Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 04:25 PM
JIMF14D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Now that I have the 1.07 update loaded Iran some simple tests on the voltage monitor warning function and it seems pretty neat. I have an Optima 7 channel in a 6.5#, .70 4-stroke.5 biplane with 1200mah nicad battery but not using the SPC port. Ihave flown it quite a few times with the A9 and 1.06 Sw. I am just a sport flyer, not a 3D kamakazi!

I charged the battery overnight and set the voltage warning at 4.7 volts.The battery was intially displaying 5.3 volts on the TX. Ileft everthing on for sometime on the bench and every 30 minutes Iwould go out in the garage and "row" the sticks around for 30 seconds or so to see what happened. Most of the time Icould see a .1 volt drop on the on the TX display. After about 2 hours the battery had been reading 4.8 volts for some time. Then Ifound that when Ibanged the sticks around Icould get the beep beep warning while the sticks were moving but not in the neutral postions. The TX still said 4.8 volts but the high-low display had latched on 4.6 volts low. Icould get the beep beep just with fast full AIL deflections. The beep stops when sticks/surfaces are not moving around.

So far this seems like a very useful saftey tool. Iwill try to evaluate it more closly with some flights soon. Hopefully Iwill learn more with out making a hole in the ground.

JIm D.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:23 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: boothg-3

Mike Mayberry , i have a question
i plan to attend an event that will have between 100-200 pilots
the event calendar states they will not impound 2.4 transmitters
there are 5 active flight stations and a possible ten radios on in the pits
in your opinion could this cause an issue such as sluggish
response or even lock out
this of course includes the other brands
of redios being in use
i asking strictly as a safety issue
what are your thoughts on it
NO! We've flown at the largest events in the world including IRCHA, SEFF, NEAT and the largest Joe Nall w/5 flight lines and 1000 pilots and have never even seen a hint of a problem in Normal mode.

Mike.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:12 PM
boothg-3

Thank you , Mike
Old 07-17-2010, 03:04 AM
lunarhemal

Mike,

Overall in the forum, I saw the video on Heli setup which is nice, but i didn;t see much discussion for Heli flyers. I am a Heli flyer and i am sure to share my views and videos on this forum as soon as i get my A9.

In the meantime, if you have heli flying with A9, please show us.

I have started loving my A9 even before i have got it. I am with Hitec to kill the criminal price tags of other gizmos. Hurrah Hitec !!!

I am sure hitec engineers must be working on another Devils turn -> a 12/14 channel radio with voice activated menu and customised talking radio.

e.g. Telemetry warning would be like : "Hey Hemal, please land immediately, the rx batteries are low"" . . . and if you still continue to fly : it says " Hemal, go F*** yourself as i am going to shut this off, then don;t blame meee """" lol

Hemal
Old 07-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Whaleflyer
My Feedback: (6)

Mike,

I noticed the trainer cord has ends for the Aurora. Will there be a cord or an adapter to use an Optic 6 or any other?
Old 07-17-2010, 05:46 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Whaleflyer Mike, I noticed the trainer cord has ends for the Aurora. Will there be a cord or an adapter to use an Optic 6 or any other?
Yes,as listed Aurora: Trainer / Buddy system Master & Slave function Set-up.
(in USAPart number #58320 and #58321)

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 07-17-2010, 06:53 PM
g_mkoch

Hello Mike

I building a 50cc gas airplane , my first, and wanted to know if the following set up is good

I'll use an Optima 9 receiver, 7954's on the ailerons and elevator halves, one 7950 for rudder and a 5665 for throttle. and I'll use the telemetry with a rpm sensor and one temperature sensor
I'll run 2 li-ion battery packs unregulated to a wolverine swtich with 2 Deans in and 3 JR connectors(rated at 3 amps each for a total of 9 amps) out and connect the 3 JR through heavy duty Y extension with the Ailerons and Rudder servos to the other female end of the Y  and connect the Y to the respective channels for Ailerons and Rudder. To my understanding this would leave the receiver with 3 power imputs and the receiver bus is to handle only the elevator servos, throttle servo and telemetry sensors, and the rudder and ailerons servos should feed directly from  the batteries.

Happy Landings
Old 07-17-2010, 07:03 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

That sounds good to me. Here's Brandon Chitty's latest set up on his 35% 3DHS Extra 330:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzpbHd5O4Y8[/youtube]

Mike.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

I'm not Mike, but I have two 100cc aerobats on Optima 9's....what you are describing is a power system that would be TOTALLYsufficient for a 100cc airplane. It is considerably much more than you will ever need on a 50cc bird. As you have described it, you definitely are "good to go".
Old 07-18-2010, 08:39 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Mike, I have a zdz 160 and I'd like to get the rpm sensor package. Which would be better for it, the magnetic or optical??? I was looking for some instructions to see how they are used but I guess they're not posted as of yet. Also, you're saying that the fuel gauge wont work with gas?
Old 07-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Alex7403

I’m entering week 13 waiting for the additional Optima 7 receiver they promised with the Aurora 9.

Now I’m in a stupid situation finishing a new airplane and installing in it an old 72 MHz receiver and need to install a new battery for that old transmitter as I sold my Futaba 6EX 2.4 GHz gear to move to hitec.

As I see it I purchased a transmitter and two receivers before the promotion ends otherwise I would wait and now I see these optima 7 receivers popping up over the internet while I paid for one 13 weeks ago and still waiting for it.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Michel

Hi

So ,............................ let me get this right . You have been waiting , 13 weeks , and what does that mean ? A receiver is $60 , one of the advantages of Hitec . It,s not a Futaba or JR . And , you get an extra receiver , just go buy one .

BTW ,....................................... I WAITED 17 weeks , .............................. be patient , and they will come Keep hoping , it really does help

Michel
Old 07-18-2010, 03:11 PM
JIMF14D

Not much sympathy but you are right Mike.

Lots of Rx available now. All over Ebay. Yesterday a guy had two 7 channel $100 including shipping. Some one did a buy it now while I was thinking..

Tom's Rc has 6 channel for less than $45 for 6 channel if you sign in.

The idea is to fly not wait, right!
Old 07-18-2010, 06:47 PM
g_mkoch

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

That sounds good to me. Here's Brandon Chitty's latest set up on his 35% 3DHS Extra 330:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzpbHd5O4Y8[/youtube]

Mike.
Thanks Mike (Love that Hitec scheme)

Old 07-19-2010, 07:15 AM
ExcaliburIII

Have you talked to Hitec's office, They can tell you where you are in the que and give an approximate date for shipment. You're gettin a deal just wait for it like the rest of us did....
Old 07-19-2010, 09:23 AM
chocorrol

hey guys just one question... have any of you tried to compare Rx's battery voltage with a voltmeter? I would like to know how accurate the reading on the Tx is
Old 07-19-2010, 10:04 AM
JIMF14D

Ihave on a glow model to the accuracy that Ican read a small analog voltmeter. They were the same. 5.2 and 5.2. Ihave not tried it on my EP models where the Rx is powered by the BEC. Ihave on an EP model where Iwas using the SPC port with a Lipo. Again the same 12.1 and 12.1
Old 07-19-2010, 10:28 AM
czaiss

ORIGINAL: michel gravelle

Hi

So ,............................ let me get this right . You have been waiting , 13 weeks , and what does that mean ? A receiver is $60 , one of the advantages of Hitec . It,s not a Futaba or JR . And , you get an extra receiver , just go buy one .

BTW ,....................................... I WAITED 17 weeks , .............................. be patient , and they will come Keep hoping , it really does help

Michel

All I can say to the people still complaining about the free receivers slow shipping, I ordered and aurora june 2009 and received it in November some got them even later in february, hows that for a wait time. Go buy some receivers. And next time make the switch in the winter, not during peak flying season.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Chancho

I'm sure the $50 Hitec receiversand transmitteremploy true RMS capabilities, electrodynamometer circuitry, multi comparator/referencing circuits, etc. etc.the same as a $200-400 Fluke meter?
However, the canned voltage circuitry on today’s microchips has been around a while.I am certain the engineer who designed the voltage function of the receiver didn’t re-invent the code embedded on the microchip.With that said, it’s then component dependent.And with today’s electronics manufacturing processes there is only very minuscule variations of resistance of components from batch to batch of components at manufacture level. And with these variations, tolerances are designed into the circuitry.We shouldn’t even notice or see only the very slightest offsets from a true voltage indication.

Basically if you’re getting weird voltage reference in relation to what you think your battery should be, then get your meter out with a load on your battery and probe away.I doubt you’ll discover any big differential between your meter and the Hitec voltage reference.It is just a reference.It was never intended to be a real time high tolerance true voltage meter.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Michel

Hi

Have a question ,............................. on my transmitter , I can read the voltage , or the percentage . What is the lowest percentage that is safe to fly . I have gone down to as low as 42% , and did a range test . Everything went well . What is the lowest voltage and percentage .

Thanks for looking

Michel
Old 07-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Alex7403

IMO and I'm no expert,
if the Rx pack is 4.8v than I stop flying when it reaches 4.8v, in the 9.6v Tx I stopped flying when it reached 9.6v and I'm talking both NiCD.
the reason for this is that beyond that voltage the drop occur much faster and much steeper.
the NiMH juice last longer but when it drops it drops immediately without any warning.
The A9 I'll stop flying at 7.2v.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Michel - you using the NiMh or 2SLipo ??? 4S NiMh I would not go below 4.4....a 2SLipo should be around 6.1 or so....opinions may vary.

ORIGINAL: michel gravelle

Hi

Have a question ,............................. on my transmitter , I can read the voltage , or the percentage . What is the lowest percentage that is safe to fly . I have gone down to as low as 42% , and did a range test . Everything went well . What is the lowest voltage and percentage .

Thanks for looking

Michel
Old 07-20-2010, 04:06 AM
Michel

Hi Alex and Bob

I,m just useing the standard , battery's that came with the Transmitter . So ,............... playing it safe , would be about , 7.3 .

Hope thats right [sm=71_71.gif]

Thanks

Michel
Old 07-20-2010, 05:28 AM
JIMF14D

Iusually don't stop when the voltage gets to 4.8 as that is the "flat spot" or design range and Ihave found the batteries will stay there for a very long time. When Isee it get to 4.7 then Itake notice and make that my last flight before Irecharge.

I have flown my A9 down to 32% with no noticeable problems.

Jim D
Old 07-20-2010, 07:19 AM
lunarhemal

The safe Battery volt drop is by 0.1V per cell i.e. for a 4.8V (4cell) battery, it is 4.4V. & for a 7.2V (6 cell), it is 6.6V before the battery pack would give away.
We can be safe anywhere above the lowest volts mentioned above.

If you look at Futaba Radios with 9.6V (8 cells) , the warning starts at 8.5V i.e. 1.1V below normal. and what i recommend is 0.8V below normal i.e. you are safe until 8.8Volts.

however, the above calculation works best for 'almost' new battery, which are cycled for few times already. Remember, brand new batteries are yet to reach to its full potential before they are recycled for atleast 10-15 times.

Conclusion :
For 4 cell Rx. Battery (4.8V), you can fly upto 4.4V
For 5 cell Rx. Battery (6.0V), you can fly upto 5.5V
For 6 cell Tx. Battery (7.2V), you can fly upto 6.6V
For 8 cell Tx. Battery (9.6V), you can fly upto 8.8V

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.