Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Redundant Receiver Requirements

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 01:01 AM
NUWildcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redundant Receiver Requirements

I understand how the redundant receiver setup is generally done (splitting control surfaces).

I am looking into designing a "box" for dual receiver setups for complete redundancy that will do a couple things:

1) decide if a receiver has failed and to "disconnect it" from the circuit.

2) attempt to reduce interference effects based on using information from both receivers.

It would be nice to be able to have full control in the event of a receiver failure from various reasons, crystal failure, battery (I know there are other ways to prevent this), but also maintain the benefits of the dual receiver system, ie less loading.

If at all possible, and without starting an argument on what is good or bad about dual receiver setups (it has been discussed at length), what would you as a pilot like to see in a totally redundant receiver system?

Thanks!
Jon
Old 06-17-2003, 03:42 AM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Exactly that. Total redundancy. If receiver one fails due to power outage, crystal falls out, it fails and starts spewing interference or failsafe signals, the other good receiver will take over and allow complete control of the airplane by the pilot.

If it can't handle the following by giving the pilot more than half the airplane, then its pretty much about what we have with dual receivers and a power jumper between then.

1. Power outage on one receiver
2. One receiver receives interference while the other doesn't
3. One receiver goes into failsafe, while the other doesn't
4. A failure of widget itself should not become a single point of failure and cause a total loss of control.

Something along those lines would definitely get my attention!
Old 06-17-2003, 03:43 AM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Oh yea, almost forgot.

It needs to be ready to ship next week, since I want two
Old 06-17-2003, 03:50 AM
NUWildcat

Mr Faust,

I am glad you replied, most of my inspiration for this project comes from the battle on the last post regarding this subject, hence my words "without starting an argument on what is good or bad about dual receiver setups (it has been discussed at length)".

Sorry, not next week . . . still tossing around ideas. Hardest part is figuring out which signal is "right" in case of a discrepancy.

Jon