Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Range loss?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 11:06 AM
propjobbill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range loss?

Will I lose range by doubling back my antenna as shown in the picture, as opposed to letting it hang out the back. I've been flying one plane this way but I've been keeping it within 400' and it seems to work OK. I would hate to loose a plane because of doubling the antenna back this way, but when it hang out the back of the plane it is easy to step on the antenna.

Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36516.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1172378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez84005.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1172379  
Old 04-04-2009, 11:09 AM
slarty

Default RE: Range loss?

Oh dear..... not the best way to do it as the signal picked up will tend to cancel out. Don't double up your antenna.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:20 AM
propjobbill

Well; that's what I needed to know, I don't want to find out the hard way. Thanks
Old 04-04-2009, 03:24 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: propjobbill Well; that's what I needed to know, I don't want to find out the hard way. Thanks
Much relative information available under sub sections
"Antenna - Rubber Duckie, Micro & Whip Flywire - replace long aerials with loaded base antenna"
"Range check and Range problem solving"
"Receiver - FAQ, guides and aids to best reception."
at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Regards
Alan T.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Dsegal

Go for an Azarr M-72 antenna. EcubedRC's website seems to be down so here is another source: http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-pa...=EC-ANT-M-72-L
Old 04-04-2009, 07:49 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just let it trail behind the plane. I have several planes that the antenna trailed out the wing tip or tail. The only problem is you don't want to stand on the antenna wire as you pick up the plane.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:05 PM
propjobbill

I've already decided go strait with the antenna and don't modify anything. This article say everything I need to know http://rc-cam.com/ant_exp.htm It seams like the best thing you can do is use it the way it was designed and keep it strait.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

If all this was true all pylon racers would fall from the sky. They routinely wrap their antennas internally. I've done it many times.

I would double that antenna without even thinking about it and never notice a bit of problem. Keep in mind that that is a very small model and therefore you will keep it closer just to be able to see it. Any theoretical loss of range will be compensated for by that alone.

HiTec even supplies a bobbin with their receivers to wrap the antenna. I'll have to go down and look at the instructions but I seem to remember they recommend no more than half the length should be wrapped. The antenna wire should never cross itself, however.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Sir Raleigh

Fiddling with the antenna will shorten the range of the receiver, but the main question is will it shorten the range to the point where you loose control of the model.

Consider:

Let's assume for a moment, that the range of a full range receiver with a 40" antenna is 2,640 feet (1/2 mile). Then based on the data referencing antenna length to db loss found in the link supplied by propjobbill, going from a 40" antenna to a 19" antenna reduces the signal by -7.7db, or just over the -6db referenced which will drop the range by a little over one half (see (2) under Decibels for Dumbbells in that link). For a park flier, would you really be in danger of loosing the aircraft going from 2,640 feet to somewhere around 1,000 feet?

Also, nowhere in that article could I find a reference to an antenna that's folded back on itself. But even if that is a consideration, and the signal is reduced by the -7.7db referenced in the article, we're still looking at a range of around 1,000 feet.

Just remember, for us here in the US, a football field is 100 yards, or 300 feet. That would put the effective range of a shortened or doubled-backed antenna somewhere between 3 and 4 football fields.

I don't know about you, but I doubt I could see my small park flier airplane 3 football fields away.

Bill
Old 04-05-2009, 02:04 PM
propjobbill

I can tell you that at some place between 400' to 500' these small planes get so small in the air that it is hard to tell what you are doing. I try to always remain within 400' of less on planes 36" or smaller. So I do think that it is true that range is not a problem for these small planes unless you are using a small receiver rated at 500' to 650' then it would be a possible problem. I do have a couple of receivers from BlueBird and GWS that have these short range ratings. But these are probably designed for indoor flying and weight 4 grams or less. I have never found it a problem on my larger .40 or bigger planes with the antenna being to long.

Thanks for the comments and information.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:30 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Stripes
>snip< HiTec even supplies a bobbin with their receivers to wrap the antenna. I'll have to go down and look at the instructions but I seem to remember they recommend no more than half the length should be wrapped.
Bobbin - What is purpose/effect of the Hitec Antenna Bobbin

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 04-06-2009, 12:18 AM
freeair

is that wing positioned the right way ? looks to be back to front in pic.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:51 AM
Skarn

I used to rap mine all the time without any issues and still do on a few of my planes.

But I now regularly use the micro antenna...I love them.

Skarn
Old 04-06-2009, 02:31 PM
propjobbill

Yes the wing was on backwards in that picture. I didn't even notice until after taking the picture, but that was OK I only I only put it on to take the picture. It is not yet ready to fly, it still needs an engine on it.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:03 PM
bgfireman
My Feedback: (13)

I routed one out of a eflite mus and taped ot to the bottom of the horizontal stab. It looks neat and you have to step on the airplane to step on it. My other airplane has a optional pullpull rudder and I routed the wire out it with about 3 inches hanging out.
Alan