Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

9C & rubber duckie antenae

Old 05-08-2009, 12:52 AM
cadmn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9C & rubber duckie antenae

I have been told by some that a rubber duckie & a 9C will not be dependable because Futaba does not recognise this antenna. I've also been told by others that they have flown this configuration for years& never had any problems. I've just lost a second plane in 3 months & trying to figure it out Both lost communication in mid flight. everything was fine then Nothing.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:02 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts
Default RE: 9C & rubber duckie antenae

If you modify your transmitter from the factory configuration, of course Futaba is going to say you're on your own for support. If I took my new Jeep and threw a lift kit on it and giant tires then the factory probably wont warranty it either.

I've seen them used a lot with no problems but personally I dont see the point.

I'd look more at your onboard stuff for a voltage or vibration related problem than a rubber ducky antenna but its hard to tell without testing everything involved including the power output of your transmitter.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:44 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine works great and has been in use for a few years now on GWS, Futaba, Hitec, and Berg recievers. The problems I've had have all been onboard not from the Tx.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:56 AM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.bergent.net/antenna_field_test.html

As a pylon racer, I have used them for over 10 years without an issue (at least from what I could ever tell)

Kurt
Old 05-09-2009, 03:48 AM
kenhiraihnl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i interchangeably use a tm-7 2.4 module, and a synthesized module in my 9chps...when i remove the rubber duckie and use the tm-7, i put a cap on the duckie antenna base (the red plastic cap that comes with a glow igniter)...i've heard that rubber duckies are not the greatest for extreme range, but it works for my giant scale, hotliner, nitro and elec helis...i used to experience some lockouts/brownouts, but i attributed them to possibly the dirty rf environment (flying on an active marine corps base), together with insufficient voltage to the servos (cured by switching to 2.4 and lipo/a123 radio systems)...agree with andy, you'll likely find problems inside your airframe...otoh, you might recheck the installation of duckie hardware in your 9c...once, the am/fm radio in my toyota rav4 developed crappy reception...turned out the antenna was finger-loose...tightening it with a crescent took care of that...lol...ken