Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

filter for long servo extensions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 02:24 PM
BT Sniper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default filter for long servo extensions?

I have an elevator servo to mount that will be 7' away from the rx. I will be making my own extension to tie into the servo lead so as to reduce the number of conections. My question is should I wory about interferance from the long wire? I will be running 6 Volts to the rx and the new futaba fasst system. The only info I could find reguarding filters on this sight sugested that they actualy caused interferance rather then did any good.

Anyone have any first hand experience or addvise for me.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 04-24-2009, 01:41 AM
freeair

Default RE: filter for long servo extensions?

your servo must have a short wire as 7 inches is not long but if you need to extend it abit theres no need for any filter , i have some models with 16 inch extension leads and no problems atall.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:14 AM
tkilwein

If you have digital servos, small wire size and experience a heavy load on the servo you may have a voltage drop due to the increased current draw, that may reset the digital servo.
Need more info.
I twist my leads and have ~6 feet total using 20gauge wire, using analog servos (1.5amp max draw each, 5.8v reg, PCM RX) in one plane with no issues but do not put them under heavy loads.
Have a 3W150TS up front, double the EMI noise.
Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2009, 09:22 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a good idea to pick up a device such as the Hangar 9 Current Meter and check the Current Draw not only for each servo, in a stalled condition, but also connect it between the battery and the Rx and see what the entire system draws when all the servos are stalled. This will give you an idea of what size battery capacity to install.

Some people use servo extensions with Twisted wires, which helps reduce Interference. Others use Chokes and other electronic devices to help eliminate Interference when using long servo leads. You have to be careful with some radios as the Chokes, etc., may cause more problems than it solves. I have heard that some 2.4 radios do not like Chokes and I have seen situations where a friend put Chokes on all his servo leads and it worked fine when he was using a PPM Rx. As soon as he switched to a PCM Rx, everything went crazy.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Skarn

ORIGINAL: freeair

your servo must have a short wire as 7 inches is not long but if you need to extend it abit theres no need for any filter , i have some models with 16 inch extension leads and no problems atall.

He said 7 feet, not inches!

Skarn
Old 04-24-2009, 12:25 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

There is no need for filters or anything on any frequency and especially when using 2.4ghz.
The problem with long servo leads is getting enough current to the servos to operate properly.
Use heavy duty extensions and go to 6v.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like Dirty Bird says, use as large a wire as you can, 20 gage would not be to large. Ditto on the use of Chokes and twisting, neither is necessary and the chokes could cause problems but twisting the wires will not hurt anything.....just not necessary.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:37 AM
freeair

ORIGINAL: Skarn

ORIGINAL: freeair

He said 7 feet, not inches!

Skarn
woops my blue. in this case of 7 feet i would be using a pull pull wire system for the elevator.