Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Old 03-11-2011, 08:32 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

I just did a quick search to find that page. I was not sure if those were the only choices available to you. I thought you might be able to search the site and find the proper adapter. I have used Futaba for years, so I am familiar with the Round DIN and the Square connectors on Futaba radios. I still have the Round to Square Trainer Cords. I thought JR/Spektrum were the only radios that required batteries in both the Master and the Slave. It sounds like you have to be careful since the A9 operates at a lower voltage.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Beej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks - will have another look and maybe a trip to the LHS!

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

I just did a quick search to find that page. I was not sure if those were the only choices available to you. I thought you might be able to search the site and find the proper adapter. I have used Futaba for years, so I am familiar with the Round DIN and the Square connectors on Futaba radios. I still have the Round to Square Trainer Cords. I thought JR/Spektrum were the only radios that required batteries in both the Master and the Slave. It sounds like you have to be careful since the A9 operates at a lower voltage.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:23 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Beej Hi to All, I'm really enjoying my Aurora 9 and have well and truly retired my Futaba 6EX. But now I want to do some instructing and I need advice on what cable (if any) will let me use the Aurora 9 as the master and the 6EX (fairly new..square pin) as the slave.
Any advice appreciated, as usual! Thanks Beej
Please refer to full instructions:
Aurora 9 - Trainer / Buddy system Master & Slave function Set-up. & Data Transfer A9<>A9.
As well as posts 13 & 15 in regard to use of Futaba mini square plugs.
Note comment that Futaba are good for standard Acro without much mixing but do not use for Heli training as the cyclic and trims are different.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers - FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

(quick search = Ctrl+F)
Old 03-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Looks like my batteries are toast! Tried a few 1700 MaH NiMh
s on my new A9 setup with GPS module, moving the sticks around I am getting low voltage warnings (6.0v 5-cell), on either pack. A9 set to 5.5v LBW. I am using one for the BAT port, and one to power the sensor station. These batteries are new but on the shelf for 1 yr. maybe 2 with ZERO usage. Should I go 2S LiPo for the SPC, and NiMh for the servos?

Also I did'nt get any instructions for the Sensor Port, does it need a seperate battery, or power off of a servo port on the Optima 7..??
Old 03-14-2011, 06:21 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: Prop_Washer2 Looks like my batteries are toast! Tried a few 1700 MaH NiMh
s on my new A9 setup with GPS module, moving the sticks around I am getting low voltage warnings (6.0v 5-cell), on either pack. A9 set to 5.5v LBW. I am using one for the BAT port, and one to power the sensor station. These batteries are new but on the shelf for 1 yr. maybe 2 with ZERO usage. Should I go 2S LiPo for the SPC, and NiMh for the servos? Also I did'nt get any instructions for the Sensor Port, does it need a seperate battery, or power off of a servo port on the Optima 7..??
1. NiMH batteries do not develop full power until cycled at least three times and must also be toped up occasionally when stored, see comments under:.
Aurora 9 - Battery is not charged. Charge before first use so as not to damage battery. Battery is 1300 mAh_charge rate is 80 mAh (to minimise damage if left on to long at any time) = 19-20 hours for first full charge - please read the further details.

Powered from the transceiver with separate lead, refer text &pictures:
Telemetry - Instruction Sheets & User Guide with pictures plus Enhancements Under Development.

Alan T.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Great info Alan, you are the MASTER..!!

How about the optical tach sensor, is it for Heli's only or can I mount it on the top or bottom of the fuse behind the engine, perhaps aim it mid-way thru the prop arc..??
Old 03-14-2011, 08:52 PM
GizmoMadMax

Hello Hitec Team, I purchased the Hitec A9 system becuase of price and value & featuers, but the receivers and the new 6 LITE are still expensive?

The 6 LITE is priced mainly around $50 & $52 ????
We thougth the future micro Rx would be another $10 to $20 below the standard 6, but so far has Not happened?
When will hitec put these out cheaper than the Micro 05s ?

Many of us have to outfit a fleet from FM & Spectrum, but at $52 + shipping a pop is a chunk of change?

So far, my sons Optic 6 has both the FM & 2.4 modules, so for the moment we are using the micro 05S'..., but now buying the Corona FM receivers while we wait for your price drop?
Corona RS400 FM Full Range DSP Receiver $11

What is the business plan and timing for the $20 to $25 to $30 receivers?
Also, is there any online stores with a SALE on the 6 LITE ?
When will prices drop on all receivers?

Thank you!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 12:36 AM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: GizmoMadMax Hello Hitec Team, I purchased the Hitec A9 system becuase of price and value & featuers, but the receivers and the new 6 LITE are still expensive? The 6 LITE is priced mainly around $50 & $52 ???? We thougth the future micro Rx would be another $10 to $20 below the standard 6, but so far has Not happened? When will hitec put these out cheaper than the Micro 05s ?
Many of us have to outfit a fleet from FM & Spectrum, but at $52 + shipping a pop is a chunk of change?
So far, my sons Optic 6 has both the FM & 2.4 modules, so for the moment we are using the micro 05S'..., but now buying the Corona FM receivers while we wait for your price drop? Corona RS400 FM Full Range DSP Receiver $11 What is the business plan and timing for the $20 to $25 to $30 receivers?
Also, is there any online stores with a SALE on the 6 LITE ? When will prices drop on all receivers?
Thank you!!!
Whilst one can never comment on another distributors pricing, can advise that the Optima Lite must be more expensive than the original Optima 6 Transceiver as it is the identical unit with a more expensive case and made in smaller productiond runs to satisfy what is in reality a still small market segment.
Please remember clones do not have to pay for all the design research and degree of tooling revisions, simply back engineer and copy e.g.check out the many small RTF sets with TX identical cases to a top F brand then open and find little substance.

Cheap DIY "Lite"Hitec options have been available for a long time..
Optima Receivers - Light Weight Minima 6E, 6T Receivers & new Optima_6 LITE Transceiver
- also Caseless Weights for 6 & 7ch Optima Transceivers.

Optima Transceiver (RX) - Conversion for Indoor and Park-Flyers and Alternate Lightweight 2.4GHz Antenna.
Hitec "Factory Pilot" Brandon Chitty uses the Optima 7 in his indoor competition Fancy Foam Maxima that weighs 8oz, as well as his 170CC DA powered 42% Aeroworks Yak.

Doubt the new Minima 6, even without Telemetry, will ever be in the $20 price range and still meet market expectations for a genuine Hitec product.

FWIW just this morning had two local club membersjeering as to why the popular HS-55 servo was more expensive than a HK copy. Put two of each brand servo on the bench with identical set ups and showed the current draw of the cheap servo with cheap motor was almost double - reason for most of their brownouts albeit with another popular USA RC system.

Alan T.

(quick search = Ctrl+F)

Old 03-15-2011, 03:13 AM
JIMF14D

You can get the Optima 6 lite from Tom's RC online for $44.93 if you sign up for an account. Shipping is $3 usually.This is about the same price as the full size 6 channel and it looks like they both have the same specs except for weight and volume. They have good service and prices on most Hitec stuff and I have bought several Rxs from them. They are also on Ebay as tti.

If you want a good price on an Aurora 9/7 channel system see A Main Hobbies online. $325 with free shipping after discount code: DPPMAR1125. Good to the end of April and you can get a free 7 channel Rx from Hitec too!

http://shop.tomsrc.com/product_info....oducts_id=2786

I think it is wishful thinking to expect a quality RX with TM from Hitec for $20-$30. Maybe Hobby King will steal the technology and do it eventually.

Have fun
Old 03-15-2011, 02:23 PM
rogerkeatley

Can anyone tell me how to make the startup conditions be model specific, as since the update to 1.08 they have all become system wide. Additionally how do you now cancel the low battery warning when it activates. I have to walk out to my combat wing with the TX beeping away !
Thanks.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:22 PM
GizmoMadMax

Thanks for the replies, and along with them, i still have some questions.

I was actually looking for the 4 gram class micro (or maybe called almost nano class) weight...

Will the new minima come in around 4 grams with the case removed?
Where can we purchase the minima 6E, tower does NOT have it available yet, ah bummer, i am striking out all over here for the 4gram class?

Model -................- With Case -..........- Case Removed
Optima 9 -...........- 23g -........................- ?
Optima 7 -...........- 17g -........................- 9- 10g ??
Optima 6 -...........- 15.3g -.....................- 7-8g ??
Optima 6 LITE -....- 10g -.......................- ???????
Optima 9 Minima -.- 6.5g -......................- ???????

* #1 I have a whole stack of the Hitec Micro 05S FM Rx's in my stock from replacing them this past year with Optima's, but they WEIGH 8grams... too heavy for my son's Raptor GS that really needs a 2 to 4 gram Rx...
* #2 Then my Nephew just picked up the TechOne micro indoor flyer that also needs a 4gram or smaller Rx.
>> Hint, the kids are now paying for 80% of their gear with their earnings and allowance money, so money is a big issue. everytime i turn around they are swapping or grabbing another plane at a RC flea market and dad is no longer buying their optima 6's at $50 a pop....

** Now my son has the optic 6 with both the 2.4 module & the FM module (while dad has the A9 )

***Q&A*** So do I keep the price down and go with one of the following?
1. Corona RS410 II for $11 + $2.50 for crystal $12.50 (Bphobbies)
2. Castle Creation Berg 4L 4g full range receiver, autoshift, FM, good features like failsafe, etc $30 (plus crystal $7) = $37 (Towerhobbies)
3. GWH pico but limited range and shift specific for JR vs hitech, etc compatibility $20 + $7 crystal $27

4. Nano 2.5gram ZX Technology R4J Nano Receiver for Aircraft $11.25 + $2.50 for crystal
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...4&pid=C2680119

Doesn't look like we can shave the Micro 05S to 5 grams, unless someone here can educate us on some tricks? maybe the old dremel tool to shave off some black plastic around the connectors, but maybe only an ounce????
Micro 05S with crystal & no case - 9grams+ i suspect

So maybe use my son's optic 6 & FM module, while we wait for the Minima 6 and 4 gram'ers to come around? But then again, the kids can't afford it...
So old forums from 2007 show the old corona rs400 was junk, but now i see this newer corona rs410, so assume it is fixed and a good full featured great priced Rx??? any thoughts from all your experiences out there?

So I am digging here to figure out what to do???

Thanks so much in advance for the help everyone!!!!

Old 03-15-2011, 03:40 PM
GizmoMadMax

** Bind & Fly area also**

Of coarse my JR/spectrum buddies rail my A9 choice and BNF situations that keep jamming me and others up....

So that begs the next question:
When will hitec supply us with a nano BNF Rx to replace all those spectrum Rx's on the goodies out there?

Old 03-15-2011, 03:53 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

ORIGINAL: GizmoMadMax

What is the business plan and timing for the $20 to $25 to $30 receivers?
Also, is there any online stores with a SALE on the 6 LITE ?
When will prices drop on all receivers?

Thank you!!!
Thought you could take the case off the 6 and make it light? Then go to Tower and pay for a 3-pack and use a discount code. You will be around $30 per receiver.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:07 PM
GizmoMadMax

Well I could remove the case, but it is still 8 or 9 grams, where we need to be around 4 grams for indoor micro flyers like the RaptorGS and the TechOne

RaptorGS - 16.5" wingspan - AXON Raptor GS
http://flyairhobbyrc.com/axon-raptor-p-885.html
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1073163

TechOne Mini-Yak54 16.5" wingspan
http://www.techonehobby.com/proview.asp?id=184

Old 03-15-2011, 05:41 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: rogerkeatley Can anyone tell me how to make the startup conditions be model specific, as since the update to 1.08 they have all become system wide. Additionally how do you now cancel the low battery warning when it activates. I have to walk out to my combat wing with the TX beeping away ! Thanks.
1. Which start up conditions your are referring, V1.08 has given more control over existing system wide features.
Aurora 9 - Firmware Update V1.08 Manual....
refer to: .Screen shots of the new displays plus additonal information and attached pictures..

2. Negative to a total turnoff of alarm, however there is an easy reset =

Timer Reset Method: Press & hold the Timer (1 or 2) screen for about 2 seconds which you want to reset.

Aurora 9 - Timer x 3 Set and Beeps. Count Down/Up Set On/Off % of Throttle Stick Movement and reset method for V1.04<V1.07.
partial extract
"Aurora has a total of three timers.
. Two can be assigned to count either up or down and assigned to be activated via a switch or the throttle stick.
. The third timer is an overall timer to show how long the radio has been powered up. Reset this after charging the batteries so you can track the runtime of the radio and estimate how long until you will need to recharge
. Timer beeps every one minute and then once ever second at the 20 second to go mark and then twice every second for the last 10 seconds."
Aurora V1.07. - Timer: Improved Functions

Aurora 9 -Warning Alarms
"Battery Low Voltage Alarm - Voltage alarm may sound on Aurora when RX/Power battery is disconnected. This is because the telemetry cycles about 3 times/second, sometimes when you are unplugging the battery it will sense the voltage drop and the warning will kick in, but sometimes it won't because once you unplug the battery there is no signal going back to the TX. This is a hit and miss thing due to the way the system works."
This cannot be silenced except by turning the TX Off, a good reminder..

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:

Alan T.

(quick search = Ctrl+F)
Old 03-15-2011, 06:57 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Due early next month, is the Minima 6T which is 6g but you can get it down to 4g with the plastic case removed. http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/new.../minima6t.html

Mike.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:51 AM
rogerkeatley

Thanks A.T.

Earlier posts by Mike on the 1.08 update seem to infer that the startup settings (High Throttle, Abnormal Flight Condition etc.) are model specific as - “Warning at Start Up†setup can be applied to all models in the radio at once by selecting “To All Models†would imply, but I cant't find a 'To All Models' button I want these settings to be model specific as High Throttle for example is not relevant to a glider but is to an electric model.

Mike's earlier post also contains "4. Reset for battery alarm. " i.e. silence the low battery warning when it activates. Again I can't find how to do this ?

Or maybe I am missing something ?
Old 03-16-2011, 09:28 AM
MikeMayberry

I thing the select to all was a misunderstanding on our part as now these settings are global and apply to all models.

The battery alarm override did not make it in to this update as it was more difficult to integrate than expected but we hope to have this available in the near future with a minor update like V1.08(1).

Mike.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:04 AM
rogerkeatley

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info, I think I'll go back to 1.07(1) for the meantime as the startup settings are now only ever right for half my models, I fly petrol, glow, electric, scale gliders and HLG with the Aurora. I think pretty much all these settings should be model specific as most people fly a variety of different types and flexibility is one of the Aurora's strengths. This reduces flexibility. I still think the radio is fantastic value for money and just wish we could get hold of more of the add-ons in the UK where the radio is not well marketed, though the aftercare is good.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:42 AM
rs402931

mike

tower now shows minima not due till late june for the 6t late july for the 6e. Is this correct or still april for the 6t?

thanks,
Bob S
Old 03-16-2011, 02:55 PM
MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: rogerkeatley

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info, I think I'll go back to 1.07(1) for the meantime as the startup settings are now only ever right for half my models, I fly petrol, glow, electric, scale gliders and HLG with the Aurora. I think pretty much all these settings should be model specific as most people fly a variety of different types and flexibility is one of the Aurora's strengths. This reduces flexibility. I still think the radio is fantastic value for money and just wish we could get hold of more of the add-ons in the UK where the radio is not well marketed, though the aftercare is good.
It's up to you but giving up the advanced Glider programing in V1.08 just so you don't have to worry about having your throttle stick all the way down when you start sounds like a bad trade off to me!

Mike.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:17 AM
rogerkeatley

Hello Mike,

So I (we) just end up using the lowest common denominator and turning all the warnings off, or having warnings come up which don't apply to the model in use. Seems a bit pointless in having the feature then if can't be applied in a meaningful and useful way.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:47 PM
GizmoMadMax

Will Hitec offer a promo on the minima T receiver, of like a 4 pak at a crazy low promo price, mayb 4 for $50 ?
Old 03-25-2011, 02:33 AM
rogerkeatley

Can anyone tell me how to get the Butterfly mix to be 'always on' i.e. it doesn't need to be linked to a switch, this was supposed to have been changed in 1.08 but I don't think it has.

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:50 AM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Fuel Level Sensor.

Will the Fuel Level sensor work on Kerosene? My Jet has a plastic tank (Like Glow fuel tank)? It would be great to be able to see fuel level on Jets since they use so much fuel compared to glow engines.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.