Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How do I identify a servo...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:26 PM
pb1592

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I identify a servo...

Hi,

I wanted to know if anyone could provide me with some insight regarding how to identify a specific type of servo. I have an XTM Rage 4wd r/c car and the gears in the servo finally stripped after repeated front wheel crashes with curbs/walls/etc. I simply want to replace the servo with one that is the same size as cheap as possible, which is most likely from china via eBay . The stock servo in the Rage has no identification model or brand and I would like to know the best way to find a generic one online with the same size/rating.

Also, is it possible to buy replacement servo gears, or does the entire servo have to be replaced.

Thanks!

-Brian
Old 03-30-2009, 11:41 PM
redfox435cat

Default RE: How do I identify a servo...

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0097p?CATEGORY=MA&P=N]tower hobbies[/link]
more than likely you should be able to get a futaba s3003 and modify it anyway possible. it skies the limit from there. if its the 1/18th scale job it might be an s3107. basically the size of the servo is your designation
Old 03-30-2009, 11:45 PM
pb1592

The servo I'm looking for is a mini servo. From my limited r/c experience there are different scale mini servo's and i'm not sure how many, nor do i know exactly what scale the one i am searching for is.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:46 PM
redfox435cat

ok it the s3107 then, there isn't much to it it either works or it doesn't and the their all universal. the only hang up is if your system is a positive or negative shift. most china stuff is negative shift. If its positive shift then look to the JR line of servos which you can find at http://www.horizonhobby.com/
Old 03-31-2009, 12:51 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most servos I have ever used are designed to work with either Positive Shift or Negative Shift. I seem to recall someone posting a similar question, in another forum, and receiving a reply that there were a few older servos that might be limited to one Shift or another.

I have had Futaba and JR radios for years and used JR, Hitec, Futaba, Tower Hobbies, FMA servos, in both Futaba and JR radios without issue.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:41 AM
pb1592

I found a parts website that has a reference # for the stock servo that comes with the car its a Cirrus cs425 (XTM3862). Cheapest I see it for is $25 (includes shipping). I was hoping to snag something compatible for about half that if it exists.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:31 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Weak Signals RC Expo begins this Friday, in Toledo, Ohio. There are always great buys on servos in the Swap area of this show as well as on the main floor. It runs from Friday-Sunday.