Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Reason for not upgrading to 2.4

Old 05-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Reason for not upgrading to 2.4

ORIGINAL: RamItOn

That's fantastic, Zeeb, that you are a tort lawyer and have expertise in that area. The Futaba 9C has been on the market for over 10 years. Please name a lawsuit against Futaba regarding the failure of the dual elevator servo problem that you mentioned, oh J.D. of the Skies. I've had a couple of custom models that used dual elevator servos. Not a problem experienced.

I never called those who rely on ModelMatch "lazy," but if by making such a claim, you will regail me with the ruminations of your finely honed legal mind, I just might. I'm simply saying that they need to pay attention. If you had bothered to read any of the other comments in this board, you will have noticed that I mentioned that I had about 15 models that I use (probably not nearly as many as you, Zeeb), not one. I just can't get over how zealous you guys are about 2.4. The ardency for 2.4 GHz (and the requirement for all to buy in, lest not being perceived as savvy as those who have) really is shocking. Write your congressman and have them propose legislation to make 2.4 GHz the standard, and outlaw our FCC-specific 72 MHz band. That would be awesome and save countless lives! Let's march on Washington! Hold demonstrations! ARE YOU WITH ME?!
Oops! RamItOn, appears you tipped a few pi$$ buckets over.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:09 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can lead a horticulture
but-
Old 05-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Mokken
My Feedback: (63)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just spoke with Gerhard at Weatronic and the 2.4 Dual FHSS are in, I believe I'm going to make the jump to 2.4 this weekend and pick up the module and RX for my 10x at Joe Nall on Friday.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:31 PM
outdoorhunting

If you have an older"60 size" plane & I have a newer "90 size plane, does that make you obstinate, stubborn ,foolish & cheap or a better pilot ?? I don't think so!!!!!!! Some of us CHOOSE to stay with the 72s, some of us CHOOSE to go with the 2.4s. OK.. since when did you get to chose what I fly with. If you want to fly with a 2.4 ,then I think thats great!! If I, or RamItOn or anybody else wants to fly with a 72 that"s OK. THAT DOESN'T make anyone stupid or foolish !!!! You're getting way off base. The thread is titled "Reason for not upgrading to a 2.4, we have stated those reasons. If you want to start another thread, let's see,maybe, My radio is better than yours or my dad can whip your dad, stated by a 10 yr old,feel free to do it. BUT DON'T CALL US ALL THOSE NAMES BECAUSE WE DON"T FIT YOUR MOLD !!!!! I'm sure you won't agree but that's OK. If you're THAT interested in us having the "new" stuff, PM me & I'll give you my address to send a 2.4 TX & about10 RXs. I'll thank you in advance !!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2009, 05:49 PM
RamItOn

Ditto what outdoorhunting said. Box some of those abundantly cheap, clearly superior receivers up (I'll spring for the Tx module) and send those babies out to us. I'll even chip in for shipping.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:17 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally see 2.4 equipment, PCs, digital cameras, HDTv etc as advance in technologies accepted or being accepted by our society in general. As such, the debate of adopting to 2.4 is relatively mute as the process will complete sooner or later.

One thing we should keep in mind that as new gadgets are always cost high initially and their price will drop when they become mainstream. It will be true to 2.4 as well. At that point of time, the economical factor concerning some of us today will disappear.

Last but not least, the continued use of 72mhz is really at the hand of radio manufacturers. We rely on them for new receivers, check-up and repair. If they decide to pull the plug on 72mhz, we have to upgrade. This is true with Microsoft's old OS, or film cameras etc.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:18 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want a Futaba system, Tower currently does not have any 10C and up systems without the discontinued receivers. No individual 14C SS receivers at all. It would be a bit of a waste to spend your money on them until they get the new stuff in.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:44 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc
One thing we should keep in mind that as new gadgets are always cost high initially and their price will drop when they become mainstream. It will be true to 2.4 as well. At that point of time, the economical factor concerning some of us today will disappear.
The high cost is already coming down. Hobby King has a 4 channel transmitter and six channel receiver for $29.99 plus shipping. R2hobbies has a TurBOIX 6 channel Tx and Rx for $40.00 plus shipping.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:08 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I guess I must apologize for calling people stupid that do not switch to 2.4. Stupid people don't know any better. If you know better and still don't switch then you are being foolish. So foolish is the correct word.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:07 AM
awesome
My Feedback: (1)

My reasons for not switching to 2.4ghz yet , have lots of 36mhz gear, works fine,i don't believe in buying a series 1 of anything , i'd rather sit back and let all you guys crash first.
Always works out cheaper and less heartache to learn by others experiences. Plus now , some of the "new" 2.4ghz stuff is already being surpassed by the latest generation of radio gear. Might wait a little longer and see what turns up. I must be a fool if i continue to run on 36mhz , anybody on 2.4ghz feel foolish when they saw their model go in i wonder? But of course i guess you 2.4 fliers never lost a model since switching , right? L.O.L. , YOU GUYS CRACK ME UP!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 01:44 AM
freeair

i must agree with [ awesome ] on this as myself included have many 36 meg receivers on both fm and pcm with JR transmitters of max 66 / 9x and 12 x versions. i have had the occasional glitch here and there on ppm mode but nothing that worried me or the model and i may have had a glitch on pcm mode but i really dont know thanks to this fantastic receiver produced by JR . i have seen alot more hick ups with 2.4 gig radios at my field than other bands in the lower ranges like 29 /36 /40 mhz and i will say most of the flyers at our field have 2.4 gig radios compared to the other which is great meaning alot less chance of being knocked out of the sky by someone turning the TX on. i now have the pick of the frequency board to whatever chanell takes my fancy. one day when all is sorted , if ever just like todays electronic technology i may consider the 2.4 gig set up.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:45 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: awesome

My reasons for not switching to 2.4ghz yet , have lots of 36mhz gear, works fine,i don't believe in buying a series 1 of anything , i'd rather sit back and let all you guys crash first.
Always works out cheaper and less heartache to learn by others experiences. Plus now , some of the "new" 2.4ghz stuff is already being surpassed by the latest generation of radio gear. Might wait a little longer and see what turns up. I must be a fool if i continue to run on 36mhz , anybody on 2.4ghz feel foolish when they saw their model go in i wonder? But of course i guess you 2.4 fliers never lost a model since switching , right? L.O.L. , YOU GUYS CRACK ME UP!!!
I sure hated to give up my reed system. After all I had paid $200 in 1960 $ for it. It still works just fine. Its a bit hard to get servos for it though. I have to make my own.
My 16K DOS computer also works just fine. Its just hard to load all the latest graphics.
I also have a dual core laptop and 2.4ghz RC when I want to do anything.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:07 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

My first GS plane went in because of PCM lock out. Had it checked and found nothing wrong. All I could do was use it again. Had a pattern plane go in because the elevator part of the receiver went south on me. Had it fixed and used it again. I never got on the the web and cried about it. Now what I seem to see here is it works, it don't work, mine is better then yours. There are many good reasons to switch, but if there not your reason don't. In time everybody will be on 2.4. Why? because the manufacturers will stop making 72 and you'll have to switch. Maybe the AMA will lose 72 to the FCC. Who knows. I really don't care what anybody uses as long as they are safe. Everything works until it don't no matter what system you have. Dennis
Old 05-13-2009, 10:52 AM
awesome
My Feedback: (1)

Hey , Dirtybird , i like your sense of humour mate! I just about fell off my chair with laughter! I reckon you've added a couple of years to my lifespan.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:53 AM
ratsrepus

Hi guys,

already heard of Jeti 2.4GHZ?

http://www.jetimodel.cz/index.php?page=home

Tx-modules for several Radios and an universal moduel to upgradr your existing Transmitter.

I now fly this since August 2008 in a MC-22 works perfect at my heli, great Ultmate and glider.

Just have a look!