Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 09:06 AM
zero244
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

I understand where you guys are coming from. I fly primarily three channel electric sailplanes.
The A9 is way more than I need and its my first 2.4 rig.
Ive never owned a radio above a 7C......so the A9 is a big jump.
Even if I bought a Futaba 6ex 2.4ghz......for far less, I would still have to lay out 100 dollars per receiver.
When you add it all up the A9 is still the best deal. And appears to be a solid system.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bushbarber:

I can really relate to these forums being the place to get answers, it is an extraordinary resource. I do have a question that hopefully some enterprising A9 programmer has already figured out, here is the question: When I lower flaps I slow the servo down and I program the elevator to also move down to compensate for the ballooning as the flaps are lowered and it works very well, almost impossible to tell that I am lowering the flaps unless you are looking for it. The problem I am having with the A9 is that cannot get the flap/elevator mix to slow the elevator servo while it is moving as the flaps move down/up. This is very easy to do with a JR 9303 or the 12X and I can easily do it with a Futaba 14MZ, 12Z or 12FG. I don't believe the 10C has servo slow but, I might be mistaken. So, how do you get the elevator movement that is mixed with the flap movement to also slow down during the flap down/up evolution with the A9. I have tried many different approaches with the A9, learned a bunch, but was not able to get the elevator speed to match the slowed flap speed.

I just received and installed a 2000 mah Eneloop pack with two connectors (one to plug into the TX and the other to charge without going through the diode) from Radical RC. I talked to Dave and told him what I wanted and ordered two of them, one for me and one for a flying buddy. We have three A9's in the club and a fourth waiting for his Tower backorder A9 to arrive.

Howard
Old 12-21-2009, 02:01 PM
GhostRider32

[/quote]

I'm making a point that it seems MOST features will never be used in this A9 radio, so why blow $429?

[/quote]

What does it matter to you what others spend THEIR money on. Did I miss the announcement that you and only you decide what everyone else gets to buy? For several days now all you have done is whine and complain about radios having more features than most people will ever use. Big deal. I'ts none of your business what others spend their money on. I need a 2 door car but I choose to buy a 4 door truck. Same with radios. I need a Optic 6 but I want a Aurora.

If you don't want a Aurora the get something else. No one here cares what you fly with, I just don't understand why you think it's your privelege to tell everyone what the need.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:30 PM
boothg-3

why buy an aurora , it can do anything i want now and in the future
and the price isnt that much different than what i paid for my 8u over ten years ago
Mike , my radio is still back ordered , no problem for me i can wait
how long is the offer good on the additional recievers ,the back order status is late january on the aurora
thanks
Old 12-21-2009, 03:08 PM
MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: OldRookie

MikeMayberry,

Why does the 9 channel receiver have 2 antennas, and the 7channel receiver only have one?

Greg
For redundancy; It's not a necessity.

ORIGINAL: Howard

I remember hearing this same argument during the transition from horses to the horseless carriage. Keep your buggy whips cause horses are coming back as soon as folks realize that things like AC, heaters, GPS, satellite radio and CD players are just gimmicks that you don't need.

Howard
LOL!!! You remember this? [X(]

On the elevator mix to the flap. If you use a P-mix you can adjust the speed of the slave servo. I would set it up in P-Mix 6,7, or 8 which have 7 point curves so you should be able to get it exactly how you want. I think that is something we need to add to the airbrake mode... I'll put that on the firmware upgrade list.

Mike.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: OldRookie

MikeMayberry,

Why does the 9 channel receiver have 2 antennas, and the 7channel receiver only have one?

Greg
For redundancy; It's not a necessity.

ORIGINAL: Howard

I remember hearing this same argument during the transition from horses to the horseless carriage. Keep your buggy whips cause horses are coming back as soon as folks realize that things like AC, heaters, GPS, satellite radio and CD players are just gimmicks that you don't need.

Howard
LOL!!! You remember this? [X(]

On the elevator mix to the flap. If you use a P-mix you can adjust the speed of the slave servo. I would set it up in P-Mix 6,7, or 8 which have 7 point curves so you should be able to get it exactly how you want. I think that is something we need to add to the airbrake mode... I'll put that on the firmware upgrade list.
Mike,

I will try the P mix mode (again) and see if I can make it work for me. I only want the elevator to be slow as it moves during flap/elevator mix when the flaps move up or down. In all other situations it needs to move at its regular speed. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Also, you might want to take a close look at the JR (9303/12X) flap programming screen because I really think they got this down and it is so intuitive and easy to use. The one screen lets you program flaps in three positions (up - half - full down) and all adjustable, flap servo speed can also be adjusted on the same page, and you can add elevator mix on the same page and the elevator mix speed is married to the flap speed that you choose. It can be done via switch or flight mode. I would sure like to see the A9 flap page incorporate something similar. You can do all of this on the high end Futaba radios but, it is not nearly as easy or intuitive as the JR. Take a look and see what you think.

Howard

Old 12-21-2009, 03:29 PM
g_mkoch

Hello Mike

I have a question will Hitec eventually come out with receivers that can handle high currents like JR's 9100. I plan to buy my first gasser (probably 50cc) at the end of next year and since I'm a big fun of bipes it translates that I'll need as much as7 high torque servos. With all the features of the Aurora there is no need for an extra device like a power expander except for power management. I'm sure Hitec can come up with a 9 ch receiver for high current, dual battery imputs, etc for $200 or less.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:34 PM
griesel

Hello Mike:
I still cannot get the throttle cut to work. Also Rick Chitti, whom you might know,
tried and he failed also. We need explicit details of what the settings are.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:00 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: g_mkoch Hello Mike I have a question will Hitec eventually come out with receivers that can handle high currents like JR's 9100. I plan to buy my first gasser (probably 50cc) at the end of next year and since I'm a big fun of bipes it translates that I'll need as much as7 high torque servos. With all the features of the Aurora there is no need for an extra device like a power expander except for power management. I'm sure Hitec can come up with a 9 ch receiver for high current, dual battery imputs, etc for $200 or less.
How much current do you envisage will be required? Would have happily installed an exisiting 9ch Optima in a 126" 105cc twin Quadrapowered scale Fletcher FU-24-AOK to replaceinstalled single HFD_08RD Supreme withdual batteries/switch harnesses. (model recently sold)
Optima RX - Multiple batteries may be installed Dual batteries for redundancy or even one for each servo.
Aurora A9 Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips, (includes Spectra Pro and Optima RX features) . {frequently updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 12-21-2009, 07:26 PM
aa2dd

Hi Mike

With all the waiting for back orders, is Hitec going to honor the coupon offer for two receivers for $39bux? If people are unable to get the radio in time, because of supply problems, will they be refused the offer?

aa2dd
Bruce
Old 12-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: aa2dd

Hi Mike

With all the waiting for back orders, is Hitec going to honor the coupon offer for two receivers for $39bux? If people are unable to get the radio in time, because of supply problems, will they be refused the offer?

aa2dd
Bruce
I have the same concern...but I just checked the advetirement and it is good until March 31, 2010, so we should have them by then...I HOPE..!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 07:36 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: aa2dd Hi Mike With all the waiting for back orders, is Hitec going to honor the coupon offer for two receivers for $39bux? If people are unable to get the radio in time, because of supply problems, will they be refused the offer? aa2dd Bruce
Yesterday's Q&A Hitec will make every effort to make our customers happy. But again... we're still 100+ days away from the deadline. So, we'll cross that bridge if/when we come to it. Unfortunately, the "large" amount of Aurora's we shipped didn't fill the "HUGE" amount of back orders. Mike. "

Regards
Alan T.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Gungadin

I know the coupon deal when you buy the 7CH RX'R version. But what is the deal when you buy the 9CH version. Do you send in the coupon for a 9CH RX'R or is it the 7CH RX'R again ?
Old 12-21-2009, 08:18 PM
MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: griesel

Hello Mike:
I still cannot get the throttle cut to work. Also Rick Chitti, whom you might know,
tried and he failed also. We need explicit details of what the settings are.
switch: I like to use H (momentary) Set "On" (bottom) so it's activated when pulled.

adjust to trim:Act

Cut position: Move throttle 25% and hit set. Tap lower "off" setting and turn to "on." This only allows it to work if the throttle is below 25%. Use whatever setting you here... 2% is the minimum.

Rate: leave this since you have adjust to trim activated.

Now... pull the switch (and hold it) and use the throttle trim to to set it. Keep moving the trim until the engine dies.

Then... when you let go of the momentary switch it will go back to the original idle setting. Adjust to trim allows you to fine tune the adjustment instead of having to go back in the programming screen to set "Rate."

Tip: The Idle Down function is programmed in a similar way and is useful if you want two idle setting with the flip of a switch.

Tell, Rick I'm going to quiz him when I see him at the Arizona Electric Festival in January!

Mike.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:58 PM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

Flew My Jet Turbine today with the Aurora 9. WOW..... It was BETTER than my JR 2.4 I use to have!! No problems at ALL!!!!! Need some 9 ch. receivers NOW!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:36 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

So... blow $429.99? I'd say you'd be blowing $479.99 on a 7C (or similar) with (3) RX's considering you can have an Aurora with (3) Rx's for a similar price. Why not have something that gives you headroom to grow with and should be the last radio you'll need for a very long time?

Mike.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTZU7&P=ML

$199, same price as an Optic 6. Big bonus, it's in stock. Barney Fife here on the Hitec channel thinks Hitec is the only radio option out there.

ORIGINAL: redkav

I use the Airtronics RDS 8000 AND the new SD-10G. Both have many features (more than many people will ever need), are easy to program, and provide the best value on the market. The guys at Airtronics are very responsive and a pleasure to deal with.
Products are in stock.

ORIGINAL: rc-sport

The A9 may be a good radio but my past bad experience with Hitec keeps me from using any of their products.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:49 PM
rambler53

ORIGINAL: A.T.

Coupon?

"We'll cross that bridge if/when we come to it."

Regards
Alan T.
That's a phrase well known also as "No way Jose." When the coupon expires, it expires.
No real date the radio will be in stock? Sounds like Hitec spread themselves too thin for European markets, buying out Multiplex and all.
This shows the growing pains from their paltry sales in earlier models.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:08 PM
daleflysrc
My Feedback: (26)

Have just skipped thru the post and was wondering ??? Has anyone compared the Aurora to the Airtronics SD-10G Hobby people has it and 2 recievers for a fair price !! Compare like in Apples to Apples, Oranges to Oranges !!
Old 12-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

I purchased the Aurora because it provided features and ease of programming for things that I *wanted to do with my JR 9303* and could not.  If someone is looking for a four channel radio to do four channel sophistication, then this radio offers more than you could ever want or need.

BUT - if you are flying 9 servo'd 35% Biplanes and you want to make it more enjoyable to fly, easier to trim, and easier to change,

THEN - this radio with all it's assignable features, flight modes, and flexibility becomes an EXCEPTIONAL bargain that doesn't have a peer in the market or price point.

It's almost like other things in life....if you have to ask what all it does for you that makes it valuable, perhaps you don't really need it.

But if you know the questions...... this radio truly SHINES with the answers it affords.  And that's a fact.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:21 PM
rambler53

ORIGINAL: daleflysrc

Have just skipped thru the post and was wondering ??? Has anyone compared the Aurora to the Airtronics SG-10 Hobby people has it and 2 recievers for a fair price !! Compare like in Apples to Apples, Oranges to Oranges !!
That's an excellent question! With it in stock, the Tower deal is unbeatable!

I guess Hitec sales reps can boast backlit display, rx low battery warning, touch screen, anti-lock brakes, and undercoating.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Bob Pastorello

I'm curious now, nitro-pilot....are you railing against the capabilities and features of the Hitec Aurora 9 because you see no benefit in them, and therefore, they are of no benefit to ANYONE ? Or is it more that since you perhaps are incapable of utilizing the benefits and understanding their usefulness, that it therefore disqualifies the radio to find favor in your opinion?

I would like to know, just out of idle curiousity why you so incessantly berate this product when you seemingly have no interest in either obtaining one, or trying to understand it's benefits? What is the logic behind your rantings?? What is the benefit to you to create such bandwidth "noise" in a thread that is intended to provide insights for those seeking this radio, or using it???

Any helpful insights here, or is your purpose just to trigger inquiries like this to stimulate further drivel from your keyboard???
Old 12-21-2009, 10:35 PM
rambler53

I see no benefit to them. Feel better now? I'm not alone. You could save the personal attacks for your wife.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Bob Pastorello

Yes, actually!!!

Thank you.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Bob Pastorello

ORIGINAL: nitro-pilot

I see no benefit to them. Feel better now? I'm not alone. You could save the personal attacks for your wife.
Gosh darn-it....now you've gone and hurt my feelings. Shame on you.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:54 PM
RR24

nito-pilot just likes to stir the pot[sm=spinnyeyes.gif], must be bored and have nothing better to do[:'(]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.