Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Old Futaba receiver

Old 06-16-2003, 01:02 AM
Theycallmejam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Futaba receiver

Ok guys, first timer here, it has been 8 very long yrs since I raced or done anything else with RC stuff. I went on vacation when from I sold all of my stuff, and got the bug again. I even bought a couple rc vehicles while I was there.
Now for the question, I have a FP-T2KPA Futaba trans. I even found the receiver that I used.(Long story) Now my delina, The old receiver has the OLD J-plugs. Nothing that I have seen comes close the this, does anyone have or know where I can get some j type plugs. I beleive they are j, It is the old receiver with the 3 pins on the plug. If I can get the plugs I can get a futaba servo, and use the really old RC10 that I got back.(from that long stort)
thanks for any help
Jimmy
Old 06-16-2003, 03:25 AM
strato911

You have another problem - unless it meets the narrow band specs, it is illegal to use in North America.

I'm not familiar with that model (and find no record of it on Futaba's site), but if it's so old that it uses the old-style-plugs, it probably won't meet the current narrow-band radio standards, and the grace period for converting them has long expired.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:34 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 'G'

The Futaba plug you describe is the 'G' plug and has not been used for many years. As Dennis mentioned it is very likely a wide band unit.

John
Old 06-16-2003, 02:26 PM
Theycallmejam

Thanks for the info guys. I don't think I mentioned that the trans. is on the 27 band. It is still illegal?
Thaks in Advance,
Jimmy
Old 06-16-2003, 02:30 PM
strato911

Yes, based upon the FCC regulations I've read.

If it doesn't meet the narrow-band specs, it is illegal in North America.

<Edit>
Correction - 27Mhz does not need to meet the narrow-band specs (read my later post).
Old 06-16-2003, 03:21 PM
ec121k

I don't think narrow band applies to 27Mhz. The frequencies are between voice CB and I don't think regs in this range have changed. The narrow band issue is in the 72/75Mhz range because there are commercial radio controlled issues like cranes.

If you are in the 27mhz range, you should be good to go.

Goose Creek???? My sister lived there for about 10 years.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:14 PM
strato911

The only exceptions set out in the FCC regulations I could find are in regards to maximum power output. Nowhere have I found anything in the regs stating that 27Mhz is exempt from the narrow-band requirements.

However, you may still be right ec121k... but it would be nice to know where in the official regulations this is stipulated. Please state the regulation # which exempts 27Mhz from the narrow-band specification.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:23 PM
strato911

I admit my error. I have found the exemption ec121k referred to.

FCC Regulation 95.625 states in part:
(b) Each R/C transmitter that transmits in the 26–27 MHz frequency band with a mean TP of 2.5 W or less and that is used solely by the operator to turn on and/or off a device at a remote location, other than a device used solely to attract attention, must be maintained within a frequency tolerance of 0.01%. All other R/C transmitters that transmit in the 26–27 MHz frequency band must be maintained within a frequency tolerance of 0.005%. Except as noted in paragraph (c) of this section, R/C transmitters capable of operation in the 72–76 MHz band must be maintained within a frequency tolerance of 0.005%.

(c) All R/C transmitters capable of operation in the 72–76 MHz band that are manufactured in or imported into the United States, on or after March 1, 1992, or are marketed on or after March 1, 1993, must be maintained within a frequency tolerance of 0.002%. R/C transmitters operating in the 72–76 MHz band and marketed before March 1, 1993, may continue to be operated with a frequency tolerance of 0.005% until March 1, 1998.
This says that 27Mhz need only be tuned with 0.005% accuracy (wide band), as compared to 72 & 75Mhz equipment, which is tuned with 0.002% accuracy (narrow band).
Old 06-16-2003, 05:25 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just caught the tail end of this one. Dennis you are a good man and I could only hope that more folks would be willing to make the effort to do things right like you are. After all, all we have to lose is our free unlicensed use of this wonderful Frequency spectrum that we all take so much for granted.

Indeed there is a ground swell of activity in this country restoring vintage RC equipment on the 27Mhz band and flying Vintage RC aircraft and I am not talking about 'radio assist freeflights' but genuine designed for RC vintage airplanes. I take great pleasure in flying on rare occasions a replica of my first RC (Airco Aero 9) airplane. Although I am a coward and the original radio only serves as a dummy and its dang hard to find 67.5 volt drycells anymore.

Would be interested Dennis of any such activity in Canada?
Now any body interested in perhaps a precision aerobatics contest perhaps the rudder-only class (no throttles are cheating) right out of the 1959 AMA rule book?

Sorry for rambling
John
Old 06-16-2003, 06:12 PM
strato911

Originally posted by JohnBuckner
Indeed there is a ground swell of activity in this country restoring vintage RC equipment on the 27Mhz band and flying Vintage RC aircraft ...

Would be interested Dennis of any such activity in Canada?
If there is, I haven't noticed it. Then again, I'm a fairly "private" RC enthusiast. I prefer flying alone, or with one or two close friends. The only reason I joined a club is for access to the runway. I know more RCU members than members from the local club.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:29 PM
Theycallmejam

Yup, I am in the creek of the Goose, lol. Been here and in the area for almost 20 yrs off and on. Does your sis still live here? If not I bet it has grown alot.
Jimmy
Old 06-17-2003, 08:44 AM
ec121k

Jimmy,

She moved to Cinnci about 20 years ago. I forget just when. Anyway, they moved down there in about 1974 or so and my brother-in-law helped set up the GE steam turbine plant there.
He then transferred to the Evandale jet engine facility outsde of Cinncinati.

I'm sure it's changed a great deal.

I was in Kinston, N.C. for 5 months last year and one thing I like about being back in Pa. is we don't have fire ants at our flying sites.

Tony