Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 9C versus JR 9303

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 03:05 PM
hosam
My Feedback: (121)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 9C versus JR 9303

First of all, my intentions for this thread is NOT to start a war here… I just have a dilemma and need your help to decide…

In the last 5 years I have owned the Futaba 9C and 9C super and had zero issues with them. Real easy to use and simple to setup a plane…

This past weekend I acquired a 2-month-old JR 9303 with a punch of receivers and modules.

Now if you have owned both radios please tell me the pros and cons. Please respond only if you have owned both radios as I am not really interested in your comments if you have only owned one or the other…BTW both radios are on 72 MHz, which is not a biggie to me.

The dilemma is one must go… which one?

Thanks for your understanding and help in this matter…

Hosam
Old 03-24-2009, 03:14 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 9C versus JR 9303

LOL good luck.

They are both good radios, if you can figure one out you can figure both out so "ease of programming" isn't an issue.

I like some things about both and dislike some things about both.

If you fly twins the JR has a clear advantage. Thats about the only thing I can think of.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:25 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hosam - I have owned both the Futaba 9CAP and I currently own two JR XP9303 systems.

JR/Spektrum got a headstart in the 2.4 arena, but Futaba and many others are offering quality, competitive products.

At the time, my 9CAP had 8 proportional channels and a 9th channel that was just a switch. This was not a problem until I built more complex Scale birds, and jets, which required all 9 channels. The other issue was that the 9th channel was only available in the PCM mode and there were no less expensive 9 channel PPM Rx's, only Futaba's PCM 9 channel Rx.

When JR introduced the XP9303, I bought one. It had 9 proportional channels. There were both 9 channel PPM and 9 channel PCM Rx's to choose from. It had 3 Flight Modes to choose from and Flaps on a 3 position switch, by Default.

When JR teamed up with Spektrum, I bought the Spektrum Module. Now, I had 9 proportional channels on 2.4Ghz, as well, and I could easily pull out the Spektrum Module and put in my JR Synthesized RF Module.

Soon after, Spektrum offered a 2.4 RF Module for my 9CAP, but it only worked for 8 channels. Then, Futaba came out with the 2.4 FASST RF Module, for the 9CAP, but that only worked for 8 channels, as well.

Futaba has since come out with the 6EAX, the T7C, the 10C, the 12FG, and a 14 channel 2.4 system. JR came out with the 12X 2.4 system. Both Futaba and JR have very fine systems, as do Airtronix, Hitec, and many others.

Between the Futaba 9CAP, and the JR XP9303, though, I would go with the JR XP9303. If you still have a number of Futaba Rx's, you could either buy the Futaba FASST RF module, for your 9CAP, sell the JR XP9303, and buy more Futaba FASST Rx's. You could also sell both your systems, while they still have value, and buy a newer 2.4 system from any of the manufacturers.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both the 9C and JR9303. I grew up with Futaba (7UAP, 8UAP, and 9UAPs), but always liked the looks of JR. I also have a 12FG,9ZAP, DX6 and DX7. The 9ZAP is by far my favorite.

I favor Futaba for the following: Switch assignability. Futaba allows you to pick from all of the switches. I love this feature. JR has limits.
I can fake my way through the Futaba programming. I still struggle with the JR - only because of my limited experience with JR.
I don't like the spin wheel on the JR. I feel like it needs better traction (very small detail).
I still like the looks of the JR, but can't really see it when I'm flying. I bought it on an impulse at the hobby shop (2.4 GHZ version).
I like the Futaba 12FG the least. Feels like a toy and the small friction brail/bumps on the back bother my finger tips (I finally dremeled them off).
I love the DX7 too - best bang for the buck.

Kurt
Old 03-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

The dual elevator servo lag on my 9C Super drove me nuts and I switched to a 9Z in order to get away from that issue....

While I've seen some folks post about a mix to alleviate the problem to some extent, I never found one that worked. That issue has been well documented and getting away from it was an advertising plus for the 10C.

I've not had an XP9303, but did have an X9303 and now a 12X.

While the switch assignability differences (Futaba is better) kind of bugged me when I switched to JR, that is the only advantage the Futaba had over the JR IMHO. The programming is different, but once you work with it a bit, I do think JR programming is more intuitive.

Be aware that for the most part, the stuff won't work with each other as Futaba uses a negative shift while JR is positive shift. There are a few rx's out there, mostly Hitec which can run either shift and will work with either system.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:28 AM
hosam
My Feedback: (121)

Guys,

thanks for all the feedback... the switch assignment is one thing I do love about my 9C... I think I will sell them both and get a 2.4, maybe 10C to take advantage of Futaba special... again maybe...
Old 03-25-2009, 12:31 PM
victorzamora

If you're going to buy a 10C right now, you might want to look at the 12FG. I have a 10C and absolutely love it. It's the best radio I've ever used, but the 12FG isn't much more than the 10C and it's 12+2.