Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

ACE Retract Servo Diagram

Old 04-10-2009, 10:07 AM
tmckien
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACE Retract Servo Diagram

Years ago, ACE RC sold a retract servo kit. When it was assembled, I believe that you had to choose between 2 resistors - 1 value was used for FM receivers and a different value was used for AM. The resistor determined the amount of travel. If you use the AM value with an FM receiver, the servo would not give 180d rotation.... at least that's how I remember it.

Does anyone have a schematic and information on that servo (late 70's). I need to find out which resistor and the value needed for FM.
Thanks, Tm.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:03 PM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

Default RE: ACE Retract Servo Diagram

I have the info on Ace's 180 degree servo, but there is no mention of what you ask about. The only resistor change is one that is added to make it 180 - without it is normal 90 degrees.
Also, I see no reason for a change needed for AM or FM receivers. The controlling pulse comes from the transmitter, nor the receiver, and except for Kraft "G" servos, all others worked on a 1 to 2 millisecond pulse. The servo did not know or care if it came from an AM or FM receiver - they were the same.
You will not damage anything by trying the servo with whatever system you are using, assuming that the plug polarity is correct. If the throw is less than 180, there is another way to increase it. Let me know. Eloy
Old 04-10-2009, 01:37 PM
tmckien
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the response. I was apparently mistaken about the FM vs AM changes. I'll post an update if I find any additional info. TM
Old 04-15-2009, 08:01 PM
coriolan

ORIGINAL: EloyM

I have the info on Ace's 180 degree servo, but there is no mention of what you ask about. The only resistor change is one that is added to make it 180 - without it is normal 90 degrees.
Also, I see no reason for a change needed for AM or FM receivers. The controlling pulse comes from the transmitter, nor the receiver, and except for Kraft "G" servos, all others worked on a 1 to 2 millisecond pulse. The servo did not know or care if it came from an AM or FM receiver - they were the same.
You will not damage anything by trying the servo with whatever system you are using, assuming that the plug polarity is correct. If the throw is less than 180, there is another way to increase it. Let me know. Eloy
Futaba center pulse used to be 1.34ms with AM transmitters and 1.5ms with their FM, everybody else was 1.5ms 20 years ago. I still have some old Futaba servos which don't center the same
with other than old AM futaba compared to says an Hitec Modern Tx(used for surface in boats). It shouldn't make any difference with a retract servo which only go from one extreme to the other
depending on the high and low pulse(tried with two JR retract servos and even on a non-retract linear channel it work as intended)without regard for the neutral pulse.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:38 PM
gyrocptr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tmckien

Years ago, ACE RC sold a retract servo kit. When it was assembled, I believe that you had to choose between 2 resistors - 1 value was used for FM receivers and a different value was used for AM. The resistor determined the amount of travel. If you use the AM value with an FM receiver, the servo would not give 180d rotation.... at least that's how I remember it.

Does anyone have a schematic and information on that servo (late 70's). I need to find out which resistor and the value needed for FM.
Thanks, Tm.
This link should answer your question.
ftp://ftp.roguebay.com/ACERC%20Yahoo...%20Changes.pdf