Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

range problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 02:47 AM
painly
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default range problems

ok so here is the set up

hitec universal rec and a futaba skyport trans. the trans works fine i know. and im fairly sure the rec is fine. the only diff thing is i made a 4.8 AAA, pack from NiCad 250 mah radio shack batteries.

rang without atena up is about maybe 40 feet
Old 06-17-2003, 01:20 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default range problems

Try changing how the antenne is routed and see if your range improves.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:44 PM
strato911

Default range problems

You say the only thing different is the batteries. Hook up the previous batteries and see if the range check returns to normal.

It's possible those "Trash Shack" batteries can't provide enough current, resulting in the receiver being unable to function properly, or perhaps one of the cells is defective.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:09 AM
Lynx

Default range problems

Trash Shack battiers are usually Sanyo's.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:17 AM
strato911

Default range problems

My post was not meant as an attack on either the store nor the batteries - it's just a nickname for the store.

I still feel if the cells have a capacity of only 250mAh, they may not be able to provide enough current. Depending how the pack was assembled, they may have even sustained damage during soldering.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:58 PM
painly

Default range problems

ill put my v gauge to them, however 250mah is standard for nicad aaa's

im not really concerned about this, crashed my main plane, trying to get it going again
Old 06-21-2003, 06:38 AM
Lynx

Default range problems

Make sure you test it under load, the voltage means nothing if it drops through the floor once you try to draw current.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:04 AM
NavyE6FE

Default range problems

painly Definitely check the ant. routing on the plane. I routed the ant. in the provided tube inside the GP 1/3 Pitts w/gas eng. My range with tx ant down was maybe 50 feet with ant extended a little more. Also the servos would chatter and move if the tx was oriented in different positions around the plane. Put the ant thru the side of the fuse and back to the horz. stab and now no more chatter and my range with the tx ant collapsed is over 150 feet.

Steve
Old 06-21-2003, 08:32 PM
KG4MIN
My Feedback: (13)

Default E-6 FE

E6 FE

I guess not many understand your user name. Clear to me. I spent many years with the old EC-130G/Q's at Pax River. Got you guys kinda out in the woods to still be Navy. I know the Air Force wanted their hands on Tacamo for a long time. I see you guys at Pensacola once in a while. Don't think I could take a PLE in an E-6. Fourteen hours in a 130 was enough. O well so much for that, I'm approaching the time I have been out equaling the time I was in and I'm retired. Got a good friend there, he's a retired chief now working for Rockwell,Jim Meppalink. There's probably others around but I don't plan on coming up to see. Take care.

Grover,KG4MIN
Old 06-23-2003, 02:15 AM
painly

Default range problems

Originally posted by NavyE6FE
painly Definitely check the ant. routing on the plane. I routed the ant. in the provided tube inside the GP 1/3 Pitts w/gas eng. My range with tx ant down was maybe 50 feet with ant extended a little more. Also the servos would chatter and move if the tx was oriented in different positions around the plane. Put the ant thru the side of the fuse and back to the horz. stab and now no more chatter and my range with the tx ant collapsed is over 150 feet.

Steve
thanks for the info, i have the entena comming out the rear of the wing (low wing), and traight tot he top of the vertical stabilizer. im going to test these batteries one of these days, been too busy fixing other planes

thanks