Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Connectors: Gold or Nickel plated???

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 07:48 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connectors: Gold or Nickel plated???

Greetings! I am wondering if (on my 40 sized planes) there is any need to be fussy about using gold plated connectors on the servo extentions, etc. (rather than the slightly cheaper silver colored ones)

Thanks for any input,

Ernie
Old 06-18-2003, 08:03 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

I'd say it really doesn't matter that much. The gold connectors resist contamination better, but it is a minor point.

Cheers
Old 06-18-2003, 08:44 PM
aksmithrc
My Feedback: (2)

The gold DOES NOT CORRODE ( it is about as chemically inactive as any metal or alloy one can find......that is why it is used in many connectors, leads to transistors, and IC leads) but, I have never had one of the regular (silver-colored) connectors corrode either. I suppose that the chemical activity of that plating material is such that it COULD, under certain conditions. I don't worry about it.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:07 AM
Lynx

Actually, gold is used on connectors because it has an almost adhesive quality to itself, it makes better low loss connections than most other materials, but only if BOTH connections are gold. BTW, ALL metal will corrode, just under different conditions, if well cared for it's almost irrelevent what you use. If you want high end low loss connectors, solder the suckers.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:26 PM
Ernie Misner

Thanks for the replies guys! I was hoping to hear that gold wasn't an absolute necessity.

About the corrosion, sometimes it is hard to resist flying in wet conditions. That just might make a difference.

Ernie