Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 05:32 PM
g_mkoch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

One question Mike, will this http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPWB1&P=7 work with the Aurora so I can charge it with my accu-cycle. Also does the aurora have a diode that prevents discharging from the charger outlet or will i have to remove the battery in order to discharge it? Also what is the rating on the fuse?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

I am learning the capabilities of this fine Transmitter, and I have to say, that Hitec did their homework on some really important stuff.
For example - the "Ailevator" is actually a "dual-elevator" setup....you just set the aileron influence on it to "zero"...you then have both elevators on one screen with total control over their deflections. And you don't have to use a mix to get it done.
The "CamberMix" also permits "on" full time of both Rudd>Elev and Rudd>Ail (if needed)....AND...there is already one mix dedicated to THR> RUDD....and that can be slaved to respond to the multi-point throttle curve....And of course, there is "airborne" adjustment capability for "flaperon" function, so ELEVcan control BOTHailerons to act as flaps, with offset to avoid pitch up....this makes a "clean" airplane a lot easier to land slower....

As time goes on, I think I'll find more stuff that really sets this radio up as a FINE choice for precision aircraft trimming....man, this is sweet!!!!!!!!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:41 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: g_mkoch

One question Mike, will this http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPWB1&P=7 work with the Aurora so I can charge it with my accu-cycle. Also does the aurora have a diode that prevents discharging from the charger outlet or will i have to remove the battery in order to discharge it? Also what is the rating on the fuse?
No, that the connector for the 8 cell radios.

Yes, there is a diode but no fuse as far as I know.

Mike.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Bob Pastorello

MISTERMike Mayberry - (be embarassed now) - I've known you since 1997....and we were talking about transmitter features back then....and you committed that Hitec was on the road to be what they became...you made a difference, Mike, and I want to thank you.

Folks on this thread - the Aurora is the ultimate evolution and execution of a company that "listens to the customer", and don't doubt it for a minute. The features in the Aurora came from lots and lots of input over many years....and obviously Hitec saw the marketing window open when 2.4 arrived with it's enhanced safety and technology capability.

We get to enjoy the result....and folks, as a "purchaser" of my Aurora, there isn't a better value feature for $$$ out there in ANYbreed.

Mr. Mayberry - thank you for supporting product development and representing the voice of all of us who provided you with the "wish it would do..... " stuff through the years. I think you guys have probably just put some nails in coffins of other radio manufacturers, and that's my opinion. You done GOOD, sir!!!!!!!!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:55 PM
orcrest

That's some fine investigative work Bob, you're making it easier for the rest of us. I started a thread where we can collect all these fine tips in one spot:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_92...tm.htm#9247572

Perhaps the Hitec Moderators could make it a sticky? And is it possible to move some posts to that thread?

Anyway, I hope it sees some use!

Cheers

Da Orc
Old 11-11-2009, 11:37 PM
MikeMayberry

Golly jeepers!

I just came up with the wish list... it was our Hitec engineers in Korea that made it all happen! I have to take my hat off to them. The Aurora is above and beyond my expectations. We call this shooting in front of the plane! Because when you shoot directly AT the plane, it has already passed by the time the bullets get there.

Mike.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:39 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

Mike.
Mike,

For clarity, if there is a diode then you cannot use a peak detecting external charger if you are going through the TX connector/diode to charge the battery. You would have to remove the battery to charge unless you remove the diode. I would appreciate you commenting on my thought process and if I have it wrong to set me straight. Thanks

Howard
Old 11-12-2009, 09:14 AM
JVB
My Feedback: (2)

Bob,

Thanks for bringing up the Camber mix. I hadn't thought of trying that for an elevator to rudder mix to fix knife edge tuck. I now have it set up in Camber mix with one of the mix adjustment switches. Now I can adjust the mix in flight. No more land then tweak then fly over and over.

I flew my gas-powered 28% edge this weekend (maiden flight) and it performed flawlessly. Range check again was over 180 feet. I'm extremely satisfied with the Aurora. Glad I waited for almost a year.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Bob Pastorello

John - the credit for the camber discovery goes to Tom Fawcett....I just expanded a bit on my experiments, but that's what this site is for....building the knowledge base.
There is much to learn on this puppy, and it does quite a lot.
The "cost/value" coefficient of this one is off the charts!!!!
Old 11-12-2009, 12:33 PM
MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: Howard

Mike,

For clarity, if there is a diode then you cannot use a peak detecting external charger if you are going through the TX connector/diode to charge the battery. You would have to remove the battery to charge unless you remove the diode. I would appreciate you commenting on my thought process and if I have it wrong to set me straight. Thanks

Howard
That is correct.

Mike.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:09 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Mike, is there any progress on the $150 conversion for the EVO that you mentioned a while back?
Old 11-13-2009, 08:14 PM
g_mkoch

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

Mike.
Where can I get a connector to charge the battery directly?
Old 11-13-2009, 08:25 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: Where can I get a connector to charge the battery directly?
refer to Aurora 9 Mixes, Setups, Tips, Undocumented Features
pictures and part number under
Aurora, Eclipse 7, Flash 4&5, Optic, Prism series - Field and Fast Charging
Aurora A9 Battery Compartment Fit Lipol battery and connectors
(Battery plug also available Kyocera Elco mini 2 pin)
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 11-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Meyer1811

Hi everyone,

I received my Aurora 9 on Wednesday and took it for its first flight today. It performed very well; better than the operator.

I had some problems doing a range check - kept holding the button on the module down too long and couldn't hear the beep.

I also had trouble pushing the button in the receiver and plugging in the battery at the same time (I am powering the receiver from the ESC which does not have a switch). In the future I will take the switch provided with the radio along to the field.

I took the manual with me, but not the little card Hitec provided so it harder to figure out what mode I had gotten myself into. I suggest that future versions of the manual contain a page that duplicates the card.

But programming is a breeze. Mostly logical sequences (much better than my Spektrum).

I have a question about the contents of the box: What are the 2" by 6" pad and the Hitec Velcro piece intended to be used for?

In spite of my button problems, I am really impressed with the radio.

John
Old 11-13-2009, 09:40 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: Meyer1811 <snip></snip>I have a question about the contents of the box: What are the 2" by 6" pad and the Hitec Velcro piece intended to be used for? In spite of my button problems, I am really impressed with the radio. John
Hitec include a Red or Black "Flight Preserver" with each Transmitter system (except 2ch systems).
A shock absorbing rubber pad with whichto wrap and protect the receiver from shock and vibration.
(Other brands usually rely on user buying aftermarket products such as the white latex rubber supplied by Du-Bro.)
Also sold separately Part # 58480.
Regards
Alan T.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:07 AM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: Meyer1811 <snip></snip>
I took the manual with me, but not the little card Hitec provided so it harder to figure out what mode I had gotten myself into. I suggest that future versions of the manual contain a page that duplicates the card.<snip></snip> In spite of my button problems, I am really impressed with the radio. John
Thank you for suggestion, a .pdf of the card is attached. This digital copy can be printed and inserted as a pageinto the manual or extra cards made by fixing to a plastic card with 3M or similar adhesive and sealing (laminating) in a clear heat shrink sleeve or spray with a clear sealant as used for protectingother documents e.g. maps.
Regards
Alan T.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Vt57464.pdf (1.43 MB, 31 views)
Old 11-16-2009, 06:26 AM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there a way to jump the diode so I can use a peak detection charger? I don't like having to take the TX battery out to charge it.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 11-16-2009, 07:36 AM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

Add another lead to the battery and remove the cover to charge but you can still leave it pluged up to charge.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:22 AM
MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: Tony Gag Jr.

Is there a way to jump the diode so I can use a peak detection charger? I don't like having to take the TX battery out to charge it.

Thanks,
Tony
Probably, but do you really want to void your warranty and risk a meltdown that could completely destroy the radio?

Mike.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike,
Good point about the warranty. I am just not a fan of the diode setup. I have been flying JR(no diodes)stuff for over 10 years and never had a problem. I am heavily considering buying this radio instead of the 9303. I hope one of the LHS around here gets one in stock so I can check it out.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 11-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Meyer1811

Hey Alan,

Thanks for sending the PDF of the card.

For some reason it took a long time to open - not sure what the deal was, but it finally did.

John
Old 11-16-2009, 09:57 PM
MikeAndersonCA

Here's a charge jack follow up for Mike Mayberry: Just what are Hitec engineers trying to accomplish or prevent with the diode setup in the charge-jack circuit? It just seems so antiquated and the rest of the radio seems so leading edge, they must have a good reason. (Don't expect you to have an answer at your fingertips, but maybe you could find out?)

Another follow-up: Is there also circuitry to prevent overcharging the NiMH pack with the supplied wall charger?
Old 11-17-2009, 01:53 AM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: Meyer1811 Hey Alan, Thanks for sending the PDF of the card. For some reason it took a long time to open - not sure what the deal was, but it finally did.John
Opens on my PC within 3 seconds. Please open your Adobe program and under "Help" select "Check for updates now" -Many within USA may not have Asian, in particular Japan & Korean, language support within initial download.
This is required to easily open many spec sheets ex Korea & Japan.
Regards
Alan.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:10 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Why not jump the diode with a fuse?
Old 11-17-2009, 09:45 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MikeAndersonCA

Here's a charge jack follow up for Mike Mayberry: Just what are Hitec engineers trying to accomplish or prevent with the diode setup in the charge-jack circuit?
The transmitter has support for using a 2s lipo built into its programming. I suspect the diode is there to make sure you have to remove the battery from the radio before charging.

I had a customer call yesterday looking to replace a plane that had burned up from a Lipo fire. If that happened inside a transmitter it would make a giant mess, would destroy the transmitter and possibly burn down one or more structures.

For any manufacturer better safe than found negligent. Is it really that hard to pull the battery out to charge it?

TF

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.