Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Old 05-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

That looks like a great radio, and I like that some of the recievers are affordable ( I am still on a very tight budget).  A question which you can ignore if it is too off topic, I have heard that one nice thing about 2.4 is the ability to send and receive information, such as flight info, tact etc.  is that going to be an option on this model or some models in the future?

Thanks

Jon

Old 05-22-2009, 02:35 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well considering it's virtually impossible to sell 72mhz anymore I guess its something that we'll have to deal with. Our technolgy should provide the best chance for success though... time will tell. So you can't fly 2.4 in the basin without having issues? Are some brands more prone to problems than others?

johnkoppisch- The problem with that is then you are limited to the mode you can configurethe radioin so you have to make specific versions for each part of the world.

IJAA- Like I said, you can have triple rates (3 position switch) on two surfaces. The flight conditions are switch assignable and allow you to combine many different features like D/R, Expo, mixing and more per the condition. You can program each setting individually, if you want them to be different per condition then select the "S" (single) option when setting them or if they will be the same in other conditions select "C" (combined) when you set them. This radio is very functionable giving the user many different methods to do what they want.

tadawson- Isimply don't know since it has not been tested.

A Beancourt- The gimbles were designed from the ground up specifically for this radio. Each hasfour bearings (two per axis,) they are one of the best features of the Aurora..." They're like butter!" They are fully adjustble through the back of the case for spring tension and ratched, as well as mode selectablity.

Minnreefer- Hitec's 2.4ghz technology does provide two-way comunication. The basic feature is low battery warning which is an audible beeping from the module if your receiver battery is getting low. This is included in all the sytems including the ones that can be used with the Optic or Eclipse. The Aurora has the capability to capture data in realtime (ordownload)so in the future you will be able to have sensors on board the model which could read back things like temp, RPM, speed, GPS, votage, fuel level etc... look at what Eagle Tree has for this to get an idea of this capability. This isn't just for the Aurora. The modulefor the Optic/Eclipse,while not in realtime, will still be able to log this data and then you can download it into a PC. There's a picture of the demo we did at a show here to give you an idea of what you can expect: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2405368

Thanks for all the questions guys... I'm happy to help!

Mike.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:54 AM
draftman1

This looks like an awesome radio. I love my futaba but I am ready to upgrade, I need more features and model memory.  I see that it has 30 model memory and that is alot but is there provisions to have an SD slot in it?   that would be a great upgrade.  The reciver cost is a big thing for me. The futaba reciever is 100.00 and tht really limits me, If you have a 4 channel park flyer type for less than 50.00 and a regular 4 or 5 or 6 channel regular reciever for less than 70 bucks you will attract alot more sales. I sure would be ready to jump ship and go aurora
Old 05-23-2009, 11:17 AM
MikeMayberry

No SD Card, but you will be able to save your model data to a PC with the HPP-22 interface, and upload/download setups with other users as well.

The first batch of receivers will all have telemetry capability and will sell for: $49.99 (6Ch), $69.99 (7Ch) and $99.99 (9Ch.)   

For more info download the 2009 catalog here: http://www.hitecrcd.com/2009_Hitec_Catalog.pdf

Exclusive Aurora radio website here: http://hitecaurora.com/

Mike. 

Old 05-26-2009, 03:56 PM
turboayuso

Mike, just one question about the telemetry, please.

For those of us who are planning on using
the Spectra module with other brand radios (T9CP in my case):

It's going to be any
device that you can plug to the Spectra module and read the telemetry data on real time (such as Jeti Box)?
Old 05-26-2009, 04:08 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Mike - I saw somewhere that switches AND trims are assignable. If that's the case, one could assign cross trims, right? that would be superb.. I know that you said you saw no mention of "cross trims" as such, but if they are truly assignable, it ought to be possible.

Good luck with this one, sounds like a nice product!
Old 05-26-2009, 09:25 PM
MikeMayberry

If using the Hitec Spectra 2.4 module and Optima RX in any analog radio you will not be able to get real time telemetry; you will have to download the data to the PC with the HPP-22 and review it later. You will only be able to get real time data with the Aurora. Be aware though that the sensors and sensor station will not be available until a later date. I'll know more about this after I get back from our annual RnD meeting in Korea next week.

It's not the standard trims but the rocker switches in the center that allow you to trim some of of the mixing features that the literature was referring to... Sorry!

Mike

Old 05-31-2009, 08:31 AM
sergio costa

Hello MikeMayberry my first radio was a 7-channel HITEC and liked it very much.
I wanted to test the HITEC aurora 9 with telemetry in my aircraft gas
But it seems that it is too early .
version
now I know some will say ifversion for europe or are all the same?
and that potenciade trasmiçao have?

sergio costa
portugal
Old 06-04-2009, 08:47 AM
spoiler-man

Hey Mike how about giving us some info on Brandon's setup, is he using a power expander, servos, etc. I have a 40% WH Extra that I would like to use the Aurora 9 in. Thanks Kenny Colson
Old 06-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Minnreefer

I know that this is a bit far fetched, but is all the product made in Korea?  My friend half joked when he said that South Korea may not be around in a few years, and it did become a little concern for me.

Jon
Old 06-10-2009, 11:06 AM
stevext

Hi
Can you tell us the planned united kingdom release date as i'd like to change my existing 35mhz set and like the look of this unit,any idea on the uk retail price?.

many thanks

stevext
Old 06-10-2009, 03:34 PM
MikeMayberry

sergio- The European version is the same.

spoiler-man- I don't know all the details. Brandon normally posts on FG's. I'll ask him about it.

Minnreefer- OMG! I think the last part of your screen name may be taking its toll!

stevext- I don't know for sure... check with Amerang.

Mike.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Meyer1811

Mike,

The city park where Ifly has at least one2 .4GHz dead zone (an area where people using 2.4Ghz transmitters sometimes loose contact with there planes - has happened to me with my Spektrum several times). For that reason some folks have gone back to 73MHz. The Spectrum folks often have the problem, but then 99% of the 2.4GHz transmitters at this location are Spektrum.

When I encounter this problem, for example, my transmitter/receiver take 3 to 5 seconds to sync back up.

In your testing, have you encountered this type of problem and if so, how long does it take for the Aurora to sync back up?

Thanks,

John

Old 06-11-2009, 09:58 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Meyer1811

Mike,

The city park where Ifly has at least one2 .4GHz dead zone (an area where people using 2.4Ghz transmitters sometimes loose contact with there planes - has happened to me with my Spektrum several times). For that reason some folks have gone back to 73MHz. The Spectrum folks often have the problem, but then 99% of the 2.4GHz transmitters at this location are Spektrum.

When I encounter this problem, for example, my transmitter/receiver take 3 to 5 seconds to sync back up.

In your testing, have you encountered this type of problem and if so, how long does it take for the Aurora to sync back up?

Thanks,

John

I'm sure you'd rather have Mike Mayberry answer this question in-depth, but I wouldn't worry too much about the Hitec 2.4Ghz systems having the same problems that Spektrum DSM has exhibited.

Pilots at the clubs I fly at have suffered through Spektrum's receiver "brown out" problems and dangerously slow re-synching resulting in plenty of crashes. Pilots who fly JR/Spektrum and are careful with making sure their receivers have "quick link" firmware updates and use high capacity 6v receiver batteries and/or backup capacitors don't have the same issues.

The same fields have caused no particular problems for Futaba or Airtronics 2.4Ghz radio systems. Spektrum DSM/DSM2 issues have been unique and product specific. Every other radio manufacturer who has come to market after Spektrum has learned from Spektrum's mistakes. I can't imagine that Hitec will be any different, and I'm looking forward to reading about user experiences with new product line.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:16 AM
pminnick
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Mike,

Do you have a product # for the Spectra Pro module? I couldn't find it anywhere.  I am trying to make sure my hobby shop orders the right stuff.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 06-11-2009, 10:57 AM
nzak

Mike,

I know you are getting tons of questions on the new aurora, but I wanted to squeeze one in if I may.
Does the servo slow feature require a digital servo or will a standard analog servo work?

Thanks in advance,
Nick
Old 06-11-2009, 11:08 AM
w0mbat

Well, it looks like a nice radio with a lot of features...... I just wish they would have included a goat with it.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:15 PM
tadawson

I can't imagine that it would matter - the radio has no idea what kind of servo it is driving, and all servos get the exact same signal - the only difference between analog and digital is between the servo amp, it's feedback pot, and the motor.

- Tim

ORIGINAL: nzak

Mike,

I know you are getting tons of questions on the new aurora, but I wanted to squeeze one in if I may.
Does the servo slow feature require a digital servo or will a standard analog servo work?

Thanks in advance,
Nick
Old 06-11-2009, 05:24 PM
nzak

Cool. Thanks Tad!! Now if I could just get a hold of one!!!
Old 06-12-2009, 02:48 PM
MikeMayberry

Myer1811- A brown out situation is different then losing power so the relink time can vary as per the longevity of the voltage drop.

Our system has two different modes which each link a little differently. In Standard mode (default) the module uses any 20 channels and the link time varies at the first start up (up to 2 seconds) but after that it links in < 1sec. If you turn off power to the TX or RX it will relink almost imediately. In Scan Mode... when you turn the TXon it scans for the best 20 channels to hop within so it takes a little longer to bind initially (up to 5 seconds) This is what we use at large events when there are a lot of 2.4ghz radios in use. The drawback to this mode is that it has to have both the TX and RX turned off and back on to rebind. This is a bummer when swapping out poer batteries in an electric model. Remember a brown out is a different issue and it is unlikely that you would turn your Tx or RX off in flight. Scan mode is ultimately safer in an ultra crowded environment but standard mode has worked justfine for us, even with dozens of other 2.4g radio on at the same time.

pminnick- I don't have the # for the Spectra Pro module at this time.

nzak- No, the speed function will slow down any type of servo.

Mike.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:11 PM
nzak

Thanks for the information Mike, can't wait to get my hands on one!!

Nick

Mike, congrats on post #3000 also

Old 06-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Meyer1811

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

Iexpected that scan mode would take more time (only makes sense). But it is good to hear that the resync time is short.

Two other questions:

Are the Aurora receivers all considered full range (I have no idea why Spektrum has short range receivers like the 6100)?

Does the Aurora support a model memory match as the Spektrum DX7 does (such that each receiver is bound to a specific model number - eg #7, T-28)? The idea being that your transmitter must be set to the correct model in order to prevent an error in selecting the correct transmitter memory for the aircraft you are planning to fly?

Thanks again,

John
Old 06-15-2009, 01:23 PM
MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: Meyer1811

Are the Aurora receivers all considered full range (I have no idea why Spektrum has short range receivers like the 6100)?

Does the Aurora support a model memory match as the Spektrum DX7 does (such that each receiver is bound to a specific model number - eg #7, T-28)?
Yes, all our 2.4Ghz receivers will be full range.

Sorry no.

Mike.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:51 PM
nzak

HA! There it is.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:53 PM
TailTouch
My Feedback: (54)

Cool looking radio with nice features.
Spektrum will be forced to up their game and come up with a DX9 or DX10

Frankly the JR radios have started looking older next to Futaba's radios.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.