Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 06:13 AM
husker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ServoCity advertises their 9X as a 6 channel model and also a 9 channel model. if I read the add right the transmitter will only work with their respective receivers. what is up with that? Did i misunderstand?
Old 10-29-2013, 06:42 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A.T.
Small correction, only the Optima are transceivers, the Minima and Maxima do not have any telemetry features.
. Hitec Receivers

More information available Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, 9X, AFHSS 2.4Ghz Module, Transceivers_Receivers & Telemetry
- FAQ, Setups & Tips {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Telemetry is the reason I first purchased the Aurora 9 The fact that it sends the flight battery voltage and a Low Voltage Warning is the greatest feature. If I remember It even sent the warning when i first bought th Modual and 2 9 channel optimas .... What's the use of all that power and fast response 90% of Flyers don't fly anything that can use it and most don't fly well enough to care. especially most of the OLD Gezzers. and they make up the majority of the club members. I'd like to know the mean and average age of the AMA member ship.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:45 AM
wkevinm

I agree, this is confusing. I assume they mean it comes with a 6 channel RX or a 9 channel RX. However it is confusing and I may be wrong.

Quotes from the add.
This Aurora 9X system (#SC8050) is ONLY compatible with 6 Channel Receivers.
This Aurora 9X system (#SC8055) is ONLY compatible with 9 Channel Receivers

I also am confused over the following quote
"It is Hitec’s first triple protocol radio which allows selection from the G1 and G2 Adaptive Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (AFHSS) or Secure Link (SLT) 2.4GHz technologies."
Does this mean there is a TX for AFHSS and another one for SLT?

Old 10-29-2013, 07:15 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

[QUOTE=wkevinm;11649499]I agree, this is confusing. I assume they mean it comes with a 6 channel RX or a 9 channel RX. However it is confusing and I may be wrong.

Quotes from the add.
This Aurora 9X system (#SC8050) is ONLY compatible with 6 Channel Receivers.
This Aurora 9X system (#SC8055) is ONLY compatible with 9 Channel Receivers

That would be CRAP ... Lord' nobody would limit a 9 channel radio to a 6 channel receiver

I also am confused over the following quote
"It is Hitec’s first triple protocol radio which allows selection from the G1 and G2 Adaptive Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (AFHSS) or Secure Link (SLT) 2.4GHz technologies."
Does this mean there is a TX for AFHSS and another one for SLT?
Old 10-29-2013, 07:24 AM
wkevinm

In an earlier post it shows the TX are compatible with 3 modes by selection of the RX type… optima, maxima and SLT. This answers my question, should have looked further before asking the question. I assume the 6 vs 9 channel is packaging option and the TX will work with all channels…. only makes sense.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:09 AM
A.T.

Originally Posted by wkevinm
In an earlier post it shows the TX are compatible with 3 modes by selection of the RX type… optima, maxima and SLT. This answers my question, should have looked further before asking the question. I assume the 6 vs 9 channel is packaging option and the TX will work with all channels…. only makes sense.
Please refer to the 2014 catalogue for the new transmitters and receivers:

. Hitec Product Catalogue 2014

The Aurora 9X and new Flash 8 have the new protocol AFHSS2 which permits operation of the
new Maxima receivers which have a separate ID-Setup on the A9X - refer screen shots attached:
. Aurora 9X - Relevant A9X Questions & Answers on all forums to date.
copy herewith

See also the new aircraft including receiver ready Warbirds etc. within the catalogue.

Alan T.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Aurora 9X_Rx Selection.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1934420  
Old 11-03-2013, 03:57 PM
JIMF14D

Please refer to the 2014 catalogue for the new transmitters and receivers:

. Hitec Product Catalogue 2014

The Aurora 9X and new Flash 8 have the new protocol AFHSS2 which permits operation of the
new Maxima receivers which have a separate ID-Setup on the A9X - refer screen shots attached:
. Aurora 9X - Relevant A9X Questions & Answers on all forums to date.
copy herewith

See also the new aircraft including receiver ready Warbirds etc. within the catalogue.

Alan T.
As usual Alan saves us again! Folks, do not get your undies twisted over the 9X...it works great. I am flying it daily now:
It works with the normal OPTIMA RXs 6, 7, 9 channel with TM that we have used for the last 3 years or so using the "Optima/Minima" protocol. With those RXs it provides 2x the resolution and faster update rate than the A9.

It works with the new Maxima RXs using the "Maxima" protocol without TM. I have not flown this yet but have checked it out with a 9 Channel Rx. I will be flying it in a few days if the weather is good with a new 3D Hobbies Vyper 48 and digital servos. Maxima only works with digital servos. With Maxima you get 4x the resolution and update rate.
I have not tried the SLT stuff as I have no SLT planes.

What is not to love?
You have the best of three worlds with better performance. If you like TM (I love the battery downlink) just keep buying and flying the Optima RXs. If you are a hot dog heli guy (I am not....LOL) get some Maxima RX.

All of the protocols are easily selected for binding from the front display. No more pushing the module button for binding or range check. If fact NO MORE MODULE OR WIRE STICKING OUT THE BACK!

In the short time I have had my 9X I have found two minor software problems. The integrated timers do not seem to reset or work as expected. Also, if you connect your HPP-22 to the 9X to transfer the model data to or from your computer, the transfers work fine but your low TX voltage alarm will beep and your TX will display 0 volts. Hitec support told me a software update will be coming shortly.
Hey don't miss out on the free HPP-22 and 7 channel Optima RX offer which is running now at Hitec if you buy a 9x.

Keep them flying!
Jim D

PS, If you keep both A9 and 9x models in your computer, use a different model name for the 9X models before you save them to the computer or you will overwrite your A9 models and loose the ability to upload them to your A9. I added an X to my 9X models names. The A9 and A9X store and load file formats are not the same so you cannot load A9 stored models into your 9X from your computer.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Any explanation ?

Originally Posted by JIMF14D
>
>
>
With Maxima you get 4x the resolution and update rate.
>
>
>
Jim D

Jim D

I cannot see that 4x the resolution do anything about the response speed of the servos or the response speed of the model.
The model mass has not changed, the control surfaces throws have not changed.

So what has been gained in terms of flying performance to control the model?

Thanks for any explanation.

Zor
Old 11-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Originally Posted by Zor
Jim D

I cannot see that 4x the resolution do anything about the response speed of the servos or the response speed of the model.

Zor
I agree, I move the stick and the appropriate control surface moves proportionately... I am a Happy Camper..!!! Back in the day with Analog equipment, I was happy then too..!!!
Old 11-03-2013, 08:31 PM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

Are you using the new receiver's with digital high speed servos? I have done a little testing and have tested some servos for my helicopter that are 0.04. There I can see the difference between the 2 receivers....
Old 11-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Zor
Banned

Originally Posted by gjhinshaw

Are you using the new receiver's with digital high speed servos? I have done a little testing and have tested some servos for my helicopter that are 0.04. There I can see the difference between the 2 receivers....
gjhinshaw,

I imagine you are quoting 0.04 sec / 60 degrees as compared to typically 0.19 sec at 4.8 V or 0.15 sec at 6.0 Volts.

You would obviously notice some difference due to the servo speed.

What has this to do with the resolution ? With a resolution of 1024 and a full 9 channels and 9 servos the resolution is already 4.54 times faster than the servos. At a resolution of 4096 that resolution would be 163 times faster but I still do not see how the higher resolution would change the speed of the servo responding a full 60 degrees in 0.04 seconds.

I am interestd to understand more about this matter if there is anything to it.

Kowledge and understanding is part of the hobby for some of us.

Zor
Old 11-04-2013, 03:33 AM
JIMF14D

Originally Posted by Zor
gjhinshaw,

I imagine you are quoting 0.04 sec / 60 degrees as compared to typically 0.19 sec at 4.8 V or 0.15 sec at 6.0 Volts.

What has this to do with the resolution ? With a resolution of 1024 and a full 9 channels and 9 servos the resolution is already 4.54 times faster than the servos. At a resolution of 4096 that resolution would be 163 times faster but I still do not see how the higher resolution would change the speed of the servo responding a full 60 degrees in 0.04 seconds.

Zor
I did not say that resolution was an increase in servo speed.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:28 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Originally Posted by Zor
Jim D

Zor
It feels like you may be mixing resolution and latency with respect to response. In truth they are apples and oranges but the radio sees it as a fruit salad. The improved resolution gives skilled flyers with good servos the ability to adjust the servo with very small increments of movement. Instead of a big jump to the next location you can move the servo in smaller increments. The latency translates to the time that elapses from when you move the stick to when the servo moves correspondingly. By reducing the time the system 'appears' to act simultaneously as you move the sticks ... even though there is a slight delay. A good example of folks who really benefit from both reduced latency and higher resolution are the gents who fly helicopters with multiple servo inputs to the swash plate. They can actually feel the difference that the improved resolution and the reduced latency provides. A bit like moving from slightly behind the ac to slightly in front of the ac. Hope that helps.

Also, of little real value to most modelers is the marketing bragging rights. Hitec was hammered by not so knowledgeable folks for having low latency and now Hitec is leading the pack in that area. I am not affiliated with Hitec and I fly a different brand of radio but, I do use all Hitec servos.

Howard
Old 11-04-2013, 05:36 AM
JIMF14D

Originally Posted by Howard
It feels like you may be mixing resolution and latency with respect to response. In truth they are apples and oranges but the radio sees it as a fruit salad. The improved resolution gives skilled flyers with good servos the ability to adjust the servo with very small increments of movement. Instead of a big jump to the next location you can move the servo in smaller increments. The latency translates to the time that elapses from when you move the stick to when the servo moves correspondingly. By reducing the time the system 'appears' to act simultaneously as you move the sticks ... even though there is a slight delay. A good example of folks who really benefit from both reduced latency and higher resolution are the gents who fly helicopters with multiple servo inputs to the swash plate. They can actually feel the difference that the improved resolution and the reduced latency provides. A bit like moving from slightly behind the ac to slightly in front of the ac. Hope that helps.

Also, of little real value to most modelers is the marketing bragging rights. Hitec was hammered by not so knowledgeable folks for having low latency and now Hitec is leading the pack in that area. I am not affiliated with Hitec and I fly a different brand of radio but, I do use all Hitec servos.

Howard
Good input!
Jim D
Old 11-04-2013, 03:03 PM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

yes, my mistake....

Originally Posted by Zor
gjhinshaw,

Zor
Old 11-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Zor
Banned

Originally Posted by JIMF14D

I did not say that resolution was an increase in servo speed.
and I did not say that you said that.

What I am concened with is that many have brought up the matter of the Tx - Rx resolution capability.

I do not know why they bring up that subject quite often. I am trying to figure out how that fast resolution is an advantage in terms of the results in flying a model. A model cannot respond to control faster than the servo response and omce a control surface has moved there remains the inertia of the mass of the model.

Someday I will find out any advantages if there is any.

Zor
Old 11-04-2013, 04:44 PM
wkevinm

Resolution in my mind is important not for speed but for control accuracy. With 2X the resolution in theory I get 2x the number of discreet steps in a given distance. This can be important to those that need that extra level of control. I am interested since racing pylon I tend to use a higher reduced rates of servo throw, since I can only manipulate servo arm length and control surface geometry to a certain extent and then depend on reduced servo throw for the rest. This increased resolution may give me the confidence that even at reduced throws I have a decent level of resolution. IMHO
Old 11-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Blue text inserted by Zor

Originally Posted by wkevinm

Resolution in my mind is important not for speed but for control accuracy. With 2X the resolution in theory I get 2x the number of discreet steps in a given distance.

Discrete steps of the servos ? in what given distance ? the distance travelled by the attach point of the servo arm ?
This is confusing me. I have made tests with high quality digital servos making travel measurements at the 1/2 inch radius and the best servo resolution was 0.0025" and 0.003" minimum motion. That is a rotation angle of 0.2865 degree and a servo resolution of 209.5 _ _ _ far from even 1024 and 4096. I had similar results on the smallest digital trim control. _ _ _ I posted pictures of my measurements at the time.

This can be important to those that need that extra level of control. I am interested since racing pylon I tend to use a higher reduced rates of servo throw, since I can only manipulate servo arm length and control surface geometry to a certain extent and then depend on reduced servo throw for the rest. This increased resolution may give me the confidence that even at reduced throws I have a decent level of resolution. IMHO

Your reasoning makes lots of good sense but the servos are NOT able to rotate at such small angles.
For a 60 degree rotation at 1024 of resolution the angle of rotation would be 60 divided by 1024 giving us a rotation of 0.0586 degree.

For the fun, if you have a transmitter with digital trim, count the number of incremental trim you have from neutral to trim limit and look how much the control surface does rotate. Of course it depends on the radius at the servo and the radius at the horn of the control surface but you may be surprised.

Zor
Old 11-04-2013, 06:55 PM
wkevinm

Good point, now I assume the high resolution servos, (although I do not see stated resolution numbers) by Hitec are built to accommodate more of the capability of the TX and RX.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:07 PM
A.T.

" hpp-22 v1.15(1) Bug

[HR][/HR] Heads up..
"Hey guys... just wanted to give you a heads up that there is a bug in this new version on the software. Hopefully we'll have it ironed out shortly but for now, when asked if you want to upgrade to the new version just say "No."
If you have updated it then send us an email (service at hitecrcd.com) and we can send you the older version in a .zip
file. - Mike. "

Alan T.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:43 AM
JIMF14D

" hpp-22 v1.15(1) Bug

[HR][/HR] Heads up..
"Hey guys... just wanted to give you a heads up that there is a bug in this new version on the software. Hopefully we'll have it ironed out shortly but for now, when asked if you want to upgrade to the new version just say "No."
If you have updated it then send us an email (service at hitecrcd.com) and we can send you the older version in a .zip
file. - Mike. "

Alan T.
What does the bug affect? If I used it already what did I wreck in my TX? Ugh
Old 11-16-2013, 09:01 AM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Jim

Youre curiousity ( couldn,t help myself }

Michel
Old 11-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Ken Cz

I am using my A9x TX and Optima 9 RX to set up my first plane with 2 Aileron Servos on each wing.
I have them extremely close in a mechanical set up and now I want to set up my throws.
At center point and full deflection all seems well with less than .25amp draw on either servo and .01 amp draw at rest,

It appears when I enter dual rates/expo that the setting only affect the servo on the main aileron servo channel and NOT the 2nd (outboard) servo on that wing.
Demonstrated by turn rates down to 50% and getting a whole lot of noise out of both digital servos and high amp draw as they are really fighting each other.
Apparently because Master servo goes to 50% the other does not.

If I set up a P-mix, aileron servo RH wing Inboard to aileron servo RH wing outboard at 100% why this would not work? Seems to me like an easy solution to get the 2 servos synchronized.
Comments appreciated.
Ken
Old 11-20-2013, 07:14 PM
A.T.

" hpp-22 v1.15(1) Bug

[HR][/HR] Heads up..
file. - Mike. "

Alan T.
FYI: The bug in the HPP-22 software V1.15(1) is fixed. - Mike

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links[
Old 12-17-2013, 02:51 PM
ejames7699
My Feedback: (18)

I have an Aurora 9 and today I lost my 50cc Revolver, it appears I lost signal and as I tried to control the plane it seemed as if I'd loose signal momentarily and it would regain signal. I've been flying this plane for maybe 3 months at least 2-3 times a week. I have no clue as yo why this happen. Batteries were fully charged and I was using an Optima 7 reciever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.