Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 07:39 AM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

ORIGINAL: cat7

I have found my best deal at hobbyhorse in Madison Wisconsin. http://www.hobbyhorse.com/hitec_aurora.shtml
Aurora 9 with (4) Optima 7 Channel Receivers...$450.00

Ed
Thanks Cat! Just ordered. And it even comes with a free receiver from Hitec still!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Left Coast DJ

ORIGINAL: Elwood

Where is the best deal for an A9 online?

+1 on the Hobby Horse deal. Aurora 9 with 2 Optima 7s + a free Optima 7 from Hitec for $350. I'm very close to going for this deal.

http://www.hobbyhorse.com/hitec_aurora.shtml

Old 03-20-2012, 02:41 PM
Jesper1979

I'm looking at a FPV setup on ebay, and this kit offers the possibility to get the TX info on the screen inside the FPV glasses.
The FPV glasses are connected to the TX with a cable. Could this feature be used with the Hitec Aurora?
Old 03-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Elwood

I got the radio from hobby horse yesterday. Everything was there, including the extra receiver. Could have been packaged better, other then brown kraft Paper and tape over the radio box, but UPS did a good job and it came in fine condition.

Do they come with neck straps? I didn't get one, although they did throw in some CA glue!
Old 03-23-2012, 01:19 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Elwood I got the radio from hobby horse yesterday. Everything was there, including the extra receiver. Could have been packaged better, other then brown kraft Paper and tape over the radio box, but UPS did a good job and it came in fine condition. Do they come with neck straps? I didn't get one, although they did throw in some CA glue!
Aurora 9 - Radio System Includes - Stylus, Screen cleaner, Flight Preserver, Battery Holder/Switch for ID Setup in lieu if using an ESC/BEC & BODA Holder - see pictures.

Neckstraps are an optional extra.
Few brands now enclose a strap, the cheap plastic ones not seen in use.
Aurora 9 - Neck Strap Balance "#55843 Transmitter Weight Balancer".
Provides best Neck Strap Balance position for Hitec 2.4Ghz Transmitters
includes picture of Red Neckstrap #58311 & Black Neckstrap #58323

Following may also be of interest:
Aurora 9 - Transmitter - Care of, especially in high humidity areas.
Aurora 9 - Transmitter Case - Aluminium. (or use for other Hitec transmitters). #553445
Aurora 9 - Transmitter Tray & Bling 23 May 2011: latest update & .jpg Tray #58494, Red Extra Long 33mm Sticks #55864

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 03-24-2012, 07:35 AM
Elwood

Thanks for the info, A.T. I am going to try my daughters Saxophone strap, see how that works.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:27 PM
wkevinm

I have an Aurora 9 that I have had since they first came, out has operated very well. Since I have Mac computers there was no way to upgrade the firmware, even though I have had the HPP-22 for some time as well.

I have now picked up a cheap PC laptop and want to upgrade my transmitter and receivers.

Questions are;

1. I have 10 receivers all installed in pylon racing airplanes (not all are easy to get at), and do not want to upgrade all until they become available. Can I upgrade the transmitter firmware only?
2. I have Version 1.05 in my transmitter, can I go directly to the 1.08 upgrade?
3. Will there be any compatibility issues when I start the upgrades.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin M
Old 03-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

Excellent question !!!!!!

Michel
Old 03-24-2012, 07:53 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: wkevinm I have an Aurora 9 that I have had since they first came, out has operated very well. Since I have Mac computers there was no way to upgrade the firmware, even though I have had the HPP-22 for some time as well. I have now picked up a cheap PC laptop and want to upgrade my transmitter and receivers. Questions are;
1. I have 10 receivers all installed in pylon racing airplanes (not all are easy to get at), and do not want to upgrade all until they become available. Can I upgrade the transmitter firmware only?
2. I have Version 1.05 in my transmitter, can I go directly to the 1.08 upgrade?
3. Will there be any compatibility issues when I start the upgrades.
Thanks in advance, Kevin M
1. No. Some mixes of firmware willwork together but not all.
You must at least upgrade the Spectra module at same time.

2. Yes

3. Not if all are upgraded to the latetst firmware.

For Optimium performance always use the latest firmware version in each unit.
If you can access the data port, the transceivers do not need to be removed.
Optima Transceiver - Update Firmware in situ
"No need to remove transceiver from model nor disconnect servos.
Following might answer further questions:
Optima Firmware Update In Situ
Q. Can Optima be updated whilst still within model?
A. Yes - as per manual USB lead should not exceed 3' (1m) nor lead to HPP-22<>Optima exceed 12" (300mm). - quote:
. Tried upgrading several RX in large models with a extension lead ex HPP-22 but system would not recognise the transceiver.
. Changed USB lead to one with dual plugs to ports at rear of PC and system display would flash accepted then change to an error message.
. Connected a separately powered USB hub inline to HPP-22, the short lead as supplied with HPP-22 and managed to update RX without removing them from models.
. If an extension lead is left attached to data port, suggest it be shortest possible and capped/labelled to prevent other items, such as charging leads, being plugged in during a moments inattention.
The shortest possible copy of the original lead is best. One that has a similar S-01 servo plug at the free end (to avoid bad connections & with protective cap,) so as to plug direct into HPP-22.- Alan T. "

Hitec HPP-22 2.4GHz Programmer
- Manual, FAQ - How to Install & Use (with screenshots).

Aurora 9 - Firmware Update V1.06 Details.
Aurora 9 - Firmware Update V1.07(1) & (2) 01Oct10.
Aurora 9 - Firmware Updates V1.07 & V1.08(1)..

Aurora 9 - 2.4GHz & 72 mHz Manual - Firmware Update V1.06 -
1 new Page for Manual. (Includes Butterfly / Crow Set Up)
(171kb .pdf, right click & "save target as")
Aurora 9 - 2.4GHz & 72 mHz Manual - Firmware Update V1.07 -
2 new Pages for Manual.
(386kb .pdf, right click & "save target as")
Aurora 9 - 2.4GHz & 72 mHz Manual - Firmware Updates V1.07(2) & V1.08 -
7 new Pages for Manual.
(1.23mb .pdf, right click & "save target as") Manual V1.08(1) update

& Telemetry

Alan T.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:36 AM
wkevinm

Thanks A.T.

I guess its all or nothing.... ouch.

or

One more question. Since I have bought many receivers (mostly 6 channel) at various times over the last 2 years, one just yesterday in fact, is there a concern the firmware versions may not be fully compatible with the transmiter (1.05). I do not care so much about mixes as my planes use basic functions only, that are available in the original Aurora 9.

Kevin M
Old 03-25-2012, 06:59 AM
JIMF14D

6 Channel Opitma Rx can only be upgraded by Hitec Support, not via the HP-22. At least mine did.... They do it for free and takes about 10 days recently.

Jim D

Old 03-25-2012, 07:39 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

6 Channel Opitma Rx can only be upgraded by Hitec Support, not via the HP-22. At least mine did.... They do it for free and takes about 10 days recently.

Jim D

That's different I was able to upgrade all of mine. I have several Optima and cannot remember a problem. I have two Aurora's an early one and one I have just purchased and have upgraded everything to the latest software. I have enough I am kind of dreading the next update. Some of my receivers are not going to be easy to get too.

Dennis
Old 03-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Michel

ORIGINAL: Propworn

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

Jim D

That's different I was able to upgrade all of mine. I have several Optima and cannot remember a problem. I have two Aurora's an early one and one I have just purchased and have upgraded everything to the latest software. I have enough I am kind of dreading the next update. Some of my receivers are not going to be easy to get too.

Dennis
Hi

Denis , you , ( and myself as well ) and many others are facing the same problem . Something unforeseen , and we didn,t really think about . I think what I,m going to do , is add an extension to the data port , at those hard to reach receivers . Sure would save a lot of time .

Michel
Old 03-25-2012, 08:16 AM
JIMF14D

Mike, you must have a different system than I do. Mine is one from March 2010 when they first came out at the retailers. I just plugged my HP-22 into my laptop, selected receiver and there is no "target" selection for 6 channel, only Optima 7/9. I am running HP-22 software version 1.12 which I think is the latest.

The 6 channel does not have a data port to plug the HP-22 into as far as I can see.

That is why my 2nd 6 channel Rx is at Hitec this week for upgrade. The other one was upgraded there two weeks ago.

Jim D

Old 03-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Michel

Hi Jim

Nope ,....................... not me , mine also is from 2010 , and my 6 channels have , " NO " , DATA port . I ment my 7,s and 9,s . I was speaking mostly about the 7&9 channel receivers . I always wanted to know how to up-date them ,.......................... now I know .

Michel
Old 03-25-2012, 11:17 AM
wkevinm

Do I hear that the 6 channel receivers cannot be upgraded, if this is the case is there reason to upgrade the Tx if primarily using 6 ch rx.

Kevin M
Old 03-25-2012, 11:51 AM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: wkevinm
Do I hear that the 6 channel receivers cannot be upgraded, if this is the case is there reason to upgrade the Tx if primarily using 6 ch rx. Kevin M
Yes. Majority of users here have upgraded all units except for their Optima 6.
As in post #4205

Hitec HPP-22 2.4GHz Programmer
- Manual, FAQ - How to Install & Use (with screenshots).
". Optima 6, 7 & 9 Ch Transceiver Firmware V2.02(0) 07 Oct 2011"
". Update 05 Aug 2011:
"Optima 6's will be able to be updated in the near future but will have to be sent in to do so.
"Don't send them yet though... we are waiting on the jig. - Mike."
Oct 2011: Jig is available in USA, email for procedures first:
Hitec Warranty & Service
Note: Hitec USA only services North/South America and Canada.
All other countries see appropriate distributor for service.
• If you are from a country that is outside North and South America, please contact the
Hitec distributor in your country for service.
".
Upgrade Optima 6 - Is It required?
Question was put to QA Korea 22Nov11 with response:
"Doubt upgrade would impact on Optima 6 used with EP Models - as advised, change related
primarily to interference caused by petrol ignition systems."

There are many advantages to using the latest firmware in the TX&module, as can be seen in the new
pages for the manual, especiallythe ability to change the screen into two large clocks whilst flying.
Spectra Module upgrade to V3.01is essential if a Minima receiver is to beused,which means the A9
must also be updated to operate with the "new" module.

Alan T.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:01 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Kevin The six channel Optima Rx cannot be updated at home, they can be updated by returning to Hitec.

Now you can update Your Aurora 9 tx AND your module at home via the HPP-22.

As a user I feel its very unwise to not update all three items in your RF chain, Transmitter, Module and Receiver.

Thats just my opinion. I have over fifty installed Recieivers and my only 6Ch receivers have already been updated by returning them but many of my installed 7 and 9 ch receivers have not and its been a relitvely painless process of simply planning since all except those 7 Six channel Rx's are updateable. As I fly them I simply update the different airplanes the nite before. I just need to dig into airplane only enough with a short extension from my computer.

The extension I use for the HPP-22 is less than the three feet a bit and this system has not failed to update yet and I do appriciate having this ability for ongoing updates.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67992.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1742700  
Old 03-25-2012, 01:18 PM
JIMF14D

Iwould upgrade the TX and module to the latest version of software even for use with the 6 channel Rxs. There are nice features in the latest TX and module software and and according to Hitec there are better recovery algorithims.

Upgrading the TX and module is an easy 20 minute process...if you can remember where you put your HP-22 thingie. Download and install the latest HP-22 software first.

Also in hindsight it is probably best to just by 7 Channel Rxs in the future since the cost difference is small and by the time you pay $6 postage to send a 6 channel back you once, you are almost there.

Works for me!

Jim D.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:45 PM
wkevinm

Thanks all for the feed back; I feel I have a bit of a dilemma,

I hear on one hand to upgrade all TX, Module and RX... seems to make good sense. But upgrading the 6 via the mail on every software change is not practical for me.
On the other hand I hear that most 6's have not been upgraded. Perhaps this is not an issue.
And then again, why would I upgrade at all when I have not had any problems with 6 channel RX, and changes to mixing or the screen are not important to me.

Now I am a bit miffed. I race airplanes (Q40 and Q500), no sport airplanes and need lots of confidence in a system, only failure to date was twice on a 7 channel RX, before figuring it out, how to deal with this dilemma? I am leaning towards doing nothing....but how backward compatible are the newer 6 channel RX ( I have bought about 5 in the last year), I have no idea what software they have from the factory?

What does Hitec recommend?

Kevin M

Old 03-25-2012, 04:16 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: wkevinm

Thanks all for the feed back; I feel I have a bit of a dilemma,

I hear on one hand to upgrade all TX, Module and RX... seems to make good sense. But upgrading the 6 via the mail on every software change is not practical for me.
On the other hand I hear that most 6's have not been upgraded. Perhaps this is not an issue.
And then again, why would I upgrade at all when I have not had any problems with 6 channel RX, and changes to mixing or the screen are not important to me.

Now I am a bit miffed. I race airplanes (Q40 and Q500), no sport airplanes and need lots of confidence in a system, only failure to date was twice on a 7 channel RX, before figuring it out, how to deal with this dilemma? I am leaning towards doing nothing....but how backward compatible are the newer 6 channel RX ( I have bought about 5 in the last year), I have no idea what software they have from the factory?

What does Hitec recommend?

Kevin M

As was suggested, sell the 6 channel Rx's and buy the 7 channel Rx's that can be upgraded by the User. If you wish to keep the 6 channel Rx's then either send them in or forgo the upgrades. Those are your choices with the 6 channel Rx's.

Be sure to upgrade the Tx and the Module. If you have the HP-22 then this is no big deal. If you do not have the HP-22, you will need it at some point.

Those are your options.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Guitarman52

I've been following this thread still not sure what to do. I have an earlier version of software on my transmitter. I would like to upgrade but I feel like my 6 channel rx's won't work correctly. I can upgrade the other 7 & 9 channel. Will the 6 channel work without the upgrade?
Old 03-25-2012, 07:13 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: Guitarman52 I've been following this thread still not sure what to do. I have an earlier version of software on my transmitter. I would like to upgrade but I feel like my 6 channel rx's won't work correctly. I can upgrade the other 7 & 9 channel. Will the 6 channel work without the upgrade?
Please refer back to post $3213.
"". Upgrade Optima 6 - Is It required?
Question was put to QA Korea 22Nov11 with response:
"Doubt upgrade would impact on Optima 6 used with EP Models - as advised, change related
primarily to interference caused by petrol ignition systems."

Recommend upgrade the A9 &Spectra module to latest firmware, especially as it is required for
a number of the new add ons and receivers. If the old 6ch Optima are likely to be used in Petrol
engine powered models, send them in for an update.
Please also note the new ID-Setup procedure and how it differs between the receivers and transceivers.
AFHSS - ID_Setup (also known as Binding or Linking) & Range Test Procedure for
........Aurora 9, Spectra 2.4Ghz Module <> Optima Transceiver or Minima Receiver.

& Telemetry

Alan T. (Hitec Rep - NZ, & authorised to answer all questions Hitec USA forums)
Old 03-25-2012, 07:33 PM
wkevinm

AT

Thanks for trying to make this clear, but I find the subject is still not black and white. I read that post and assume EP stands for electrics. I do not run electrics, rather most are high performance glow engines in composite fuselages. Not sure why the reference to EP and not glow for 6 channel.

Can you indicate in the following scenarios if there are any compatibility issues with the TX and RX operating glow engines.

Scenarios
1. Old Tx, old 6 ch Rx no updates
2. Old Tx, new 6ch Rx
3. Old Tx, new 7 or 9 ch Rx.
4. Old Tx updated, old 6ch Rx no updates
5. New Tx updated, old 6ch Rx no updates

Kevin M
Old 03-26-2012, 12:18 AM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: wkevinm AT Thanks for trying to make this clear, but I find the subject is still not black and white. I read that post and assume EP stands for electrics. I do not run electrics, rather most are high performance glow engines in composite fuselages. Not sure why the reference to EP and not glow for 6 channel. Can you indicate in the following scenarios if there are any compatibility issues with the TX and RX operating glow engines. Scenarios
1. Old Tx, old 6 ch Rx no updates
2. Old Tx, new 6ch Rx
3. Old Tx, new 7 or 9 ch Rx.
4. Old Tx updated, old 6ch Rx no updates
5. New Tx updated, old 6ch Rx no updates Kevin M
Scenarios
1. Old Tx, old 6 ch Rx no updates - No problem except system not operating to full potential with slower reconnection, especially near ignition type interference recoverymay not occur in time to avoid terra firma
or simply lock out.
(Use Normal Mode, not Scan Mode - scan mode has been changed to Scan Function)
2. Old Tx, new 6ch Rx - Will not connect.
3. Old Tx, new 7 or 9 ch Rx. A9 Firmware 1.03<1.06, Spectra V1.01 = No, will not link. (new Rx have V2.02 printed on end of box)
A9 Must be updated so as to cope with the Spectra module which must be updated to V3.01, then yes.
4. Old Tx updated, old 6ch Rx no updates - AOK, as in #5 below and the LEDsequence on linking will not be exactly as shown on latest Spectra manual - refer
AFHSS - ID_Setup (also known as Binding or Linking) & Range Test Procedure for
........Aurora 9, Spectra 2.4Ghz Module <> Optima Transceiver or Minima Receiver.
5. New Tx updated, old 6ch Rx no updates - (Spectra Module must also be updated)
This is how I run mine in sports models without any issue to date.
However, as the transceiver update does ensure a much faster reconnection in the event of anything
similar to ignition interference or of a brownout, I would personally send any older Optima 6ch used with
petrol ignition or in expensive high performance models in for the update.
New Optima 6ch do have V2.02 printed on end of the box - suggest user puts a suitable sticker or mark on
caseto identify the unit as such.

Alan T.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.