Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Old 12-25-2010, 03:22 AM
ohnoucdat
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Zor stick with air hogs radio, or single stick radio provided with RTF toys. Really your questions seem to border on you being "SPECIAL"
Old 12-25-2010, 04:09 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: ohnoucdat

Zor Really your questions seem to border on you being ''SPECIAL''
Yeah i had similar experience with Zor in another thread and he just won't go away
Old 12-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zor stick with air hogs radio, or single stick radio provided with RTF toys. Really your questions seem to border on you being "SPECIAL"
Hey ohnoucdat

I had to make a search on the internet to find out what is "air hogs radios".
You must have used them a lot to know about them. I did not even know what you were talking about.

Your posting appears to be sarcastic and that is perhaps your nature.

So I will read between the lines and return your good wishes for the coming New Year.

May you and your loved ones have a Healthy, Prosperous and Very Happy New Year 2011.

Zor
Old 12-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: vasek

Zor Really your questions seem to border on you being ''SPECIAL''
Yeah i had similar experience with Zor in another thread and he just won't go away
Hi ___vasek,

It looks like youcannot ignore me.
I am flattered by your attention.

You seem to consider me "SPECIAL" even though I am just another modeler hobbyist of long standing.
I participate in this forum to learn as well as to help others.

Your posting was very helpfull to newcomers and beginners. Thank you.

I certainly do not have any resentment against you. I am not that type of fellow.

Please accept "Best Wishes from Canada" a country well worth living in.
Wishing that 2011 will bring you Joy, Health, Prosperity and Happiness wherever your preference is.

Zor.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:20 AM
g_mkoch

ORIGINAL: juanjulian

RECIEVED MY HITEC AURORA YESTERDAY.

Probably my best gift for christmass.

Zor don´t complicate yourself take a plunge and get one. I live in Guatemala C.A. and probably the first with it since everybody is into futaba or Jr. Have been fallowing the thread for 1.5 year to see how it develops and no major problems compared to other brands.

My first real radio was a futaba 6da that had really nice ergonomics and feel, did not last to long as my hangar increased in numbers and was to much work adjusting pods for each plane. Jumped to fast for a futaba 7CAP first batches. It was a OK radio but did not like the feel (toy) and ergonomics. Now use a futaba 9 cap wich I like a lot.

The ergonomics, looks and feel of this radio is awesome. Hope my fingers don´t get an alergy for using it.

Meerry Christmas to all,

Juan
Juan you will love this radio. Everyone in El Salvador is also Futaba.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2010, 10:57 AM
dkennedy35

I agree with Mkoch, I was a die hard Futaba fan, and even hadseveral shirts to prove it. I have had my Aurora since April, and it is so sweet, I don't miss my 9CAP one bit. Ihave looked at the Aurora Manual onlyonce, and that was to setup a helicopter. It is so easy once you forget how complicated it was on the Futaba.

My favorite part is setting the voltage for the Lipos that Iam using in the planeand having the alarm go off to tell me it is time to land or at least back off the throttle.
Merry Christmas to All!

- Don
Old 12-25-2010, 12:27 PM
boothg-3

i was a 30 year futaba user and now using the A9
it is by far simpler to use and it actually has 9 proportional channels
i still point out to my flying buddies that the initial cost of the A9 with the 9 channel rx
along with the promotional two 7 ch. rx,s plus buying two more 7 ch rx,s allowed me to
outfit 5 planes for the same cost as my friends 10c with one receiver
and then there is the telemtry system
i,m happy with mine
Old 12-25-2010, 01:26 PM
ohnoucdat
My Feedback: (16)

Why Thank you Zor
Old 12-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Somebody have the link to Finless' vids on "Flight Conditions" for helis?  His other Aurora 9 vids are just the best thing ever...but I can't seem to find the one where he explains the flight conditions???  Any help here?

BTW - a very Merry Christmas to all on here!!!
Old 12-25-2010, 03:31 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello Somebody have the link to Finless' vids on "Flight Conditions" for helis? His other Aurora 9 vids are just the best thing ever...but I can't seem to find the one where he explains the flight conditions??? Any help here?BTW - a very Merry Christmas to all on here!!!
Aurora 9ch - Video - Helicopter Set Up - Finless Bob's Review Tips and how To - Series - New (Throttle Curve x 1 & Gyro x 2) added 23Dec10.

Full index, withcontent of each video, is attached hereto.

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Vs55764.pdf (61.5 KB, 89 views)
Old 12-27-2010, 07:17 AM
Bob Pastorello

thank you, Alan.  As ALWAYS, very, very helpful.
The programming flexibility in the Aurora for heli use is just amazing.
Recently purchased 9th receiver, the fleet of planes and helis is breeding....and almost time to fund a "backup" Tx....

Thanks again, hope everyone had a great Christmas!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 12:37 AM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello thank you, Alan. As ALWAYS, very, very helpful.
The programming flexibility in the Aurora for heli use is just amazing.
Recently purchased 9th receiver, the fleet of planes and helis is breeding....and almost time to fund a "backup" Tx.... Thanks again, hope everyone had a great Christmas!!!!!!

Programming may get easier still if the new PC programming for the Optic Sport is also a proving ground for software etc, this earlier started new thread. the attachments towhich will be of interest to all those with an HPP-22.

Upgrades for Optic 6 Sport and Optic 6 Sport 2.4GHz now available
with comment
"Post Script That's why the interest expressed earlier in the .xls file found in the HPP-22 directory. explained in the Optic Sport - HPP-22 PC programming (This perhaps could pave the way for later programming Aurora on PC??) "

Alan T.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Genaro Solé

ORIGINAL: eemor
... Pics from the GPS telemetry recorded Friday. Fun Jet Ultra clocked at 131Mph and flying the Fun Cub Waaaaay up high!

Mike.
¿Which is the best way to convert Hitech telemetry data to Google Earth?

Thanks in advance,
Old 12-29-2010, 01:16 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: chewytm But nothing for 2S A123 batts at 6.6V? I think A123 batts are quite common nowadays as they don't require regulators with most 6V capable servos. Will anything be done about that? chewy
28Dec09
Unfortunately there are too many different types of cells referred to as A123 with different voltages and cut offs which is why it is hard to find good chargers and few if any on board voltage displays. I believe the engineers are trying to work on an answer but it could be a while.
Just two examples of cut off / loaded voltage measurement problems,regarding A123,availableon the net:
A123 Battery FAQ for Giant Scale and IMAC
"Here’s the biggest issue.. load testing. The beasties just don’t react like we expect.. a 1 amp load for 10 seconds will convince somebody not familiar with them that there’s something wrong with the load tester.. the needle won’t sag! I’ve even had guys start melting switch ports and connector housings trying to get enough load on the pack to use an ESV in the tried and true sense. Just doesn’t work. Because of the incredibly flat discharge curve and the ability of the cell to hold voltage while doing 'heavy lifting', using a standing voltage level under load to decide when to recharge can lead to a disaster because when the cells go flat they do so remarkably fast. So, we go to the next question.."
A123 battery Information - SinCity Jets.
"The battery's only downside is that you can not tell how much energy is left in the pack by reading the voltage. Because the discharge curve of the pack is so flat, the voltage will be almost the same throught its cycle, and then "cliff dive" at the end of its cycle. Because of this, it is important to become familiar with how much energy your vehicle uses during each use. For planes, I advise people to fully charge their batteries and then fly 2-3 flights. Then, fully charge the packs again and see how much energy (Mah) you put back in to the packs. Then simply divide the amount of energy by the number of flights and come up with your average Mah per flight. This will allow you to set your safe cut-off. It is advisable to only use 1800-2000 of the pack's 2300 Mah's. "

Update 18 Aug 2010:
Following recent upgrade ofAurorato V1.07 and Spectra pro Module to V2.0, user is now able to set voltage alert levels.
(View Version 1.07 Manual Addendum) - page 5 refers

Current related discussion elsewhere regarding Eneloop cells.and benefit of battery voltage telemetry.
"Quote: Originally Posted by MikeMayberry - but take this situation for example: a guy was flying with a 5 cell 2000mah Eneloop RX pack that cycled easily to 2000 mah with a 1A load and worked fine in a sport application for over a year, but when that same pack was used in a larger application with multiple digital servos it fell flat on it's face and the low voltage warning would kick it under normal maneuvers.
Of course if he had made a proper battery selection in the first place then everything else is moot.
The Eneloop cells are fine in transmitters and low load airborne use. But their high internal impedance makes them unsuitable for any kind of potentially high load use. Under load these cells have a large voltage depression due to the high internal impedance.
You do not need telemetry to tell you that - Silent-AV8R -unquote"

Response - Mike Mayberry
" Agreed that these batteries were the wrong tool for the job, but in this case the user was unaware that they were not suitable and luckily landed when the low battery warning went off, most likely saving the airplane. A loaded volt meter even at 2A (equivalent of one digital servo) would not have made a difference here as the load would not have been high enough to sag the voltage. Flight loads vary with the servos in use, but if you consider that a high power digital servo working hard can easily pull 2A each (or more) then the only accurate way to see how the battery handle the actual flight conditions is with telemetry.
Yes, most of you know what you're doing but so many R/Cers out there have no idea about how the flight loads can affect the battery voltage; this goes for BEC's used in Electronic Speed Controls which which with the higher voltage threshold of 2.4 is the culprit for so many brownout crashes. What percentage of pilots use a loaded volt meter every time they fly? Not many. How many with telemetry check their battery every time they fly? 100%
Sorry, I know this thread, as many others do, has morphed into a battery discussion but to say that telemetry is no replacement for a good voltmeter which most don't use, or that you don't need it to tell you that your batteries can't handle the loads because you should have already know this is not realistic. It may be easy for some of you to justify that you don't need it, but it opened up a whole new understanding for me as to actually what's going on with batteries and BEC's in flight that I never really knew, and I consider myself and expert too! It's not a novilty... it's a tool, and I would think that all radio manufacturers will have to encorporate it into their systems sooner or later just like 2.4ghz. . Mike. "

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features

Update 30Dec10:
Originally Posted by martyfly147
hi guys ,i want to use 2x Life/a123 batteries in parallel with no regulators plugged straight into optma rx's via the servo bus not spc ,will this be ok and what voltage would you set the alarm to considering the flat discharge curve of these batteries
Usual specs of genuine 2S RX packs show
" Nominal pack voltage: 6.6V (3.3V per cell)
Fully-charged pack voltage: 7.2V (3.6V per cell)
Recommended cut-off voltage: 5V (2.5V per cell)
Minimum voltage: 4.0V (2.0V per cell)
Do not charge above 7.2V."

Drop off is extremely rapid,
ESC/BEC are now being supplied with min setting of 3.0v per cell for A123.
Users of A123 for RX packs suggest Low Battery Warning of at least 6.0v to allow time for landing.

Care with brand of LiFe pack, recommended reading:
Battery (Receiver packs) . LiFePO (aka A123 & LiFe) - Alert re False Labels & excess voltage
Battery (Receiver packs) . LiFePO (aka A123 & LiFe) - full thread
A123 Battery (aka LiFe PO4 cells) FAQ for Giant Scale and IMAC
A123 (LiFePO4) Cells for Receiver Packs - Very good graphs of the various battery chemistry type and relative discharge curves.
HYPERION G3 LiFePO4 Batteries for Radio Transmitters and Receivers - Warning
"SERVOS - Many servos on the market, and particularly many of the lower-cost analog types, cannot operate at the voltage supplied by these LiFe Receiver packs. Attempting to use a servo rated for maximum of 6V or less WILL RESULT in reduced servo life, and may lead to in-flight failure. Any such failure is the sole responsibility of the user."
"If you have any concerns about the voltage rating of your servos, you may choose to run a BEC unit, such as the 5V/6V selectable Hyperion SBEC (HP-TICOOL-BEC), in order to regulate voltage down to suit your servos. This offers greater safety compared to BEC units running off the main flight pack because even if your main flight pack is completely depleted in flight the radio and servos will maintain power via the Rx pack."
-
Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features -extracts

.Loose Cell Battery Box & Switch harness - Included with Aurora & Optima set to aid Linking and Set Up only for those with EP Models in lieu of using ESC/BEC. Not intended for use in flight."
The battery holder is not mentioned in manual because it was a much later addition to aid EP flyers using unswitched BEC and others to simply link their Optima before installation.

. Aurora & Spectra 2.4Ghz module - Low Battery Warning

.Aurora A9 - Warning Alarms Battery types, voltage levels and consumption.
extract - "RX: Optima series receivers:
Operating Voltage: 4.8~7.4V From a receiver battery, or a speed controllers (ESC) power.
(7.4v is nominal = 8.4 max with fully charged 2S lipo battery)

4.8~35V Using SPC function (35V is the Maximum, do not exceed)
(Aurora A9 RX Voltage on Screen SPC voltage has preference over BEC voltage if using tap.)

Current Drain : 190mA (with sensors)
Optima RX - Installation RX, BODA Antenna, Volts & Range Test.. Quote:
"Notes 1. a. Reset voltage is 3.5v. The cause of many problems with 2.4 systems is when people use low power 4 cell packs with high torque servos and they brown out. Optima cut off voltage is 3.5v, so we suggest a 5 cell+ pack for the servos. Or... use the SPC to power the RX for additional safety. A small 2S lipo to SPC would guarantee the RX voltage would never sag. "

Hitec Transmitters:
Caution: Do Not Use A123 (LiFE) in Hitec Transmitters using a 6 cell NiCD/NiMH pack
.........e.g. Aurora 9 and Optic 6 Sport. Not only is the size to large for the pocket, the nominal voltage is already at the Low battery Warning level.
Hitec Transmitters using 8 cell NiCD/ 8 cell NiMH packs: e.g. Eclipse and Optic 6
A 3 cell A123 isreally to low and a 4 cell A123 (LiFe) is too high.
(A 3 Cell lipo is not ok without a regulator set aprox 10.5-11.0V)

Alan T.
(quick search = Ctrl+F)

Old 01-01-2011, 05:12 AM
AJsToyz

Mike,

Do you know when the FM module will be ready or out ??

Andy
Old 01-02-2011, 01:45 AM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz Mike, Do you know when the FM module will be ready or out ??
Andy
Spectra Pro 72MHz PPM/QPCM Module - awaits finalisation of FCC Cert. expected to be on shelves mid Jan11.

Alan T.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:51 AM
A.T.

New Year present from Finless Bob - New Video How To'

Finless Bob's New Year present of new video x 4 added 01Jan11. =

NEW - Hitec Aurora 9 Radio Videos

1) Model menus part 4B. Covers Hover Pitch and Throttle Trim and Pitch High/Low in the pitch and throttle curves menus missed in video 4.

2) Throttle Cut menu. I decided to do throttle cut menu ahead of throttle hold for reasons of showing you a neat alternative throttle cut using the hold menu. This is model menu part 6.

3) Throttle Hold menu. This is model menu part 7A

4) Added a tip on getting a unique alternative to the throttle cut menu using the throttle hold menu! This makes it so throttle cut does not work unless you are in throttle hold. This is model menu part 7B.
-
refer attached PDF for updated full index of Bob's great video..

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ay74526.pdf (62.4 KB, 50 views)
Old 01-02-2011, 04:59 AM
AJsToyz

Alan,

Thank you again for your help!!

Andy
Old 01-02-2011, 09:08 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: A.T.

Finless Bob's New Year present of new video x 4 added 01Jan11.
If Hitec sent this Finless Bob guy a radio to do set-ups on, why is the only place you can view the videos on the HeliFreak web site?
These videos should be on the Hitec You Tube site.

Greg
Old 01-02-2011, 11:10 AM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: OldRookie. If Hitec sent this Finless Bob guy a radio to do set-ups on, why is the only place you can view the videos on the HeliFreak web site? These videos should be on the Hitec You Tube site. Greg
Copyright etc.
Explained in the intro of each video
No different to reason all Bob'svideo can only be accessed via that one page.
( see page 2&3 of the Index.PDF attached last post for all the other brand related video).

Alan T.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:56 AM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

New Aurora Promo offer:

LIMITED TIME OFFER

Buy any Aurora 9 2.4 GHz radio system
between January 1st, 2011 and April 30th
Receive a Optima 7 Receiver for Free

Who Can Take Advantage of This Offer?
•This offer is good ONLY to buyers of Aurora 9 2.4GHz Radios in the US, Canada or Mexico where the radio is purchased from a retailer in one of those countries.
•This offer is only good to new purchases of Aurora 9 2.4GHz Radios with an order or invoice date that is between January 1st, 2011 and April 30th, 2011.
•This must clearly be shown on the receipt and the receipt must clearly show the retailers name and address.
•Limit one offer per household

How Can I Take Advantage of This Offer?
•Buy a new Aurora 9 2.4 GHz Radio System from a retailer in the US, Canada or Mexico between January 1st, 2011 and April 30th, 2011.
•Cut out the UPC Code from the Aurora 9 Box
•Make a copy of your purchase receipt (receipt must show radio was ordered or invoiced between 1/1/2011 & 4/30/201. Receipt must show retailers name and address.
•Fill out this ORDER FORM
•Mail It along with a legible copy of your purchase receipt and the UPC code from the box to the address below:
AURORA 9 OFFER
12115 PAINE ST
POWAY, CA 92064
Entries must be received by June 1st 2011.

Allow 4-6 Weeks for Delivery. We WILL NOT Ship outside of North America. All items shipped via US postal service. Recipients outside of the USA are responsible for any duties and taxes.

What Else Can I Get?
For a limited time we are offering these special half off BONUS offers on the following items:
Another Optima Receiver for half price (Choose only 1)

An Extra Optima 9 for 74.99 (Retail Value $149.99)
OR
An Extra Optima 7 for 39.99(Retail Value $79.99)
OR
An Extra Optima 6 for 34.99(Retail Value $69.99)
AND
Hitec Aurora Promo Pack
Includes Limited Edition Aurora 9 T-shirt, Hat and decal pack
(39.99 Retail Value) Offered at 19.99

BONUS OFFERS SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY NO SUBSTITUTIONS

Link to webpage: http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/air...roraoffer.html
Old 01-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Bob Pastorello

ORIGINAL: A.T.

Finless Bob's New Year present of new video x 4 added 01Jan11. =

NEW - Hitec Aurora 9 Radio Videos

1) Model menus part 4B. Covers Hover Pitch and Throttle Trim and Pitch High/Low in the pitch and throttle curves menus missed in video 4.

2) Throttle Cut menu. I decided to do throttle cut menu ahead of throttle hold for reasons of showing you a neat alternative throttle cut using the hold menu. This is model menu part 6.

3) Throttle Hold menu. This is model menu part 7A

4) Added a tip on getting a unique alternative to the throttle cut menu using the throttle hold menu! This makes it so throttle cut does not work unless you are in throttle hold. This is model menu part 7B.
-
refer attached PDF for updated full index of Bob's great video..

Alan T.

I have to tell anyone on this thread, that the amount of help and knowledge Finless Bob gives in his videos FAR, *FAR* exceeds a radio or two or three worths'..... As a newbie to helis, figuring out HELIS **and** figuring out the Aurora 9 was daunting. Finless made it all make sense, and he does a very professional job. Heli Freaks is right and proper to hold copyright and ownership of those vids....the help they provide along with the others on that site is far wider than just Hitec.

Anyway - the help his videos provided me is invaluable, and I for one definitely want to thank Mike Mayberry and anyone else who was involved in the decision to let Finless have at it. He did a marvelous job, and helped move marketing the Aurora 9 to heli fliers ahead light years.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:38 AM
MikeMayberry

Bob,

Thanks for the good words about Bob... I couldn't be happier about how detailed and informative his videos are. The Heli guys are a tough crowd and having someone as respected as him show it's capabilities goes a long way. One of the things I wanted to know from him too is if the higher latency of the Aurora made a big difference and he told me that he could feel it when switching but a couple flights in he was used to it and it just seemed normal after that.

On another note... I've also been informed that the promo I posted here did not include the link to the form. That's because I just cut and pasted it from our webpage; you can access the website here if you need the form: http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/air...roraoffer.html

Mike.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:50 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Mike,

Are these offers available to anyone, or do you have to buy a new radio to get them?
Is there a picture of the hat and shirt somewhere?

Greg
Old 01-04-2011, 10:26 AM
MikeMayberry

The Free RX offer is for new customers but the Promo Hat/Shirt is open for all owners. We're working on a new form for that and will post it shortly along with some pics.

Mike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.