Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: y-harness

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

y-harness

I have a Futaba 3FR fm radio. I am in the process of finishing a plane with aileron servos in the wings. will the y harness allow me to run both servos on one channel. Sorry to ask such a basic question?

Steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

y-harness

A 'Y' harness will distribute the same receiver connection to two different servos. The pulse signal it transfers to the attached servos will be exactly the same. So a 'simple' answer is 'yes'.

However ...

This is a simple solution to making two servos work from one channel. You might need a more complicated arrangement. For example, a servo in the right wing might need to operate in the reverse direction as the one in the left wing. The 'Y' harness will not make that happen since both servos attached to the 'Y' harness are handed the same 'pulse' changes. If you have a servo reversing switch on the transmitter and you change that switch then it will reverse BOTH servos which does not solve the problem. The solution here would be to take one of the servos apart and reverse the direction of that servo internally. This is somewhat complicated for most people.

If your system is set up so that you can plug in the 'Y' cable and you can adjust the linkage so that the correct travel will exist for each aileron then you can use the 'Y' cable without any major concerns.

If the cables going to the servos in the wings have a significant distance to travel (if they are LONG cables) then another concern would be that the long cables would pick up stray RF from other sources and cause control problems, generally 'gliching' movement of the servos. The solution for this would be the use some type of 'RF CHOKE' around the wires to attempt to eliminate the RF from traveling on the wires. These are generally found already existing in 'servo extension cables' commercially manufactured. Usually the 'RF CHOKE' looks like a small round ring that is made of special material and there is one on each end of the extension. The ring is called a 'TOROID'. The cables are wrapped around the toroid. These 'CHOKE' off RF frequency signals that may attempt to travel on the wires.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

y-harness

I use extensions up to 36 inches with no chokes. Don't worry about it. You won't have a problem.

Set the servos up so the arms on on opposite sides and your Y connection will do what you want.
    Fly it till the wings come off.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

y-harness

It's quite common to use Y-extensions for ailerons. Just set them up as mirror images of each other to get the right travel in the right direction. However, this won't work if you want Flaperon or Elevon funtions.

(click thumbnails for larger images)

or
    I try to learn from other people\'s mistakes...
    I won\'t live long enough to make them all myself.

Dennis aka Strato911
    MAAC 43408