Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

are spectum radios reliable now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 04:12 PM
q8cub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are spectum radios reliable now?

I do not have much knowledge about the 2.4 MHZ/spectrum radios. However, up to a year ago (that was the last time I did some reading on the net on the subject), there seemed to have been issues with some brand names like the futaba faast system.

This week one guy at our flying field lost a 100cc gasser using a JR spectrum radio system. I guess he had a lockout although I heard his batteries were fully charged.

So, for a spectrum newbie, have spectrum systems become reliable enough and safe enough to use them for gassers or jets?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-28-2009, 04:26 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: are spectum radios reliable now?

I have two JR XP9303 Tx's. One has the Spektrum Module and one has the 72Mhz Synthesized RF Module. I am switching over to Spektrum Rx's as fast as I can because I have had no serious issues with Spektrum. I have heard of Spektrum issues with Brownouts due to not enough batteries for the amount of current drawn. I have also heard of some heat related issues with Futaba FASST. The mfg's have worked quickly to resolve these issues and I think both systems are solid. There are many other competitors out there with good products.

What I have found is that once you have chosen a brand, you are somewhat locked in to that brand because you can't use other mfg's Rx's with your Tx. Some systems are offered as Tx and Rx and other systems have a 2.4 Module, for your existing Tx and Rx's from the same Module maker. So if you go with JR/Spektrum and decide to switch to Futaba, you will either keep both systems or sell the JR/Spektrum and go with Futaba. There are no 3rd party Rx's like Hitec used to offer for 72Mhz.

Pick your system, whether it be JR/Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics, Assan, XPS, etc. and go with it.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:30 PM
q8cub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!

What is the main reason you are switching to 2.4 MHZ?

Convenience? Not having to worry about what everyone else frequency is.

Reliability? You feel safer flying spectrum systems?

Old 03-28-2009, 05:01 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been flying RC for 31 years and I have had my share of RF noise, Interference on my Frequency, and a few Shoot Downs from persons who turned on a Tx on my frequency but did not have the Frequency Pin. I had a Futaba 9CAP and decided to switch to the JR XP9303 when it came out, because of the features. As it turned out, Spektrum soon came out with the 2.4 Module and I was able to use 9 Proportional Channels on PPM, PCM, and 2.4, with the 9303. I bought the Spektrum Module and have been completely satisfied.

I could only get 8 Proportional Channels, with my 9CAP, whether I used the FASST Module, the Spektrum Module, or any one else's Module.

As it turns out, Futaba has come out with a very competitive array of 2.4 Tx's and Rx's.

I fly Turbine Jets with my 9303 and AR9000. I have a fellow Jet flyer who uses the Futaba 12FG and is very happy.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:55 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

with one small mfgr exception, all the new 2.4 stuff is as reliable, or unreliable, as the old 72 stuff. as in, most problems seen are self induced. feel comfortable with any of the stuff from the "big 3".
Old 03-28-2009, 07:42 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

While none of the systems have been letter perfect, many of the reported problems have been user induced.

If you fly at a busy field, or go to events, 2.4 is the way to go.

IRCHA 08

780 pilots 45 impounded 72mhz radios.

The year before people were standing in line at flight stations waiting to fly when their pagers were already going off requiring them to bring their transmitter back to impound....