RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Best radio for helicopters and airplanes?

Old 03-26-2002, 04:08 PM
Sawyer692-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best radio for helicopters and airplanes?

I'm a plane pilot looking to get into helicopters this summer. I need to upgrade from my Hitec Flash 5x but I want a radio that will do both helicopters and planes. I know their are several out there and I also know helicopter radios will control airplanes as well as helis, but I want computer mixes for both. I've been looking at the Hitec Eclipse and the Futaba 9C series. What do you think?

Thanks in advance, Mike
Old 03-28-2002, 04:02 PM
Sawyer692-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Come on, can any radio buffs help me out?
Old 03-28-2002, 05:20 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

An 8103 or Futaba 9 would be worth looking at. I started out with helis on an Airtronics RD6000 (which has some really, really, unique features. It's the best 6 out there by far), moved up to a JR783, and now use a JR8103 (the best mid to high-end system out there, IMO). Just kept needing more channels.
Old 03-28-2002, 05:43 PM
Unstable

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the Fut 9c heli version and am really happy with it.

Right now I am setting it up for my hanger 9 piper cub that Im assembling and it has eveything I need (and more)

so the 9c is an excelent choice for both...

I dont know which version is better for you (heli or plane) it probably depends on your flying style

You can visit the futaba faq http://www.futabarc.com/faq/ for info about the diffrences between the heli and plane versions (mostly just a few swiches swapped to diffrent places and no ratchet on the throttle)

and any more info you need about the 9c you can talk to AM Cross in the manufactures sub forum

Im sure the JR is also good but I use futaba stuff so I woldn't know
Old 03-28-2002, 10:52 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My recommendation would be the 9CH or the closest JR equivalent. If you think you are going to take the helis seriously, it would be easier to set up your radio the same as other heli fliers to take advantage of their help. Buying the heli version of a radio gets all the switches in the right places for a heli. Since you already fly planes you would be using primarily the DR switches for planes and they are in the same place. Other switches are placed differently between the Heli version and the Airplane version.
When I was flying my nexus with my 8UA I had the engine kill on the spring loaded switch and idle up was on the switch in front of it. On my Giles 1/4 scale the engine kill was on the forward switch and I used the spring switch for snap rolls. More than once I've hit the snap switch to try to kill the engine in my Giles. Had I had the radio set up for an inverted capable idle up on the forward switch and pulled it when actually meaning to kill the heli that could have been dangerous. I just bought a 9CH and if I put planes on it none will be programmed for snaps! Actually I just came back from the field a half hour ago, having tested the 9CH in my Nexus.
Good Luck,,,basmntdweller
Old 03-28-2002, 11:40 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Hitec Eclipse compares very favorably to the higher end helicopter radios at a very affordable price.

For more info, check out: http://www.hitecrcd.com/Catalog/Air/radios/eclipse.htm

Mike.
Old 03-29-2002, 01:43 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 9c vs 8103

The 9C offers quite a bit over the 8103, and at a lesser price tag.

for a direct comparison of 9C to 8103, email to

support@futabarc.com

with

9cvs8103

in the subject and nothing in the body of hte email. the automated system will immediately email you the comparison.

The Hitec offers less features than the 9C but at a lesser price tag.

I would recommend a heli model to any pilot who intends to seriously fly helis with the radio.

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
Senior Manager, Proprietary Service and Support
Great Planes Model Distributors
productsupport@greatplanes.com
www.greatplanes.com
www.bestrc.com
Old 03-29-2002, 03:17 AM
MikeL

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Obscure and often unused features versus quality and a good, solid feel in the hands. Before you buy Futaba, hold and see a JR, then hold and feel a Futaba. You'll understand then.
Old 03-29-2002, 09:47 AM
amcross

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Respectfully, Mike, have you held and used the new 9C? I can't tell you how often we hear now that modelrs are leaving the 8103 for the 9C due to not so obscure features like:

* faster/easier programming with the dial for quick changes
* functional trainer mode where the student can fly, for example, a 10 servo aerobat with full mixing, etc, even though the student has only a simple 4 channel trainer box

etc etc etc.

As a former JR pilot, please let me say I loved my 8103 (the last radio I owned before I came to GP). It is a great radio! But the 9C surpasses it in functionality AND EASE OF USE in many, many ways.

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
Senior Manager, Proprietary Service and Support
www.greatplanes.com
www.bestrc.com
Old 03-29-2002, 12:24 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Don't overlook the Multiplex MC 4000
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/te...ers/4000Tx.htm

and later the Multiplex Royal Evo
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/te...s/Royalevo.htm

You will get everything the Futaba and the JR has to offer and a lot more.

Roger

Team ACM
Fiber Optic Servo Extensions
Forgues Propellers
Multiplex Dealer
http://www.aerografixs.com
Model-Scan Frequency Analyzer
Old 03-29-2002, 01:55 PM
MikeL

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by amcross
Respectfully, Mike, have you held and used the new 9C?
I haven't used it to any significant degree, but I did handle one in the hobby shop a couple weeks ago. Want to know how to win my business? Give me gimbals and switches that feel as smooth and solid as those on my 8103.

* faster/easier programming with the dial for quick changes
That might make the initial setup slightly faster, but I'm not out there making huge changes to my models once I've set them up. A few percentage points here, a few there. I don't need a dial to do that any faster.

* functional trainer mode where the student can fly, for example, a 10 servo aerobat with full mixing, etc, even though the student has only a simple 4 channel trainer box
You know, that might be a great feature for someone wishing to demo an advanced model to someone, but it simply isn't a selling point to me. I'm your average modeller. If I'm working with a student I get out my 6 channel box with an old 4 channel hooked up to it, and teach them on a plane appropriate for a student.

My reality is that most of my time with the radio is spent with it in my hands, and me flying one of my models. For that, I want the radio that feels the best. Obscure features that I won't use don't make the sale. They may be great for magazine ad copy, or for a side by side comparision, but they fall short when it comes to going out to the field and flying the airplane.

If someone's time at the field is spent in the pits because they can't get the settings right, then yes, they should choose a 9C.
Old 03-29-2002, 02:19 PM
amcross

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Interesting, Mike, I prefer the feel of my 9C gimbals to those on my 8103. I prefer the softer touch (which can be made stiffer with other springs), and I find them more fluid with less 'click' or notch to them.

And with the taller eyelets on the 9C, my 9C has taken 3 falls off my desk (the joy of working with radios all day in a tight office) and never broken one. (Not to say it never will!) Whereas I had to have switches replaced several times on my 8103.

As far as the trainer function, its very important when your student wants to fly a helicopter and use his/her own radio. Or when you're allowing a potential buyer to fly an aircraft you're selling but don't want to hand over control until they've handed over the check, etc. Or doing first flights for a nervous modeler with a new aircraft and easing him/her onto this complex, expensive new bird.

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
Senior Manager, Proprietary Services and Support
www.greatplanes.com
www.bestrc.com
NO AUTORESPONDER
Old 03-29-2002, 03:15 PM
MikeL

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I might have larger hands than you, AnnMarie, which might explain our difference in preference when it comes to gimbals. It's definately something people should try for themselves before making a purchase that they're likely to keep and use for some time. On that, I'm sure you and I would agree.

I disagree about the trainer function with regards to helicopters. I started flying helicopters in 2000, and really can't imagine using a buddy box. The problem there lies in relative stick position. I don't believe a buddy box can realistically be used to teach helicopters. I'm sure it's done by someone somewhere, but I've not seen it done myself and I don't think you'd find many heli pilots that would want to do it.

I make my own first flights.
Old 03-29-2002, 04:05 PM
Sawyer692-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks a million for all the info, helps out a lot! I know the Eclipse has mixes for both airplanes and helis. That is a feature I want. Does the Futaba 9C have the same features? I looked at a couple websites but theres not a lot of info. I want to be able to fly my planes and helicopters with the same transmitter and still have all the mixes for both.
Old 03-29-2002, 04:10 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The gimbal on the JR have a much better feel than any Futaba stuff....yes I only buy JR stuff, why pretty simple I pay for everything I used so I just by the best I can.

JR 10X.....JR 642

Daniel D.
Old 03-29-2002, 04:31 PM
Unstable

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Sawyer692
Thanks a million for all the info, helps out a lot! I know the Eclipse has mixes for both airplanes and helis. That is a feature I want. Does the Futaba 9C have the same features?
yes ... like I said I have my nexus and my cub programed into my 9c.. (and as soon as I get the transmitter module all my aircraft will be in there.)

it can do 4 heli swash plate types 1 aerobatic plane type (with a ton of mixes available) and 2 glider setups

here is the futaba site on the 9c
http://www.futabarc.com/radios/futj85.html

also check out towerhobbies site (pcm heli ver) it has a extensive list of all the features