Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 8 of 199 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

OH, boy....now comes the glut of Futaba 9C's and JR9303's on RCU....and just in time for a pre-Christmas gift-to-self. Congrats, Mike. That radio looks like you've taken all the stuff learned over many years and finally put it into one box....can't wait to get mine.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So, has anyone been able to touch one of these yet? I did read a review in Fly RC. Of course nothing negative to report. Would like to hear from joe blow, jhonny punchclock for an honest assesment.
    \"let\'\'\'\'s just say, they will be satisfied with less\" Ming the Merciless

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone get one yet?
    Tiger 2 brotherhood #14
    The Common flyer, best of the lousiest, and lousiest of the best.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, I do. What would you like to know?

I got mine yesterday with a 7 channel receiver. I hope to fly it this weekend.

TF

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Where'd you get it from, Tom??? I'm still waiting for notification of availability.
    I hope you're gonna test in a big gasser, right????????
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rctom

Yes, I do. What would you like to know?
    TF
    If I should get one I am looking for intial reports from consumers on problems and or first thoughts.

Jon
    Tiger 2 brotherhood #14

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tom, I am really interested in your opinion on this radio, cause your opinion is of great value to me. And since you have a 12FG, you should be able to give some decent comparisons. So as time goes by and you have a chance to fly it for a while, how about posting some of your impressions for us ???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello

Where'd you get it from, Tom??? *I'm still waiting for notification of availability.
    I hope you're gonna test in a big gasser, right????????
    I am a dealer for Global Hobby. I ordered one several months ago. If you want one you can order it from me at a better price. $409 with the 7 channel receiver or $439 with the 9 channel.

As I understand it there will be more in with the 9 channel rx next month.

I will try to post more info as it becomes available.

TF

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Gungadin

Tom, I am really interested in your opinion on this radio, cause your opinion is of great value to me. And since you have a 12FG, you should be able to give some decent comparisons. So as time goes by and you have a chance to fly it for a while, how about posting some of your impressions for us ???
    OK Today I was able to finish the installation in a plane and get in a flight. The flight went smoothly and this was a valuable exercise. I learned some things that I probably would never have found just playing in my workshop.

I put it in a 30cc Edge that's set up like a larger plane, 2 elevators servos, 2 aileron servos, rudder throttle and a choke servo.

First, I've decided I like the 7 channel receiver after all. Its long thin shape makes it very easy to mount and the single antenna with the gizzy on the end (don't know what that thing is yet) was easy to stick up with some velcro. At first I didn't like the layout, but after I thought about it for a few minutes I connected the two elevator servos to the rear ports (channels 6 and 7) and everything else in the front. It makes the wiring not so messy.

I also figured out how to get power into it. Normally I put a short extension on each aileron channel so there is a convenient place to plug in. In this case instead of using a short extension I use a short "Y" cable on each one which gave me two extra ports to plug in power. This worked out real slick with the Smart-Fly super switch and a single A123 pack.

Speaking of power, I opened up the receiver to get a look at the internals. The power busses are the largest I have seen, pretty much solid copper, power on one side and ground plane on the other. If you can get power into the bus I am quite sure there will be no losses internally.

There was nothing else remarkable about the installation. I stuck the receiver down with Velcro, everything was quite uneventful.

Setting up the transmitter was the easiest and fastest that I have ever had, and this was the first time. All the menus are obvious and pretty much self explanatory. Next time I can just copy and rename this model.

A note about channels. This radio has a setup much like to Futaba 12FG, you just decide what channel is to do what by assigning a name to it such as AILE or ELEV from a list. To do two aileron servos just name 2 channels AILE, no mixing is required. Trims work, dual rate and expos refer to the servos as a group, and you can set up reversing, center and end points all on a channel by channel basis. It is elegant in its simplicity!

I decided to set up a 4 servo wing, something that can't be done with a JR X9303. It took me literally 30 seconds, I just changed the name of the last two channels to AILE and everything worked "as slick as deer guts on a doorknob" to quote a good (but disgustingly graphic) friend.

Range checking (in power down mode) went twice as far as the manual says and I got tired of walking. Also I was facing away from the plane with my body between the plane and the transmitter, it never showed the slightest sign of a lag or glitch. That has been my experience with Futaba also, but my JR/Spektrum stuff and also the Airtronics SD-10G were not able to match this performance, with them I always have to be facing the plane to get a decent range check.

The radio is fast, really fast. If you have fast servos expect them to move with the stick, even if you let the stick bounce to and from by letting go of it. The "boinging" stick will be matched by "boinging" surfaces.

Speaking of sticks, they are quite smooth with 8 ball bearings.

I discovered that the rubber finger pads on the back have a function. I usually fly with a neck strap, but today I didn't use it and I was glad they put the finger grips on the back. Even though they feel thick they give a secure finger hold. I also figured out that if you want a thinner radio you can just pull these pads off, they are removable to access the spring tension adjusters.

I did find one thing I don't like. When the engine idle-down is active the throttle trim doesn't work. And when you have throttle cut active the throttle doesn't work at all. The latter thing is no big deal, but on the idle down I would like to be able to adjust the low idle speed. Every radio I have used has some type of bizarre behavior on the idle-down, the Aurora is just one in a long list of radios that try to do this and mess it up. A very minor issue, I honestly don't need a high idle, the trim works fine for me.

I have to say I like this radio a lot and I plan to keep it as my primary. I love my 12FG but have only occasional need for its complexity, even less so now. It's there if I need more than 9 channels, but that doesn't happen very often. The A9 (my new name because Aurora 9 is too hard to say and type) is just what I needed. And the telemetry works just fine, no more need to voltage check the plane's power. Just look at the screen on the transmitter.

I have to say that Hitec has moved radio technology forward. Good job guys.

TF

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks a lot for the report, please keep us informed on any more likes and dislikes.
    Tiger 2 brotherhood #14

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tom, very good report, lots of good details in operational stuff of interest. Thanks for doing that.
    One question - on the elevators - could you tell if there is any lag, or do they move in tandem as if clocked at the same time? I think this is something that is supposed to be happening...
    The four aileron mode is really great news. Sounds like the software is very intelligent in setting up things "normal" based on what you call things... that will be a real help.

On the throttle idle up/cut business.....is the throttle trim fast enough to just use it without going through the idle up/down hoopla??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This radio is looking better and better. I think it will be the perfect radio for a high performance electric glider with flaps, air brakes and spoilers. Programming reflex and camber should easy.
    a never-ending battle for truth, justice and the American way

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello

Tom, very good report, lots of good details in operational stuff of interest.* Thanks for doing that.
    One question - on the elevators - could you tell if there is any lag, or do they move in tandem as if clocked at the same time?* I think this is something that is supposed to be happening...
    The four aileron mode is really great news.* Sounds like the software is very intelligent in setting up things ''normal'' based on what you call things... that will be a real help.

On the throttle idle up/cut business.....is the throttle trim fast enough to just use it without going through the idle up/down hoopla??
    The elevators seem locked together, I saw no variation at all. Speed will not be a problem with this radio.

On the idle-down, I ended up just reversing things and using idle up active as the low speed and idle down as high speed. This allowed me to trim the idle in low speed, I saw no compelling need to trim it at high idle.

Yes the trims are fast enough if you just want to do a manual trim.

TF

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

TomThanks very much for your report. I knew we all could count on you. Your experience with numerous other brands of radio's is valuable to a guy like me. So far this radio sounds very good. I'm interested in your opinion after you fly it a few times. I played with this TX a little at the Toledo Show last April and I really liked the feel of it. Hope we here from you again after you get some stick time with it. Thanks again.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tom,

Good work on the review. You brought out several things that hadn't been discussed yet.

Thanks,

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am waiting on mineAurora9, 9Ch,HobbytownUSA told me that they will be available after Nov 5 2009
    www.ch-ignitions.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My A9 just arrived and my first impression is extremely positive. If appearances, feel and a real sense of quality are an indicator, then this radio is going to compete with others at much higher prices. I will install the receiver in a GP RV-4 arf this afternoon and report back. Those of you who have the radio please check to see what battery is installed. I was told that the radio would ship with a 2000 mah Eneloop battery and mine arrived with just a standard Nimh 1300 mah pack. Thanks

Howard
    If you want to be politically correct, try lying.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Howard

My A9 just arrived and my first impression is extremely positive. If appearances, feel and a real sense of quality are an indicator, then this radio is going to compete with others at much higher prices. I will install the receiver in a GP RV-4 arf this afternoon and report back. Those of you who have the radio please check to see what battery is installed. I was told that the radio would ship with a 2000 mah Eneloop battery and mine arrived with just a standard Nimh 1300 mah pack. Thanks

Howard
    Yeah, mine came with the 1300mah battery also. I have ordered an eneloop pack from batteriesamerica.com.

Also I have an observation that Mike should know about.

I discovered a very neat feature, the ability to trim certain mixes in-flight. On the pre-programmed mixes such as rudder>ailerons you can assign a slider or a trim switch that allows the pilot to make adjustments to the amount of mixing while flying. This is a VERY COOL feature, it saves a lot of time when trimming a plane.

When setting up a giant scale aerobat the first thing the pilot wants to do is to trim it for neutral knife edge. Just about every plane has some type of coupling in knife edge, pulling one way or another and rolling one way or the other. Adjusting one's plane to do one hand knife edge passes is time consuming and tedious.

This new feature would solve this problem, but there is one shortcoming as far as I can tell. Maybe I just haven't found it, but in-flight mix rate adjustment is not available on the programmable mixes, and there is no rudder>elevator pre-programmed mix which is the other half of the knife-edge mixing equation.

I am asking Mike to please have the developers add the feature of rudder>elevator mixing (with mixing adjustment feature like rudder>ail) to satisfy aerobat customers, and/or to add this in-flight mix adjustment feature to the p-mixes. Either action would solve the problem, doing both would really make this already excellent radio a lot better.

I think adding it to the p-mixes would solve a lot of problems for other aircraft types as well. I can see any number of situations where a mix is required but exactly how much is needed is unknown, also the amount needed may change throughout the flight. For example one may have a mix to add a little elevator when flaps are lowered, and that mix amount might change based on how much fuel has been burned. Wouldn't it be nice to have a trim or slider to adjust that mix quickly?

Tom Fawcett

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tom - And ALLthe Aerobatic pilots said "AMEN!!!!!!!" Knife Edge mixing is SO fundamental. SO if it isn't dedicated....will the "normal" p-mixes in the A9 appropriately mix master (rudder) to ALLchannels that have been labeled "Aileron" or "Elevator".... that would be important to note.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, I checked that. If you have two channels named AILE and mix rudder to one channel the other one goes along with it. It's not necessary to use 2 mixes.

TF

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Howard

Howard
    Hey look at page 13 in your manaul it two says 2000mAh not 1300mAh

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Deleted - post duplicated #198.
    R/C hobby consultant for various companies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TOM RINK
    ORIGINAL: Howard My A9 just arrived and my first impression is extremely positive. If appearances, feel and a real sense of quality are an indicator, then this radio is going to compete with others at much higher prices. I will install the receiver in a GP RV-4 arf this afternoon and report back. Those of you who have the radio please check to see what battery is installed. I was told that the radio would ship with a 2000 mah Eneloop battery and mine arrived with just a standard Nimh 1300 mah pack. Thanks Howard
    Hey look at page 13 in your manaul it two says 2000mAh not 1300mAh
    "Unfortunately, that was a mistake. There are plans to go to these in the future but currently the Aurora's are shipping with 1300Mah packs. Sorry guys, I just post what I think (hope) to be factual and then come to find out something different. I apologize about this as I had posted they will come with 2000's. ."
    Full post by Mike
    Aurora A9 Fast FieldCharge

Regards
    Alan T.
    Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
    [/quote]
    R/C hobby consultant for various companies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've had my Aurora for a couple of weeks. Really like the looks and feel of it. Very easy to set up. Haven't had a chance to get it in the air yet. I've had the radio on for over three hours messing around with it and there is still Tx pack capacity left. Not all of that was in the transmit mode though. I will never need any more pack capacity than that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

so what field charger and cables do I need for the Aurora 9?
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #3.
    Ya know, a cat is longer from head to tail than from tail to head.

Page 8 of 199 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast