Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Hows everyone getting along with their 3 cell lipo in their TX's ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hows everyone getting along with their 3 cell lipo in their TX's ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 02:34 PM
SunnyFlyer09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hows everyone getting along with their 3 cell lipo in their TX's ?

I have a Hitec Eclipse 7 and sent an email to Hitec about the usage...here's what I got from them:

"Hello Sir,
Thank you for choosing Hitec products. We do not recommend using Lipo batteries in the Eclipse radios. You run the risk of burning the radio up, due to extremely high voltage of a fully charged lipo. If you are looking for more flight time from your radio, I recommend the 1600mAH NiMH battery. P/N 54114: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFRT5&P=7
Thank you,
Billy Tompkins
Customer Service Rep.
Hitec RCD, LLC
Phone (858) 748- 8440
Fax (858) 859-2618"

I thought I read in the past that guys were using lipos in the Eclipse with no issues......an I missing something?

ALSO, asked Airtronics the same question about my RDS 8000 and was told go for it, no probs at all.

NOW I'M CONFUSED....TELL ME YOUR EXPERIENCE !!

Old 02-25-2009, 04:00 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hows everyone getting along with their 3 cell lipo in their TX's ?

I am using 3cell LiPos in my XP9303. It is the Voltage Regulator, in the Tx, that may overheat. There is some risk. Some are using A123 cells in their Tx, instead. I have not had a problem and the battery manufacturers still recommend LiPos for most Tx's, but they are not on the hook for a new radio, either, unless someone sues them when there is a problem.

If you are worried, you could use them at a lower voltage, after charging or find a voltage regulator that will fit in the case.

I suppose the Tx's could have been manufactured with different voltage regulators to begin with. Don't know why unless it had to do with Cost or fear of LiPo fire, etc.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:47 PM
skeeter_ca

I don't understand the added benefit of using a lipo as opposed to the NiCd's in a Tx. If using the NiCd you can get a higher Mah that still fits in the case and gives you alot longer flight time than the original battery. With a lipo you have to remove it every time to charge. Is there some greater advantage to lipos over NiCds?

skeeter
Old 02-25-2009, 11:08 PM
BuschBarber

LiPos hold their charge longer and charge faster. That is enough for me. I am tired of NiMh false peaking and losing it's charge over several days. My LiPos are Rock Solid. Charging for one hour, every 3 weeks, in the summer, is great. You can leave it all winter and top it off in the spring and go fly.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:56 PM
bjor

I recently moved to a 3 cell lipo after reading about all the advantages of using them in a Transmitter. I was really worried about the higher peak voltage of the lipo when fully charged and skeptical of the benefits. I've instead decided to discharge the lipo's to 11.5 V before using them in the DX7. This is about the peak voltage of NiHM when pulled off a fresh charge. I now have about 3 hours flying on my transmitter and after a week with it not being used it's still 11.5 volts. Before I used to get about 2 hours and recharge before every flying day or when not used after a week.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:01 AM
skeeter_ca

So do you just moniter the voltage on the Tx screen and when it starts to get low charge it and how low can you fly it before worrying about needing to charge it when you get home.

skeeter
Old 02-26-2009, 01:33 AM
bjor

Yep. At the moment I'm just monitoring it on the DX7 Screen. I know that in my electric planes I fly with 3 cell lipos, they fall to around 10.7 Volts. I guess when the lipo reads around 10.9 to 11V I'll recheck it. Based on current use that could well be in excess of 16 hours flying - thats weeks worth for me.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:14 AM
freeair

i would not take the risk of useing a lipo barrey in an expensive transmitter, as we know these batteries can explode and image what happens to the tx. i run 2000 mah nimh packs in my tx,s and find i can fly all day if i want without a low voltage, so why bother with lipos in the tranny.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:03 AM
BuschBarber

I agree there is a risk wherever you put LiPo batteries. In Electric aircraft, it is almost always Damage due to Crash, or Improper Charging.

I charge my LiPo Tx batteries outside of the Tx. If I were to drop one in the process, I probably would not put it back in the Tx.

Used properly, I think the benefits outweigh the risks.

Another option is to use A123 cells. Even less risk and they can take a beating at the charger.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:14 PM
GhostRider32

Sanyo Eneloop or similar low self discharge nimhs are incredible. As a test I fully charged my pack then left my transmitter on. It took 11 hours and 37 minutes for the 8u transmitter to finally go to the low battery warning, to each his own but with these new nimhs that don't self discharge, I'll leave the lipo's for planes.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Skarn

ORIGINAL: freeair

i would not take the risk of useing a lipo barrey in an expensive transmitter, as we know these batteries can explode and image what happens to the tx. i run 2000 mah nimh packs in my tx,s and find i can fly all day if i want without a low voltage, so why bother with lipos in the tranny.
Bro, I believe the risk of a fire is sooooo overblown it's crazy. Have you EVER seen a lipo explode from NORMAL use? Have you EVER seen or heard of a lipo exploding during NORMAL use? Every video or story I have EVER seen or heard of about a lipo fire was due to improper charging/discharging.

You have lipo's in your laptops and cellphones.....ever hear of them exploding?

I've used one in my transmitter since summer....and have only had to charge the battery once! Now admitteldy, I don't fly everyday or even every weekend.

Skarn
Old 02-26-2009, 07:48 PM
GhostRider32

I don't see the fire issue as that big of a deal as long as you charge correctly. My reasoning is why put a lipo in the transmitter that you can possibly kill by leaving the transmitter on when you can now buy low discharge nimhs that have near the same capacity and now have nearly the same energy retention without the possibility of killing it? To each his own I guess.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:38 PM
skeeter_ca

If you leave a Tx on does it draw the same power as if you were moving the sticks like you were flying.

What lipo's or NiMh sizes do you use?

Can you use the standard charger that came with the Tx for the NiMh?

Skeeter
Old 02-26-2009, 09:56 PM
BuschBarber

LiPos require a charger designed specifically for Lithium batteries. Most Lithium batteries have Balancing Taps on them to improve Performance and extend the life of the battery. I use an FMA CellPro 4S which has an LCD display and shows the voltage of each cell. You can also charge A123 cells with this charger. The Triton line of chargers will charge NiCad, NiMh, and LiPos. A standard WallWort charger that comes with your radio will not work with Lithiums.

I fly Electric aircraft so I already have a need for a Lithium charger. If you do not have a Lithium charger it is an additional expense.

I have heard some good things about the Enyloop batteries. I understand that they are a variation of the NiMh.

I do not know if moving the sticks on the Tx, while it is Transmitting, draws any more current than leaving the sticks at Neutral
Old 02-26-2009, 10:08 PM
GhostRider32

The output power does not change whether the sticks are moving are not, it's always whatever it's set at. There may be minimal current drain caused by moving the sticks but I don't know. I do know that I have over 7 flying hours on my current transmitter charge and it still reads about 10v.

I've got different nimhs in 2 different radios: 1 pack of low discharge 2000mah and 1 pack of regular 2500mah. Either one works great for me.

As far as I know, you can use your regular nimh wall wart but at 50ma, it would take 40 hours to charge a fully depleted 2000mah battery. No big deal if its fully charged and you go fly for a couple of hours and then you take it home and then recharge all night or so. Really, even if you don't recharge it all the way, how many people will fly a plane long enough to use a 15 hour nimh charge that would replace 750ma in a day. You still probably have a total of over 1500ma anyway without fully rechgarging it. Most people here talk about charging their 2000mah lipo once a week so what's the difference? Very few if any ever use the full 2000mah in a single day of flying. 10 hours of actual flight time in a single day? I've never seen it done. If you only fly on Sat and Sun then you have all week to charge anyway.

Don't get me wrong, if lipo's in your transmitter float your boat, by all means, get one but there are new alternatives that are just as good for 99% of the people.

If you want to get the new nimh's then Sanyo eneloops or any like this of the "low self discharge" nimhs are good.

Here's all you need if you want to go the Eneloop route.

http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/s...7kftbopedu23f6

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=2123
Old 02-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Skarn

ORIGINAL: GhostRider32

I don't see the fire issue as that big of a deal as long as you charge correctly. My reasoning is why put a lipo in the transmitter that you can possibly kill by leaving the transmitter on when you can now buy low discharge nimhs that have near the same capacity and now have nearly the same energy retention without the possibility of killing it? To each his own I guess.

Now That's something I didn't even think about! I know I've left mine on overnight by mistake before.....I'm goingn to have to be more conscious of this now, thanks!

Skarn
Old 02-27-2009, 02:30 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: Skarn
Uh... [link=http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/08/nokia_battery.html]YES![/link]

and [link=http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9824853-1.html]YES![/link]

The reality is that under ideal conditons, LiPos are pretty safe.

Unfortunately, we don't always have ideal conditions.

There are reports of LiPos spontaneously igniting due to such simple triggers as being left in a car on a warm/hot day.

I'll be sticking with my Sanyo 1650 NiMH packs. I can fully charge them from flat in just over an hour (at 1C) and they hold their charge for months and months.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Gulliver

If you charge the lipos in the transmitter, make sure you take them out and balance them once in a while. I didn't, and left the charge unnattended as I have many times. This time they caught fire, burned up the transmitter and part of the workshop with massive smoke damage throughout the house. Five weeks in a motel while the house was cleand for a total cost of eighteem thousand dollars. Thank god for fire insurance.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Skarn

ORIGINAL: XJet

ORIGINAL: Skarn
Uh... [link=http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/08/nokia_battery.html]YES![/link]

and [link=http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9824853-1.html]YES![/link]

The reality is that under ideal conditons, LiPos are pretty safe.

Unfortunately, we don't always have ideal conditions.

There are reports of LiPos spontaneously igniting due to such simple triggers as being left in a car on a warm/hot day.

I'll be sticking with my Sanyo 1650 NiMH packs. I can fully charge them from flat in just over an hour (at 1C) and they hold their charge for months and months.
Uh....NOT from NORMAL usage! First off you cited stories of RECALLS from DEFECTIVE batteries! Secondly, the fires occurred when RECHARGING...which we do outside of the transmitter. And the 2nd story is admitted speculation.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but you can also get hit by lightening.....I LOVE my lipo transmitter pack

But admittedly, to each his own.
Skarn