Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Old 11-21-2009, 06:32 AM
Chancho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Thanks Brendon-HiTec &Bob for the Rebate info...

Bob, I see what you’re saying about just ordering the 7 channel receiver version. However I'm just going to leave it in the queue with the 9 channel version.I don’t want to lose my spot in the waiting line.I don’t need a 9 channel for anything I have, but it won’t hurt, either.
It’s only been a couple days on backorder and I must have checked status at least 10 times.I’ve been in this spot with Tower before and staring at the backorder status as it gets rolled out further and further. I can really feel for the guys who’ve waited more than a few months for these radios. This is THE radio to have, so it’s worth the wait.If it’s here in time to put under the tree, then this Santa will be happy.
Maybe you guys can stop writing about all the cool features until I get mine?I can’t take it anymore!

Best Regards,

Phil Green
Old 11-21-2009, 09:41 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

I pulled these parameters off of RCGroups

Trickle charging works the same way for Nicads & NiMH. The basic idea is (if I remember correctly) is:

Slow Charge: 1/10 c
Trickle Charge: 1/100 c

Assuming you mean a set it and forget it charge current for trickle charging.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47994

The Capacity of a battery determines what the Trickle Charge Rate should be.

For a 2500mah battery, a Trickle Charge Rate would be 25ma Constant. Most Wall Chargers have been 50mah, and that was based upon the fact that the Tx and Rx batteries that came with the radio were usually 500-600mah. I know pilots who keep their Tx and Rx batteries on charge all year round using a device called Little Trickle, from Ace, I believe. This is, of course, for NiCad and NiMh batteries.

Even at 50ma, with a Wall Charger, it would not hurt a 2500mah NiMh to leave it on for a few days. Check the output of your Wall Charger to determine what it's output rate is.

I believe a trickle charge is 1/50 c.

Bruce
Old 11-21-2009, 09:53 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pulled the Trickle Charge numbers off that RCGroups thread. If it were 1/50th, then 50ma would be the Trickle Charge rate for a 2500mah NiMh battery. Perhaps Red's Battery Clinic web site has more accurate information.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:36 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: PlaneKrazee What type of connector does the battery pack have on it? Is it designed for repeated multiple insertions?
Please refer plug details and pictures provided:

Aurora A9 Battery Compartment Fit Lipol battery and connectors
Aurora A9 - Lipol User Adjustable Voltage sets Shut Down = TURNS TX OFF to save damage to Lipol and/or TX
(Audible Battery Warning is still at 6.9V with Lipol which provides say 10-20 min before shutdown.)
Aurora A9 Warning Alarms Battery types,voltage levels and consumption - withPower/Battery Management Screen Shots.
Aurora A9 Diode in TX Charge Circuit Never Jump TX Charge Circuit Diode - Hitec FAQ.
Aurora A9, Eclipse 7, Flash 4&5, Optic 6, Prism 7 series Lipol, Field and Fast Charging.

Aurora 9 Mixes, Setups, Tips, Undocumented Features. (regularly updated:.

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 11-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Slats!

Its amazing all these little complaints, batteries, diodes this that. I agree I think there is some easy stuff that they did leave out that they should have fixed but when you put it on a sheet there is allot to like. BUT the main thing is I have not seen one report of a brown out or loss of signal which is great.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Let me add ONE additional enthusiastic comment....this thing links FAST. Once it is married up, the system doesn't seem to care if you go RX off first, or not, and the signal is there NOW.
There is also NOdiscernible lag between servos... on my Ultimate, the elevators track VERY well, and running in the "TEST" mode using the TX to control it, you can watch each step....it is really very surprising.
Then, there is the "speed" at center....holy mackeral....the video somewhere of someone letting go of the stick, and the servos following the "boing" of the spring going to center is absolutely true.

One last thing....power consumption.... I used 1100 mah for 7 hours and 36 minutes of "power up" transmitting time. That's average "full power" current draw of 146 ma. Ain't much....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ki18123.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	551.5 KB
ID:	1318283   Click image for larger version

Name:	to44760.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	577.5 KB
ID:	1318284   Click image for larger version

Name:	ze84672.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	1318285  
Old 11-22-2009, 01:29 PM
boothg-3

i have my aurora ordered cant wait to get it
Old 11-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Bob Pastorello

Well, IFOUNDIT!!!!!!!! A"Limitation".....had to search hard to find it....The Aurora has a feature no other TX has in the world that Iknow of, and that is the ability to place the 'frequently used features' on a "CUSTOM"button, so you have one programming button to get to your most frequently used programming adjustments. It's really a very handy feature, and will be very useful doing trimming tweaks at the field.

BUT- You must set up this "CUSTOM" button for each airplane!!!!!!!!Imagine that !!!!!!!! I have to go in there and setup this special customizing programming for each individual model.

Man, this sucks.....guess I'll have to sell the damn thing now. Cannot live with that kind of poor design.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:39 PM
MikeMayberry

I like to set up a model memory to use as a template which would include assigning the switches and custom menu, etc.... then copy this model to the new one and all that stuff is already there!

Now you don't have to sell it Bob!

Mike.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Bob Pastorello

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

I like to set up a model memory to use as a template which would include assinging the switches and custom menu, etc.... then copy this model to the new one and all that stuff is already there!

Now you don't have to sell it Bob!

Mike.
WHEW! Glad to hear that.

(Of course, my whole post was totally TIC, as that Custom feature is just another in the long list of "wow" things that this radio does.)

Sure wish there were some 9 channel receivers in country to fill backorders......
Old 11-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Meyer1811

Hey,

Mike got there before I did on using the copy function to move all the custom folder stuff over!!

Yo, Mike, I could sure use a couple of 6 channel receivers. Any idea when they will be available?

I am also bummed. I crashed today and the antenna was torn off my receiver about 1/4 inch from the case. Is it possible to solder it back on or do I need to send it in for repair??

John
Old 11-22-2009, 09:58 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello

Well, I FOUND IT!!!!!!!! A ''Limitation''.....had to search hard to find it....The Aurora has a feature no other TX has in the world that I know of, and that is the ability to place the 'frequently used features' on a ''CUSTOM'' button, so you have one programming button to get to your most frequently used programming adjustments. It's really a very handy feature, and will be very useful doing trimming tweaks at the field.

BUT - You must set up this ''CUSTOM'' button for each airplane!!!!!!!! Imagine that !!!!!!!! I have to go in there and setup this special customizing programming for each individual model.

Man, this sucks.....guess I'll have to sell the damn thing now. Cannot live with that kind of poor design.
Actually the Airtronics SD-10G has the custom menu too. However it is limited to 10 entries which for me was not enough to hold everything I wanted. That's partly because the SD-10G is organized weird. To set up a mix takes 3 different menus as I recall and a lot of scrolling up and down to find what you want. That's the only reason I didn't like it as well as the Hitec.

TF
Old 11-24-2009, 12:48 AM
nachman4859
My Feedback: (3)

Glad to Report after about 15 flights on my Yak.... I REALLY LIKE THIS RADIO! It is Great ,,I Have the first one in my town and club and have loaned my plane and radio to a few of my flying buddies ... and they are scratching out the two front teeth request from santa and putting AURORA 9 -on the christmas list.... HOHOHO
Old 11-24-2009, 07:58 AM
Chancho

Great to hear Nachman and glad you like it. I cannot read enough good things about this radio.I just hope that the Hitec Santa sleigh is here to fulfill backorders before Christmas.
Hitec; Mike or Brendon,Will I have better probability of getting my Tower Hobbies backorder filled with the Aurora 7 ch. receiver or the 9 ch. Receiver version.If it would get here faster I’d cancel the 9 channel receiver version and put on order the 7 channel receiver version.I don’t want to lose my place in line, either. I know you guys get asked this about 100 times a day, but are you expecting to get the backorders filled before Chrstmas?
Old 11-24-2009, 02:36 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

If I know Tower and most large businesses...If you cancel and re-order you will be treated as a new order and probably wind up at the back of the line. So if they wouldn't fulfill all of either you would be waiting for a shipment again. Just a wild guess at how it would work.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Chancho

10-4 on that, 4*60

In my experience leads me to think thatTower'sshipping estimator clerk has always been on420.

I want to think the same thing about leaving line and getting back in another. It just makes sense. I can't win with lines, either. If a lane in traffic is moving fasterI just have to get in that lane and it will slow down. I'll try to have a some patience and just leave my order as it is and hope for the best. I'm pretty sure the Hitec guys are tired of being beat up on ship dates and it's really out of their control.

It's the holidays.So we have to be appreciative and accept things how they are. And more than world peace, this year I'll just ask that all backordered radios get delivered.
<o></o>

Old 11-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Scubadog

Mike Mayberry posted this in another forum today.

"The air shipment arrived today, so they should ship early next week (Q.C. plus Closed for T.Day TH/F.) The sea shipment is due in another week or so. "

He didn't say which one 9 or 7 channel receiver.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:29 PM
MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: Chancho

Great to hear Nachman and glad you like it. I cannot read enough good things about this radio. [img][/img] I just hope that the Hitec Santa sleigh is here to fulfill backorders before Christmas.
Hitec; Mike or Brendon, Will I have better probability of getting my Tower Hobbies backorder filled with the Aurora 7 ch. receiver or the 9 ch. Receiver version. If it would get here faster I’d cancel the 9 channel receiver version and put on order the 7 channel receiver version. I don’t want to lose my place in line, either. I know you guys get asked this about 100 times a day, but are you expecting to get the backorders filled before Chrstmas?
I'd keep your place in line for the 9Ch version.

Mike.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Chancho

Mike,

Thank you for the tip and info. I will unquestionalbly will stay put!

Best Regards,

Phil Green
Old 11-25-2009, 09:59 PM
89blackvert
My Feedback: (2)

Well I broke down and finally ordered one today.... I am pretty new to this (about 3 years of heli's) but I have been looking for a "good" radio to invest in.  So far this looks like an awesome tx.  Can't wait to get it.... 3 weeks... or so?? 
Old 11-25-2009, 10:10 PM
RR24

I did the same, put my order in on the Tower wanting list
Old 11-26-2009, 01:47 PM
czaiss

Just Got mine.

Took me an hour and about 6 tries to get proper flaperons. Until I read the manual cover to cover and realized it was renamed.
Well what can you do. Other than that, the radio is pretty nice, love the custom menus.

The external wire on the module is a bit strange and could have been internal, but the idea of a module is to be modular so its removable. Although the 72mhz antenna goes through the remote so why not the 2.4.

Two things I noticed, first thing at startup, it asks you if you want to transmit, then only does so once your throttle is down. I see how this is a safety mechanism, however in 2.4ghz world it shouldn't be possible to interfere with another remote anyway, and as far as the throttle check, that should be optional only if you have an electric model.

The reason why both of these bother me is because I read the manual cover to cover and it says, in normal mode the system will reconnect instantly in the event of a power interruption/ reconnection. However Id say that if you were flying the plane and some how you managed to interrupt the power to your transmiter, either by the switch or faulty connection, your model would not survive the 10 seconds it will take to go through the questionair on the screen.

It should be optional to have the statup questionair.

On the other side, the receiver must bootup in the event of a momentary power loss, Its not as troubling but it goes pretty wacky for a split second. Might be enough to kill it.

also, I would have thought since the radio has telemetry ability, it would be able to tell the operator that it is out of range or the loss of the telemetryconnection would. but while testing at home I turned off the receiver and cant tell in any way that there is no more connection, the receiver battery voltage remains contant as it does anyway with decent batteries and there are no warnings. Although this may be contingent on the receiver having the same transmit strength as the transmitter, Has anyone determined the actual telemetry distance. At the least they could make a warning beep that there is no more telemetry, and get rid of the battery reading when clearly a reading hasnt come in.

Last thing, the low range test, they made the button so small and embedded into the module such that you need asmall tool to press it, so much for just needing the radio to fly. Also the lights on the back dont help unless the radio is upside down, they could have put remote leds on the base of the antenna stand.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:27 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: czaiss Just Got mine. Took me an hour and about 6 tries to get proper flaperons. Until I read the manual cover to cover and realized it was renamed. Well what can you do. Other than that, the radio is pretty nice, love the custom menus.snip> Last thing, I would have thought since the radio has telemetry ability, it would be able to tell the operator that it is out of range.
Feedback appreciated and noted in our developing user'sAurora Wish List file.

Answers to many questions already provided:
Aurora 9 Mixes, Setups, Tips, Undocumented Features. {frequently updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 11-26-2009, 03:14 PM
czaiss

Thanks, I didn't know about that page,

It does cover all but my own preference about the safe startup, range test button, and maybe the telemetry distance/out of range warning,

although the explanation as to why they didn't have an out of range test makes sense, its not that hard to make a warning to the pilot if the receiver is losing power or not receiving telemetry. Instead of putting a stronger telemetry transmitter, just assume that if no telemetry has come in for a certain period of time, youve got a problem.

I just read your range test results, 1300 ft. I guess it may not be necessary to know if its out of range, youll know because you cant see the ariplane.

Just for kicks, maybe I'll go out this weekend and test the telemetry range and the full power range.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:20 PM
paul0367

I have my Aurora 9 on order by my lovely wife, now you can not ask for more than that

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.