Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

RDS8000: Dual Aileron EPA?? Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RDS8000: Dual Aileron EPA?? Please Help!

I can't seem to understand how to adjust the endpoints of the ailerons set up with independent servos.

I have 'flaperons' turned on. The PF channel endpoints only work for the "flaps", and the trim just adjusts the center point of the right aileron.

How do you adjust the endpoints individually?? My right aileron does not travel quite far enough in one direction causing a lot of yaw in my plane during rolls.

This is one part of the radio that is just not intuitive, at least to me.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: RDS8000: Dual Aileron EPA?? Please Help!

Joe, I'll tell you how I do it on my Futaba 9C and 10C. I'm guessing that the setup would be near the same.

I set both channels to 100% travel. I make sure that there is no expo or rates set, I then use individual sub trim to center the servos. From this point, I make all of the mechanical linkage setup adjustments. Once things are mechanicaly centered and the servo to horn ratios look right and I'm getting the throws I want, then I go back to individual end points and set up for the maximum throw I want. At this point both servos should be moving equally. If it is setup correctly, it doesn't matter if you swap channels when you plug in the servos. They will be matched. From here, I setup expo and high/low, or with the case of the 10C High/Medimum/low rates

Any sub trim you use has to be on the individual servo and same for end points. Once you get that seup in the begining, don't touch either or you are back to square 1

Hope this helps.

Don
Old 06-24-2009, 10:28 PM
Jetdesign

I understand the process, it's the radio I don't get:

The two servos are on channels 2 and 6, which are titled "Al" and "PF" respectively.

AL trim affects both ailerons and is what you would use to trim out the plane when you're flying. AL end point adjustment controls the total travel of BOTH surfaces. AL center works on one surface.

PF trim affects both ailerons and moves them both up or both down, as in adjusting flaperons. PF end point adjustment is only for flaperons, does nothing for ailerons. PF center works on one surface.

So, you can center each surface individually, move both ailerons up or down together, and adjust the total throw of both ailerons.

I don't see how you can independently adjust the travel of each individual aileron.

I hope I'm just missing something.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:04 AM
Campgems

Joe, Futaba has a FAQ page for each of their TX's answering questions like this. Maybe your tx manufacture has the same. I know that the complexity of these computer radios can really cause you greif, especially when it comes to complex mixes on the ailerons. I about lost a plane one day because the night before I had been playing with air brakes and flaperons. I though I had gotten everything back to normal and the next day, before flying, I double checked that all was well. Half way though the flight the plane started acting strange. It only progressivly got worse to the point I was astounded that I got it back on the runway in one piece. When I taxied back to the pit entrance, I noticed both ailerons were up by about 5 to 10 degrees. I had left a slider enabled and the check out showed every thing was as it should have been. However as I was flying, I kept bumping that slider with my right fore finger and each bump gave me a bit more up on both ailerons.

What i've ended up doing is when I have a basic setup for a model that works, I'll copy that to a new one then refine it for the plane in hand. This is a quick way out of the complexity, but it sure doesn't help you when you uncover a new issue as you have. I am ready for my second flight and hopefully my first landing tomorow with a 1/4 scale that I just aquired. I tried to start from a reset model in the programing and I just couldn't get it to work, so I coppied my old trainer setup which had the ailerons on 1 and 7 and I fine tuned it from there. It may be that you have a mix involved that you are not aware of, like my incident. Try just standing behind the plane and move the surfaces, flip each switch and move again, one switch at time. Each time move each slider and knob for ever switch transfer. I've taken to doing this when I'm not sure. It doesn't help me fix what is wrong, but it will let me know if a switch is doing an unexpected mix or if a surface moves different with different switch settings.

One last thing, I setup for flaperons, but inhibit the flap switch. That put Aileron 1 on Chanel one and Aileron 2 on Chanel 7. With this setup, each aileron servo is end point and sub trim independent from the other and only the trim on the aileron stick effects both. One more last thing. Make sure that the servos are sub trimed centered so the arm is 90 degrees to the push rod. This mechanical step is very important else you set up a ackerman type movement on the ailerons.

Good luck and let us know what the resolution is.

Don

Old 06-25-2009, 03:59 AM
Pippin

...I use the RDS 8000 too. In your case I would use AL DIF under ETC. That would elliminate any yaw. Set your wished EPA for both servos as usual and than go to AL DIF and set for example -20% AL DIF. Or +20 depending on your aileron mechanics. In my case I use -20 as it would reduce the trave of the AL going downwards.
Btw, CNT under AI and PF set the center point individually for each servo.

Hope that may help.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:15 AM
Jetdesign

Thanks for the replies.

I really am hoping to hear from someone who has this radio and knows how to set the individual endpoints for both aileron servos. I don't want to start using the differential until I have equal servo travel. I checked ATX' FAQs and didn't see what I was looking for. I'll try calling them later today.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Jetdesign

It can't be done[:@]

Hi Joe,

Unfortunately the EPA setting only effects the function, not each specific servo. There is no way to get separate EPA settings for each of the two aileron servos. You would need to make adjustments mechanically by moving your connection point closer in or further out along the servo arm.

-Farrell

Global Services
Old 06-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Campgems

Joe, unless you want flaperons or movement other than pure aileron functions, you might consider a JR match box. It will allow you to fine tune up to four channels driven off a single channel, individual reverse, and you can put a battery on just that bank of servos.

I am susprised that you can't do end point adjustment on a single servo,

Joe, I just downloaded the manual and it indicates that you can do EPA on Ch6, look at the chart on page 38. It indicates that it is a switch controled channel, so switch settings may be part of the problem In any case, I would try to set the ail epa where you want it and then see if you can epa Ch6 to match. I'ts just gota work.

Don
Old 06-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Campgems

Joe, how about trying Ch7 with a manual mix to Ch2 as master. I think you can get what you want that way. Kind of hard to tell without a TX in hand. Check C mixes on page 52. It won't give you flaperons though.

Don
Old 06-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Jetdesign

Using ch.7 as a mix might be an option. Unfortunately all mixes are either turned on or off with one switch, so I would lose my dual rates on rudder or lose the option of having a throttle to rudder mix.

The EPA on ch.6 only adjusts the travel of both flaps when activated.

I would not have bought this radio had I known this. Total bummer.

I'm not going to do a matchbox as this radio is history after the flying season, unless I can find someone to set up my servos? I'll check it out.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Campgems

Joe, I think I agree that I would be looking for another TX. My 9C and 10C have way more mixability than I'll ever use, but after trying to setup my Son's 6eax, I am glad I have the mixability that I have. I can setup dual rates with each individual surface on it's own switch. The 10C gets even more as you can setup a logic tree so combinations of switches decide which mix to activate. From what I see, the JR's in that price range are very good at the mixes also. Our club is about evenly split on Futaba and JR, with a few Spectrums thrown in.

Good luck with this.

Don

Old 06-25-2009, 09:17 PM
Jetdesign

Thanks don. I started with the 6ex a year ago, upgraded to the Atx for independent control of dual elevators, assuming that dual aileron adjustment was a gimme. 13mos and I'm looking for my 3rd radio. Will be sure to get the right one so that this is it. Luckily one of my planes has programmable hitecs. I hope to get the chance to spend some time with the next radio before I buy it. Unfortunately that's $600 that should be going to a nice new plane, but there will be more.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Campgems

I picked up my 10C about two months back. I've been looking at 2.4 and when I found a guy on Ebay, Mark Twain Hobbies, selling them for $50 less than Tower, and he was still giving the free second receiver, I couldn't pass it up. It figured out to be just $50 more than it would cost me to upgrade the 9C to 2.4 and I still had the ability to use all my RF modules and receivers on 72 with it also. The only issue with the 9C was a a slight missmatch on the split elevators. I'd never notice, but for $50, I could fix that in the mix, so I jumped on it.

Turns out that Futaba has "upgraded" the 10C and it is no longer modular. If you want both 72mhz and 2.4, you have to buy two. Glad I got in when I did.

It's great that you are outgrowing your equipment so fast. In reality, I could still use and old 4ch Conquest, other than I NEED expo and dual rates. I made the comment last week that I hadn't crashed in over a year and today the ground reached up an bit my plane. Repairable. Humm, Guess I could blame it on the new 10C 2.4 setup. but it was a fuel issue pure and simple.

Don

Old 06-25-2009, 10:26 PM
Campgems

Joe, here is a guy that want's your TX.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...tm.htm#8881097

Don
Old 06-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Jetdesign

Thanks, unfortunately I can't sell it 'till I have the ca$h to buy a better radio - this one's all I got!
Old 06-26-2009, 12:09 AM
RCGeckoman

Get the airtronics sd10-G. It has ore mixers and stuff than most people will use in a lifetime.

it wil lalso work with the RDS8000 RX as well.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Planeclothes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe, I don't understand why you are not getting equal travel (EPA) on channels 2 and 6. I mean, if your mechanical linkage is identical on both sides and you are using identical servos, EPA should be about the same for both left and right ailerons. I assume you are not using flaperons, meaning it is enabled but your PF channel's EPA is set to 0 for all 3 switch positions. I have an RDS8000 and have been using it on a FuntanaX100 and Yak 54, both with dual aileron servos. The only individual adjustment I use is CNT for both channels 2 and PF because that's all I need. This is an excellent radio for the price. It may not look fancy or have all the extras that more expensive radios have, but what the heck, right now they are selling it for $199 with 2 rx's. That is hard to beat.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:47 AM
Pippin

...I even use different servo brands on the ailerons and do not have any difficulties in setting up the 8000. Although I did never check if both aileron´s throws are the same way in and about 0,5° tolerance. My last JR Tx had EPA each aileron but still I only adjusted these roughly. Do you use GP AccuThrow or a similar tool?

And talking about another Tx, from your exp. I only would get the best one. My buddy got a 1000$ Futaba Tx and now wonders why he did not buy the 2500$ top end Futaba system.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:53 PM
e-sailpilot86

There is no way to adjust the individual servo travel without assigning the slave channel with a mandatory switch. You can use flaperon or spoileron. Endpoints are assumed to be equal for both servos mechanically.

I guess it depends on preferences and how advanced the model is. A few servos have dissimilar endpoints and that can be a good reason to either get a more advanced radio or programmable Hitec servos. I was lightly frustrated when I set up my model with dual ailerons on the RDS8000, but I figured my servos were mechanically equal enough that I just set the endpoints, went to differential, and set the 3-point flaperons to zero percent at all 3 settings.

I contemplated getting either an RDS8000 or a Futaba 10C, and I figure I really do not have any models that can benefit enough from a 10C, so I stayed conservative and sacrificed a few things that in the past actually got me into some trouble. I have the RDS8000 and couldn't justify the extra $300 plus the expensive receivers, my models simply aren't that advanced. I just don't need it, and I can convert more models to the new band by using the lower end transmitter.

I loaded up my 9C with every possible mix I thought I could use on a full house scale glider. Aileron to Rudder, aileron to flap, flap to aileron Crow, flap/spoil variable by setting the sliders or knobs while in flight instead of menus, Dual rates, activation via a switches on almost all of them. Everything was loaded, and I found myself disabling all those excess features for the second flight because it was just too much for my head to manage while flying, I just needed to fly and not think so much. On the 3rd flight, the tow plane got radio interference and augured in, and I was able to cut the towline and save my model. My radio setup wasn't as cool, but it probably saved me from being overwhelmed by going easy on the mixing.