Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Anything new from JR?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 01:47 PM
confuzshuz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anything new from JR?

I'd like to see something new from JR, like a 12XSE or something. They need some sort of rebuttal for other companies' products such as the the Airtronics SD-10G, which is one of the fastest radios available.

I was an Airtronics user (rds8000, excellent radio), but I switched to Spektrum dx7. I want a 12x in the near future, but I want a version that's faster than the SD-10G, and one with a digital throttle trim.

Who else wants to see a 12XSE?
Old 06-05-2009, 02:07 PM
PipeMajor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Anything new from JR?

I'm currently an X9303 user (used to use Futaba exclusively) and satisfied with that system. At one time JRoffered a fairly comprehensive line of radio equipment - yet now only offer the 9 and 12ch 2.4GHz systems. In a way, this does make sense since Spektrum has the 5-7 channel market. It appears the 2 brands are complementing each other rather than overlapping products.

For myself, Ihave no real need for a 12 channel radio and, except for the 4 servo wing of my Ultra Stick, I really don't need a 9 channel radio. I flew a 6 channel 72MHz Futaba while learning with my trainer (LT-40).

I have no problem with the JR analog throttle trim since I'm used to this setup for my idle and throttle kill functions. It's far easier for me to glance over at the throttle trim lever than it is to peer at an LCD screen (which I find sometimes very difficult to read while wearing polarizing sunglasses).

The current dedicated DSM2 systems are plenty fast for me. Otherwise we'll get into a "spec war" which is not unlike the PC wars a few years ago. You buy a top-of-the-line PC with the fastest processor available and on the way home from the store, you see a billboard advertising a just-announced newer model which is faster than the one still boxed up in your car trunk.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:20 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want a radio with assignable trim levers, so that I can do crossed trims. Very helpful when trimming a new race plane.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

I want a radio with assignable trim levers, so that I can do crossed trims. Very helpful when trimming a new race plane.
Most current upper levelFutaba transmitters have assignable digital trims. Presume you are wanting this in a JR as the thread started with a JR wish.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:18 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep. Nothing against Futaba, but in my hands, the JR transmitters are a little more comfortable. Prior to getting a 9303, Iflew a Futaba Super 7 for a few years with good luck. Before that it was square metal boxes. The proline competition radio had wheel type trims, with the elevator trim in the upper left corner where your thumb would find it easily, aileron trim on the left under the stick, vice versa for throttle & rudder (mode 2 radio).

It's great being able to adjust a trim lever easily without having to ever let go of the control stick you're adjusting trims on.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:02 AM
pilotpete2

If the SD-10G is half as nice as it looks, Futaba and JR are in for some serious competition
The speed or latency of these latest radios, DX7se, SD-10G have probably reached the point of diminishing returns. Will even the competition 3D heli pilots noitice a difference beyond this point.
Pete

Old 06-06-2009, 07:39 PM
zippom2

I know this is kinda off the discussion here but here is my question is a JR XP8103DT PCMa good radio for a newbee like me that has a Hanger 9 Arrow semi -symetrical trainer. 
Thanks
Zip
Old 06-06-2009, 07:57 PM
tadawson

Nothing wrong with an 8103DT whatsoever! It may be a bit slower than the current stuff, but as a newbee, you will never notice (and I doubt that many pilots who consider themselves "advanced" would notice either . . . ).

-Tim
Old 06-07-2009, 10:23 AM
zippom2

Thanks Tim.....................Zip
Old 06-10-2009, 07:45 PM
confuzshuz

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

If the SD-10G is half as nice as it looks, Futaba and JR are in for some serious competition
The speed or latency of these latest radios, DX7se, SD-10G have probably reached the point of diminishing returns. Will even the competition 3D heli pilots noitice a difference beyond this point.
Pete

Interestingly enough, I actually feel the difference between my Aitronics RDS 8000 and the Spektrum DX7. I didn't think I would feel it, but the Airtronics is noticeably faster. I fly both heli and planes, though, I'm new to flight. I prefer the Airtonics for the plane and the Spektrum for the heli.
The latency teststhat Airtronics has upshow that the SD-10G is one of fastest by afairly large margin over JR, with Futaba coming in at a close second. Even the Spektrum DX7SE is faster than the JR 12X. I would think that the flagship of JR/Spektrum would have the best numbers.
The upcoming SD-10G should be an excellent radio, but I still think that JRhas the best looking radios.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:44 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: confuzshuz

Interestingly enough, I actually feel the difference between my Aitronics RDS 8000 and the Spektrum DX7. I didn't think I would feel it, but the Airtronics is noticeably faster. I fly both heli and planes, though, I'm new to flight. I prefer the Airtonics for the plane and the Spektrum for the heli.
The latency teststhat Airtronics has upshow that the SD-10G is one of fastest by afairly large margin over JR, with Futaba coming in at a close second. Even the Spektrum DX7SE is faster than the JR 12X. I would think that the flagship of JR/Spektrum would have the best numbers.
The upcoming SD-10G should be an excellent radio, but I still think that JRhas the best looking radios.
Lab tests and numbers are all fine and well, but Quique Somenzini just won the World Pattern Championships with the JR 12X, and JR/Horizon spent plenty of ad money to tell us all about it. If contest winners at major events are winning with JRradios, then the technology is obviously good enough as is. If the 12X isn't being outperformed by other radios in real world competition, then the lab tests aren't really important, are they?

If a consistent pattern of radio equipment used by top helicopter pilots who win competitions emerges, it would be worth scrutinizing. So far, however, JR/Spektrum radio equipment seems to be just as competitive as Airtronics and Futaba.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:14 PM
confuzshuz

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

Lab tests and numbers are all fine and well, but Quique Somenzini just won the World Pattern Championships with the JR 12X, and JR/Horizon spent plenty of ad money to tell us all about it. If contest winners at major events are winning with JRradios, then the technology is obviously good enough as is. If the 12X isn't being outperformed by other radios in real world competition, then the lab tests aren't really important, are they?

If a consistent pattern of radio equipment used by top helicopter pilots who win competitions emerges, it would be worth scrutinizing. So far, however, JR/Spektrum radio equipment seems to be just as competitive as Airtronics and Futaba.
I think if you gave Quique an Airtronics, Futaba, Hitec,etc;he'd win just as well. I've never played with the 12X.I know it's faster than my DX7, but I just find it odd that the DX7SE a has lower latency than the 12X.Iwould assume the best numbers would be paired with the flagship radio.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:18 PM
GBR2

JR seems to have left the building as far as radios goes.  9303 and 12X, that is it.  I remember when they had a whole stable of models from 4 channel radios on up.  I wouldn't look for them to come out with anything anytime soon.  Not only is JR a very small company but they move slower than a snail in product development.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:33 PM
confuzshuz

Double post.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:07 PM
confuzshuz

ORIGINAL: GBR2

JR seems to have left the building as far as radios goes. 9303 and 12X, that is it. I remember when they had a whole stable of models from 4 channel radios on up. I wouldn't look for them to come out with anything anytime soon. Not only is JR a very small company but they move slower than a snail in product development.
I don't think they have "left the building." You gotta remember that JR and Spektrum are related. There's noreason for JR to compete with Spektrum in the sub-9 channel radio and vice versa. I find it interesting, though, that they've completely left the surface radio segment of the market. Although JR, alone, might be a small company, they are big in advertising and in thelarge competitions.
I think JR will have something up there sleeve, if not already. Airtronics, being a last mover in the industry, will probably take back a good amount of market share from their competitors. They were once very popular in the air radio segment, specially competitions. JR will need create more of an advantage over their competitors to maintain and strengthen their market share.

Basically, here is what I am getting to: For those of you who flySpektrum/JR and below, try flying Airtronics if you ever get the opportunity. Then Ithinkyou will understand why I'd like to see aJR radio with lower latency numbers.Keep in mind that this comparison must remain relative. DX7 and below, must be compared to the RDS8000. The9303 and 12Xmust be compared to the SD-10G.