replying Mike. I understand 225mg subject to max loads on high voltage will lead to shorter life. For me it's on 46size models elevator (low throws).

Will use 625mg on throttle so that's almost no load for this servo. Will replace 225mg by 7965mg. A123 is proving costly :-)

Sorry about streching servos related questions on this thread; wan't sure initially if it was Rx problem.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:13 AM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: bss_rcu

ORIGINAL: gsoav8r

Cheers.
Thanks for the list! As you mentioned, you are using them on optima/6v, have these servos gone sufficient number flights? say 20-30 flights on 6v? I started seeing the problem only after flying for quite sometime on A123.
Hi, good question. The anologs have a varying combination of use so far in three different models ranging from ~30 to ~120 flights. The 5055 digital is new, ~10 flights, and is in a light use app controlling a retract valve. The 80's and 300 were in light use app's as well. Throttle, rudder, valves... The 400's and 600's are driving flight control surfaces; elevator, ailerons, flaps, rudder and nose gear steeing.
Cheers.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

Darn ,.............................. I got my receivers , that means I cann,t complain anymore [8D] . And besides that , I promised I wouldn,t complain about the telemetry ,..................................... Whats a guy to do

GONE FLYING

BTW ,.............. thanks for reply Mike

Michel
Old 06-23-2010, 09:01 PM
c130nut

Well I got my new Aurora 9 today... too bad... I did not see the coupon for a free receiver in it! So far I am reading the book, and the menus seem to be very easy to make your way through! I am very happy with the ease of use.
The one question I cannot seem to answer is finding the "button on the module" for range check. I assume that the module is the 2.4 module on the back of the radio. The only button I see is recessed and cannot be pushed with a fingertip.... it would take a pen to do it. Am I looking in the wrong place or just thinking the module is the wrong thing?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:57 PM
JIMF14D

That is the button. Just below the red blue leds. You will learn to carry a pointed object with you at all times if you are a dedicated Hitecer! You would not want it to be a raised button as it also changes operating modes etc. Press it in flight and your model could be history!
Jim D
Old 06-23-2010, 10:15 PM
teryn1
My Feedback: (77)

Hello, I am having trouble getting the hpp-22 to detect my optima 9 receiver (?) It just sits there waiting for the receiver to cnnect even though the receiver is powered and the data cable is plugged into P1 port. All of the transmitter connections (firmware and model download) work fine.
Any ideas for the receiver?
Old 06-23-2010, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can some one point me to the page in the manual that tells you how to get dual elevators set up? It seems kind of dumb that they would give you all the variations for ailerons but nothing for dual elevators. At least I can't find it. Is it on a menu somewhere?
Old 06-24-2010, 12:23 AM
czaiss

ORIGINAL: 72

Can some one point me to the page in the manual that tells you how to get dual elevators set up? It seems kind of dumb that they would give you all the variations for ailerons but nothing for dual elevators. At least I can't find it. Is it on a menu somewhere?
There is a selection in the model type for 2 elevators, but be warned you must update your radio firmware to 1.06 or higher. A bug in the original program had them trimming in opposite directions. I found that out in flight.

Someone mentioned about trim steps, i believe there is a setting for how big the trim steps are but I think the subtrim sizes are fixed.. Be aware that if you are using rates which are 100% of your EPA, subtrims and standard trims will cause throws to be different up vs down. The amount of discrepancy depends on how close your D/R is to your EPA and how much total trim you have used. This is another good reason to both manually check the throws in both directions and manually remove as much of the trim as possible.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:44 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: czaiss

ORIGINAL: 72

There is a selection in the model type for 2 elevators, but be warned you must update your radio firmware to 1.06 or higher. A bug in the original program had them trimming in opposite directions. I found that out in flight.

Do you know where I would find that in the book?
Old 06-24-2010, 03:52 AM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: 72 Can some one point me to the page in the manual that tells you how to get dual elevators set up? It seems kind of dumb that they would give you all the variations for ailerons but nothing for dual elevators. At least I can't find it. Is it on a menu somewhere?
Aurora A9 - Dual Elevator - Set Up.
Dual elevators can be set up using either
1. Ailevator program and setting one elevator servo to be ELE2. Trim may be effected if other mixing is used.
2. Assigning the ELEV function to the two channels that you have them plugged into.
(If you do not use the ailevator function, do not assign ELE2 to any channel.) The two halves should then read everything the same - This may be checked on the monitor screen .
as per
Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

also of interest will be latest additions:
Aurora A9 - Radio System Review RC Groups - By Mike Llewellyn
Aurora A9 - Helicopter Set Up -Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Review Tips and how-To Videos
also many good tips for Acro flyers.

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 06-24-2010, 06:01 AM
hismailoba

Good morning! a newbie here this is my first post .

I've recently adquired an Aurora9 and the HPP-22 module and i am guessing if using this i could connect my aurora9 to the PC to train my skills with the FMS simulator. I connect the aurora9 to the HPP-22 and then to the PC and i even enter in Pupil mode but nothing appears in my PC . Anyone could give me an answer?? I would really appreciate it!! thank you very much
Old 06-24-2010, 08:59 AM

Thanks AT. It's been driving me crazy, as everything else is so easy.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Brendan Lugo

ORIGINAL: hismailoba

Good morning! a newbie here this is my first post [img][/img].

I've recently adquired an Aurora9 and the HPP-22 module and i am guessing if using this i could connect my aurora9 to the PC to train my skills with the FMS simulator. I connect the aurora9 to the HPP-22 and then to the PC and i even enter in Pupil mode but nothing appears in my PC [img][/img]. Anyone could give me an answer?? I would really appreciate it!! thank you very much
You would need to use the flight sim cable #58315 to connect the A9 to your PC for use with FMS.
[link=http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/accessories/transmitter-parts-and-accessories/transmitter-trainer-cords-and-usb-interfaces.html]Hitec Sim cables[/link]

See post by A.T. [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1090600]Here[/link]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.