Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec Spectra and the Futaba rx

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 04:15 AM
darkmask25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec Spectra and the Futaba rx

I found on a web site that you can use the spectra module in the futaba radio... the 8c...is this true? how about the 9c?
Old 02-19-2002, 04:25 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Works in the 8*** series equipment only. There are some issues..

The 9Z Synthesiser is software switched. The HiTec unit is manually changed by user...
Old 02-19-2002, 05:43 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Hitec Sprecta module works in the Futaba T8Uxx(s) series of radios. There has been much debate about the legality of using this combination, but it works. In fact it works very well. I have seen times when a T8UAFS with the normal module gave an un-safe range check. Switching to the Spectra module cleared up the problem and provided a great range check...

Cheers!

Galen
Old 02-19-2002, 05:22 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree -- Don's book is a "must have" item for all Futaba T8Uxx(s) owners. It is well worth the price!

Cheers!

Galen
Old 02-19-2002, 05:31 PM
BuddieCord
My Feedback: (1)

Default Spectra in Futaba

I use a spectra in my 7 channel, 8channel and new 9C (I do not own a 9Z). The spectrum analyzer shows the signal generated to be equal to or better than factory units. The manuals warn against this because Futaba radios are not certified with HiTec Spectra Tx modules. Any event that I have attended that is AMA sanctioned and the CD is aware you are using a Spectra he will ask you to use Futaba or don't fly.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:25 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Spectra from my Eclipse works just fine in my 9C.
Old 02-20-2002, 03:39 PM
Sport_Pilot

Default So why is AMA doing that.

The issue is with the FCC isn't it? Both Hitech and Futaba admit that the combo works. So why isn't the AMA pushing them to get this combo certified instead of banning it? Must be some $$$ at work here?
Old 02-20-2002, 03:54 PM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

It's called market share. Both Hitec and Futaba (9Z only) have synthesized modules for their respective Tx's. Why should they invest thousands of $ to certify some other company's equipment?
Old 02-20-2002, 04:16 PM
Sport_Pilot

Default Seems like Hitech would!

Futaba sells a lot more radios than Hitech is why! And why did they bother to make it fit the Futaba radion in the first place? The whole issue stinks of dirty politics and money to me!
Old 02-21-2002, 12:56 AM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

I own both the Hitec Eclipse 7 and the Futaba 8AU. Though I haven't used my Hitec Spectra in my Futaba, it is one of the reason I bought the Futaba. I needed a radio for my Ultra Stick and I'm spoiled by the Spectra.

I've been told there is considerably more Hitec Spectras out there in Futaba 8AU radios than in Hitec radios. I wonder if Hitec would acknowledge whether there is considerably more Spectras out there than Hitec radios.
Old 03-14-2002, 04:40 PM
BuddieCord
My Feedback: (1)

Default Hitec Synthesizer

I have used the synthesizer in the 7, 8, and 9c series. I do not have a 9Z. The way we have found to work best is:
1) Turn on the radio WITHOUT the synthesizer in place.
2) Listen for a beep
3) Insert synthesizer and do a range check.
We have checked and compared the output of the Hitec synthesizer on our clubs frequency analyzer and found it to be on spec on all channels and equal to or better than all others it was compared to( JR/Futaba/Airtronics/Hitec) with single modules. I know it will absolutely not work correctly with the 9Z synthesized receiver.
Old 03-15-2002, 06:40 PM
cassidy
My Feedback: (5)

Default Re: Hitec Synthesizer

[I have a 7 UP Super 1024. Has anyone tried the Hitec Spectra in this and will it work?
If the Spectra works will the regular Hitec module (single frequency) also work?
Old 03-24-2002, 09:01 PM
f15hoss
My Feedback: (11)

Default Spectra

I have a Spectra and have tried it in just about every module radio that I own...9C, 7U, 5U, and 9V. I have found that it works great with the Futaba RX's(127's), and the Hitec Supreme. My Hitec Platinums don't like it, nor does my DAD Intx 2000. Curiously, one of my Platinums doesn't like the 9C regardless of the module...Spectra or Stock. The same receivers also don't like the Synthesized 9Z, and the same Platinum balks at the 9Z even with a Futaba single freq module. George Steiners book talks about this and it is the result of the 9th channel "sort of" being there in the FM mode. This appears as an unusually long reset pulse and confuses the receivers timing. I am not sure why Futaba didn't make the 9th channel active except in FM, other than the fact that they don't make an FM receiver with more than 8 channels.