Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Old 01-05-2011, 12:18 PM
alanflys98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Is anyone having issues with the Aurora 9 locking out? I have been flying a DX7 for years without a glitch. The wife got me the Aurora for Christmas and New Years Eve, on its second flight about 8 minutes in, total failure and my beloved 100cc Carden 260 went down full throttle and after the trees finished with her the whole thing went into the Etowah River. [] After 3 trips into frigid N Ga. waters to recover the wreckage, the motor is headed to DA and the radio an servos are headed to Hitec. Any thoughts out there??
Old 01-05-2011, 02:24 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, something went wrong. Not meaning to be a smart-ass, but with no other information than "installed a new radio" nobody will be able to give you a more accurate diagnosis.

Most problems are caused by power failure. I have never seen an Aurora fail or even glitch in flight, so I'd first look at everything supporting the radio; batteries, switches, connectors, state of charge, etc.

It is extremely unlikely that a radio component just failed.

TF
Old 01-05-2011, 02:49 PM
alanflys98

Well, I used a Duralite Lithium-ion 5200 7.4 pack with a Spektrum VR6010 reg. with soft switch. The battery measured 7.45 volts after 2 hrs in the water and the regulator after drying out still works with a 6.2v output.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:26 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: alanflys98 Is anyone having issues with the Aurora 9 locking out? I have been flying a DX7 for years without a glitch. The wife got me the Aurora for Christmas and New Years Eve, on its second flight about 8 minutes in, total failure and my beloved 100cc Carden 260 went down full throttle and after the trees finished with her the whole thing went into the Etowah River. [] After 3 trips into frigid N Ga. waters to recover the wreckage, the motor is headed to DA and the radio an servos are headed to Hitec. Any thoughts out there??
ORIGINAL: alanflys98 Well, I used a Duralite Lithium-ion 5200 7.4 pack with a Spektrum VR6010 reg. with soft switch. The battery measured 7.45 volts after 2 hrs in the water and the regulator after drying out still works with a 6.2v output.
Always very sad to learn of the demise of any model, buthave learnt there is often a simple explanation for new systems.

AFHSS - ID-Setup (also known as Binding or Linking) & Range Testing
1 Was the range test done with engine running before the first flight of the day?
At conclusion of range test, was the "power down mode"allowed to time out by itself, or was the button pushed to stop the power down position and beeping? WasFail safe setting re-tested before flight?
2. Was SPCport in use? if so, what did the battery high/low screen show at end of flight?
3. Were any changes made to either model or programming after the first flight?

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63658.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1543019  
Old 01-06-2011, 03:23 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Hello Alan, I did quite a bit of research on the Spectra since I also want to move from Spektrum to Hi-tec.

You're the unluckiest person ever[:@] There haven't been any consistent reports of a lockout for the Aurora unlike for the Spektrum system.

The only other loss of control for Aurora radio I've read about was a gentlemen that had a "cold solder" in his TX (as determined by Hi-tec service).

Good luck
V.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:17 AM
alanflys98

Range testing was extensive and the radio was allowed to time out and was done in numerous configurations and the batteries were topped off before first flight, the SPC port was used however I didn't look at the readings after the crash other than Tx voltage, which was 7.6. After the first flight a trim mix for rudder/elev. was adjusted and that was it.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:16 AM
JIMF14D

Iam laying out my first twin which is a BH Models OV-1 Mohawk with electrc power. I need some advice regarding trimming/matching the motor rpm/thrust during set up. I assume Iwould run each ESC throttle input to a seperate Rx channel but am not clear how to get dual channel trim on the A9.

Also, has anyone tried rudder into motor mix for an EP model and if so does it have any value or am Ijust making life too hard? The BH OV-1 does not have a rudder and I will probably add one but was wondering if anyone has made use of rudder to motor mixes on twins.

I realize that with one engine out or with assymetrical thrust, the mechanical rudder would be still provide control power.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you guys might have.

Jim D.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:37 AM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D Iam laying out my first twin which is a BH Models OV-1 Mohawk with electrc power. I need some advice regarding trimming/matching the motor rpm/thrust during set up. I assume Iwould run each ESC throttle input to a seperate Rx channel but am not clear how to get dual channel trim on the A9. Also, has anyone tried rudder into motor mix for an EP model and if so does it have any value or am Ijust making life too hard? The BH OV-1 does not have a rudder and I will probably add one but was wondering if anyone has made use of rudder to motor mixes on twins. I realize that with one engine out or with assymetrical thrust, the mechanical rudder would be still provide control power. Thanks in advance for any ideas you guys might have. Jim D.
Aurora A9 - Trim Twin EP Motors
Mix with twin EP/ruddder discontinued. Found more precision with thumbs (practice makes easy).
Also perhaps age &remembering to late to switch the mix off when not wanted.

ex Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:45 AM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

Jim, You may be interested in this http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/WRCTWINSYNC.html
Old 01-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Jesper1979

Was trying to adjust the EPA on the rudder servo on my T-Rex 600ESP. The only thing it does is slowing the servo down.
It still has the same travel. Am I messing this up and don't understand how this works on the rudder servo, or are there something wrong?
Old 01-13-2011, 03:13 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: Jesper1979 Was trying to adjust the EPA on the rudder servo on my T-Rex 600ESP. The only thing it does is slowing the servo down. It still has the same travel. Am I messing this up and don't understand how this works on the rudder servo, or are there something wrong?
Aurora 9ch - Video - Helicopter Set Up - Finless Bob's Review Tips and how To - Series
- New (Throttle Curve x 1 & Gyro x 2) added 23Dec10.

Please refer Video 16... (easier than mytrying to type an explanation that reader can understand)
"16. Model Menus Part 3 (98 Megs)
. EPA – End Point Adjustment
. Flight Conditions - Switch setup: Idle up & Hold.
. Throttle Link
. Trim Link Inh (Inhibit is default)
. ACT Activate - all conditions.
. Servo Speed - in transition"

Full index, withcontent of each video, is attached Post #3162 above.

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Jesper1979

Thank you! I will watch that video again
Old 01-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

ORIGINAL: Jesper1979

Was trying to adjust the EPA on the rudder servo on my T-Rex 600ESP. The only thing it does is slowing the servo down.
It still has the same travel. Am I messing this up and don't understand how this works on the rudder servo, or are there something wrong?
I'm a heli noob, but I have learned that the EPA only serves as a "speed of travel" command to the Gyro. The GYROis doing the actual "EPA" in it's control circuit. What I do is set the TXEPAon Tail ROTOR to 100%, that sets the Piro rate, then I set the GYRO"Limit" to control how far the slider actually moves on the rotor for max deflection in HH mode.

(Sorry for off-topic - if you have to remove it, pls let me know)
Old 01-13-2011, 07:08 PM
ohmyers

I'm glad that you went off topic. That little tid bit of info on the gyro controlling endpoints was something I didn't know. I recently switched from Jr. to Aurora and am finding it quite a learning curve. Set up with airplanes was easy. I wish that Finless Bob would do a video on a simple setup from the beginning for a heli. There are a lot more possibilities for disaster with a heli and its programming.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:23 AM
JIMF14D

Thanks for the input. I will get the plane together and see how much difference there is and then see what Imight need. I was trying to get ideas on two issues:
  1. How to trim out any rpm differences that might at exist. Since this is my first twin Ihave no idea what to expect with an EP system.
  2. Was there a way to get some rudder effect from the motors via a rudder to motor mix since the BH OV-1 does not have a rudder. Rudder is handy to take out heading errors during landing line up since we tend to have some have lots of days with a 30-45 degree cross wind.
Jim D.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:12 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: vasek

>
>
There haven't been any consistent reports of a lockout for the Aurora unlike for the Spektrum system.
>
>

Good luck
V.
vasek,

Your statement makes me do some thinking and ask myself some questions. Perhaps you have done also.

How many Spektrum system are in use compared to Aurora ?
Are the Auroras morein the hands of less experience fliers that do not dare blame the radio ?
What proportion of Spektrum blamed failures or problems are really radio problems ?

If many more Spektrums are in the hands of long time pilots, these fellows may do more daring flying and have much more mishaps to report as being attributed to radios.

There is so much to consider that enters the overall picture including the advertising industry.

Since any Spektrum reported failure is hearsay (computer monitor read out) and not verifiable, I even wonder if we have (read) competition adept or advertising agency(cies)making detrimental postings.

We canhave or make all kinds of conjectures when we have nothing else than ink on paper or monitor screens to read.

Zor

Old 01-14-2011, 02:02 PM
husker
My Feedback: (1)

Really glad to hear there are going to be some specials for new customers. After owning 2 prism 7's 1 Eclipse and 11 7.2 receivers also 1 2.4 Airtronics with 5 receivers because HI-Tec did not have 2.4. Now I have the Aurora 9 with 5 receivers and I really like the radio and it is a good buy but where is the specials for the old die hard Hi-Tec customers
Old 01-14-2011, 04:29 PM
mtnlvr

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

The Free RX offer is for new customers but the Promo Hat/Shirt is open for all owners. We're working on a new form for that and will post it shortly along with some pics.

Mike.
Mike,

Just wondering about your statement. You mention the free Rx is for new customers and that the hat/shirt is open for all, but what about the Rx half price deals? Are they available for all customers?
Old 01-15-2011, 01:39 PM
boothg-3

no lockouts for me on the A9 so far
flying for 31 years now, so i can distinguish between radio issue and dumb thumbs when flying
Old 01-16-2011, 08:54 AM
JIMF14D

No A9 problems for me so far. Owned Tx since March 2010 and now have 8 Rxs. But I did wonder how many angels can fit on the head of a pin sometimes but Igot over it.

Jim D
Old 01-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: husker

Really glad to hear there are going to be some specials for new customers. After owning 2 prism 7's 1 Eclipse and 11 7.2 receivers also 1 2.4 Airtronics with 5 receivers because HI-Tec did not have 2.4. Now I have the Aurora 9 with 5 receivers and I really like the radio and it is a good buy but where is the specials for the old die hard Hi-Tec customers
A good and appropiate question.

This promotion is aimed at increased sales.

The money received from old die hard Hi-Tec customer that supported the company and made it successful is already in the coffin ; buried and forgotten.

Progress is looking at the future and building on the past.

The sales short or long term budget for a company manufacturng or distributing original equipment shows very little repeat business. Some basic principles of accounting.

You may discredit my statement which comes from my best friend who is head of finance in Canada for a world wide operating large corporation.

Zor

Old 01-16-2011, 12:05 PM
rs402931

I love my Aurora.......no problems with it whatsoever. While promotions are nice......I'd rather see great cust/tech support which HITEC has than lot of promotions and no support - ANDinferior quality. I'll stick with HITEC

bob s
Old 01-16-2011, 12:32 PM
boothg-3

DITTO
Old 01-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Zor
Banned

I do not blame you at all.

I might even buy one myself for my next system.

I have the manual and am intrigued wih this touch screen setup.

Zor
Old 01-16-2011, 06:49 PM
sbtiger
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

New Aurora Promo offer:

LIMITED TIME OFFER

Buy any Aurora 9 2.4 GHz radio system
between January 1st, 2011 and April 30th
Receive a Optima 7 Receiver for Free

Who Can Take Advantage of This Offer?
•This offer is good ONLY to buyers of Aurora 9 2.4GHz Radios in the US, Canada or Mexico where the radio is purchased from a retailer in one of those countries.
•This offer is only good to new purchases of Aurora 9 2.4GHz Radios with an order or invoice date that is between January 1st, 2011 and April 30th, 2011.
•This must clearly be shown on the receipt and the receipt must clearly show the retailers name and address.
•Limit one offer per household

How Can I Take Advantage of This Offer?
•Buy a new Aurora 9 2.4 GHz Radio System from a retailer in the US, Canada or Mexico between January 1st, 2011 and April 30th, 2011.
•Cut out the UPC Code from the Aurora 9 Box
•Make a copy of your purchase receipt (receipt must show radio was ordered or invoiced between 1/1/2011 & 4/30/201. Receipt must show retailers name and address.
•Fill out this ORDER FORM
•Mail It along with a legible copy of your purchase receipt and the UPC code from the box to the address below:
AURORA 9 OFFER
12115 PAINE ST
POWAY, CA 92064
Entries must be received by June 1st 2011.

Allow 4-6 Weeks for Delivery. We WILL NOT Ship outside of North America. All items shipped via US postal service. Recipients outside of the USA are responsible for any duties and taxes.

What Else Can I Get?
For a limited time we are offering these special half off BONUS offers on the following items:
Another Optima Receiver for half price (Choose only 1)

An Extra Optima 9 for 74.99 (Retail Value $149.99)
OR
An Extra Optima 7 for 39.99(Retail Value $79.99)
OR
An Extra Optima 6 for 34.99(Retail Value $69.99)
AND
Hitec Aurora Promo Pack
Includes Limited Edition Aurora 9 T-shirt, Hat and decal pack
(39.99 Retail Value) Offered at 19.99

BONUS OFFERS SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY NO SUBSTITUTIONS

Link to webpage: http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/air...roraoffer.html
Mike,

I just purchased a new Aurora 9 and I'm very excited to try it. I'm going to take advantage of the promotional offer for a free and extra receiver. However, in your post you stated "An Extra Optima 6". I saw on the Order Form for this promotion an "Optima 6 Lite, 6 Channel Lightweight". Is this just the "Standard" Optima 6" or is this the new Optima 6 Lite on Hitec's web page?
Thanks
Steve

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.