Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Reason for not upgrading to 2.4

Old 04-28-2009, 08:50 AM
onewasp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Reason for not upgrading to 2.4

Thanks for the additional comments.

Now, to unsettle your day.
IF my GUESS is correct then you do have a power problem or an installation problem.

SWAG says check your antennas to make certain that at least one set is always clear of battery pack shadows, engine shadows etc.

I haven't even been able to get that result while trying but it is a potential even if it is a low percentage 'call' based upon my experience.
Again, since you are experiencing problems the Flight Log can save you a lot of guess work as it will give you not only the fades, frame losses and holds if any but will also ID the antenna involved.

While QC (the firmware update) will recover your system let's not ignore the fact that the problem still exists (I.E. the cause).
Only when we find and correct that will you have 'solved' your problem.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:04 AM
onewasp

"From what everybody at the field tells me & from what I've read the spektrum antennae should be folded over"

Negative !

Go here:
http://www.team-horizon.com/articles...orientation-ht

Pointing the Tx antenna is always a bad idea _____ but it is a very LOW percentage failure mode.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Onewasp, you beat me to posting the antenna orientation link....

I think Tankertoad got his answer over on the WildHare support forum, but he didn't read closely enough as it looks like he's not convinced about A123's.... YET....

Tankertoad; Just go with the A123's and you won't look back. Tom at WildHare can get you all setup.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:46 PM
tankertoad

ORIGINAL: onewasp

Thanks for the additional comments.

Now, to unsettle your day.
IF my GUESS is correct then you do have a power problem or an installation problem.

SWAG says check your antennas to make certain that at least one set is always clear of battery pack shadows, engine shadows etc.

I haven't even been able to get that result while trying but it is a potential even if it is a low percentage 'call' based upon my experience.
Again, since you are experiencing problems the Flight Log can save you a lot of guess work as it will give you not only the fades, frame losses and holds if any but will also ID the antenna involved.

While QC (the firmware update) will recover your system let's not ignore the fact that the problem still exists (I.E. the cause).
Only when we find and correct that will you have 'solved' your problem.
If the root cause was power, then that should be covered by a different pack set-up (Lion or A123) plus, I'll go to a Smart-Fly super switch with 2 outputs to the RX to better handle the load through the connectors. I'm also switching to the AR9000 (with updated firmware) and plan to run both remote Rx's. All together, I should be covered for power issues, signal issues and re-boot issues. Am I missing anything?
Old 04-28-2009, 12:49 PM
onewasp

Hey Zeeb !!!!

Good to hear from you. The "ancients" get to the finish line first every once in a while.
Now I've got to determine if that was 'IT' for 2009 or if just perhaps I'm getting my form back.

I'll have to admit that I'm enjoying the new (for me) challenge in electrics. Their flight characteristics are just enough different to make it fun. It certainly spoils you with the instant power aspect and the spin, snap or tumble with zero thought given to power loss or cleaning it out on the way down.
_____besides, I hate the smell of gasoline.[&o]
Old 04-28-2009, 01:16 PM
onewasp

If the root cause was power, then that should be covered by a different pack set-up (Lion or A123) plus, I'll go to a Smart-Fly super switch with 2 outputs to the RX to better handle the load through the connectors. I'm also switching to the AR9000 (with updated firmware) and plan to run both remote Rx's. All together, I should be covered for power issues, signal issues and re-boot issues. Am I missing anything?

The only thing missing is the full and complete knowledge of the underlying cause.

IF you are still looking at the pack situation then go A123 PERIOD, paragraph!
The hot set up is that plus an FMA 4-Multi charger. Here: http://www.fmadirect.com/

I use the FMA 10S now but that is because I am also into electrics, which are also A123 powered.
A good friend needed a new power set up for a 40% Bipe so he is using my 4S set up. That's right, 40% one switch and one A123-2300 battery, and one FMA Charger. It works fine and he is on 8611's and 8411's throughout.

I do NOT use any special switches simply a JR A001 gold . We only have one guy (an admitted gadget freak) who uses anything else.
The day he has a problem I'm going to another field! I have never seen so much unnecessary crap in one 35% airplane. He won't have a clue where to look for a fix.

As for battery redundancy or anything in the way of dual switches we are parts count conscious .
If you don't have it, it can't fail. If you don't have it , it also weighs nothing.

No extra switches, batteries or regulators in particular. Simply a waste of time and $$$$ in our eyes and that includes some former national champs who are into the "transport" sizes (couldn't resist)

Old 04-28-2009, 01:32 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

You fliers that don't move to 2.4 might want to go to the gas engine forum and read the interference threads. 2.4 gets rid of all of that.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:54 PM
tadawson

Buy a 10C then, you can use both
I can do that with any of my JR gear as well - I just *DON'T WANT TO* . . . . . 2.4 gives me *NOTHING* that I want or need . . . .

- Tim
Old 04-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Rhus

I basically started flying with 2.4 and have never had a radio hiccup. I love the antennae being smaller and out of the way. I love not messing with frequency pins like I’ve had to on my cars and trucks. I just sent 5 Rx’s back to have the firmware updated. The turn around time is kind of long right now for some reason. They are telling me 2 weeks and my UPS tracking confirmation says they’ve had it for a week already.

I finally bought a 2.4 surface radio but I’m down to only 2 trucks. I have, however, found one very significant pitfall to the 2.4[&:]. While I can bind my trucks to one Spektrum Transmitter, I then cannot drive my trucks with my kids unless I buy another 2.4 transmitter and bind one truck to it. In doing so, it sort of negates the need for multiple model memory, unless I rebind it to my main Tx every time I wish to drive the other truck. Seems like kind of a pain. With my old cheapy radios that came with the trucks, there is no problem. With my planes, 2.4 is no problem, but with the new 2.4 equiped trucks it has created a bit of a conundrum. What do the gear heads that own 3,4,5 car/trucks/boats do[X(]? This RC thing can be a bit lonely if you can't share it with friends and family so I need to be able to allow multiple others to drive my various vehicles at the same time. Just running out and buying another Spektrum radio isn't going to happen. In the mean time, I'll be using my DX3R on one truck, and the cheapy Tx on the other.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:54 PM
tankertoad

I'm glad you chimed in on the one switch, one battery thing. I stopped by the LHS and came home with a single 4600 Lion on a regulator. Simple, cheap and I don't have to buy a charger.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:18 PM
onewasp

Your choice ____________

It certainly is not the one I would have made.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:28 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: AA5BY
I read the leader to the article about why some are not upgrading and several points were made such as not wanting to reprogram a new transmitter or invest in a new transmitter.

I confess I did not go to the article at the time it popped up and haven't gotten another opportunity to find it but I was left surprised that the reason most often articulated at our field was not mentioned in the leader.... that many simply have too many receivers to replace.
It's mostly a money thing for me. And, we currently do not have issues with 72mhz where we fly.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:36 PM
flybentley

Tankertoad
Did you check the pins in the back of the transmitter where the module plugs in? I converted my 8U using the Futaba module and noticed that I had next to no range at all, without holding in the range button! Upon further inspection I noticed that the pins in the transmitter had come loose when I installed the module, cold solder joints from the factory. I resoldered the pins and have had no problems since. I converted because we had planes getting shot down left and right by wide band interference on 72.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:43 PM
tenacious101010
My Feedback: (97)

In my opinion, the biggest problem with 2.4 is the cost of the recievers. too much money to convert anything other than the expensive planes that we fly at events.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:14 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

The cost of 2.4 receivers should come down. There is a Chinese system that charges $15 for the receivers.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Mokken
My Feedback: (63)

My 10x is just fine on 72, and since 90% of every person I know or flying field that is local to me has moved to 2.4, that leaves me with my pin all day.

One day I'll move to 2.4, but no rush.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:56 PM
pilotpete2

I do not understand their logic as far as antenna orientation goes. I'll stick with what keeps my planes in the strongest part of the signal for the way I hold the transmitter and the way I follow the plane. Their top center illustration of a correct antenna orientation would be the worst case scenario for me. Vertical, as in the third example, or turned to the side are a good choice for me. Whatever keeps the plane in the strongest part of the transmitters signal is a good orientation.
Pete
Old 04-28-2009, 07:00 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Choice's
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77273.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1188652  
Old 04-28-2009, 08:18 PM
lazy eight
My Feedback: (389)

The biggest reason MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 08:55 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'm currently running the Futaba 7C and 4 2.4 receivers in my pylon racers. No problems at all experienced. I like the short antenna especially when you are turning in turns 2 and 3 and not whipping your fellow racer with the long antenna.

I also have a 9Z HP WCII on 72 with 4 PCM receivers and about 8 PPM receivers. Again no problems with this system either. I would like to convert over to 2.4 but not really wild about that plugin module abortion Futaba offers. I would even consider purchasing one of the 10C on 2.4 but again the plugin module appears to be a second thought along with the plug for the old 72 antenna. If they would offer an upgrade for my 9Z whereas the antenna would exit out the existing antenna hole like the 6EX and 7C I would even consider that. So for now I'll stick with the 7C 2.4 and fly the models needing more channels with the 9Z.

Of course I still fly single channel escapement and galloping ghost systems on 27. Again, these don't give much trouble either!!

Bob Harris
Old 04-28-2009, 08:57 PM
tankertoad

I'll check the pins. I'm sure they weren't meant to have the module pulled out after every day at the field, but that's what I do. Otherwise it won't go in the case with the 2.4 antenna mount sticking out the back.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:27 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that Horizon Hobby description of how to orient your antenna is about as clear as mud. The photos disagree with the text! The 'correct' photos show the pilot pointing the antenna toward his aircraft.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:45 PM
chashint

I am happy with the 9C on 72MHz.
There is no reason for me to change to 2.4GHz and I have no plans to do so.
If I was just starting out right now I would go with the 2.4GHz Futaba system.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Gooseman240

Currently have a baby on the way, so you guessed it.

Besides, I fly with only 3 other guys, they use the 2.4, so ya there is another point!! both systems we have no interference, just pilot error.

I would much rather have a full size boat, this is a hobby I just do for fun [8D]
Old 04-28-2009, 11:37 PM
highwattage74

I'm a newbie to rcuniverse and have only been flying a few years but here is what I have done. I bought an Alpha 40 becuase my father-in-law flies anything and everything. I went to the field with my Alpha that was equipped with a JR S400 setup. I flew, I crashed, I rebuilt. Since then I have built several kits and used 72Mhz with no noticible problems other than radio boards and possible impound. This February I bought a Futaba 10CHP with the TM-14 and the 6014 receiver. I got a bonus 617 receiver due to an ad or something I didn't even know about. The reason for the radio was because I also bought a Raptor 50 heli fully equipped minus RX. So I have had a learning curve with the radio as far as setup. Since I did all my own setup I had my father-in-law check for the usual newbie mistakes such as gyro problems etc. I feel lucky becuase the radio is easy to setup with minimal directions. I love the 10CHP I love 2.4Ghz. Everybody at the field yells "what channel are you on?" I reply "2.4" and then they just disregard me and turn around and take off. No more radio impound no more freq boards. I realize the upfront cost seems steep right now, especially if you have to upgrade several planes. I have never had so much as an unwanted bounce from my heli and believe me it shakes everything to death. Nature of the beast from what I am told. So I guess my advice to a newbie would be 2.4 from the word go.... Rather it be Futaba, Spektrum, ETC..... If I were a Ham I would enjoy 50Mhz and would prefer the "privacy" cannot deny the stability of 2.4Ghz. I am very intereseted in feedback concerning Futaba 2.4 FASST. Good experience, Bad experience. I would like to know.

P.S. My friend Albert runs a hobby store in Illinois and he crashed a brandnew EP Raptor heli due to the fact that one of his antenna leads FELL out of the receiver (using 10CHP with 6014). Talked to Futaba about it they sent new leads under warranty (they can be replaced if you wish to open the RX) one of the new ones fell apart in his hands before he got it installed. I would recommend the gentle but firm TUG on each receiver lead on any receiver (at your own risk <smile>) . I have not heard of this problem anywhere else but Futaba is aware of it and I am sure it was a fluke. All of my stuff is fine. But poor Albert is out $$$ due to a faulty wire. Having been an electronics tech for 20 years I noticed the wires are just crimped to the contact not soldered.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.