Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Is my transmitter dead?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Marian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my transmitter dead?

Hi to all,
I have Futaba 6XAs transmitter and lately I have a strange problem with it. About two weeks ago, after six flights at that day, I turned my radio on and ALL servos were glithiching crazily. So in the following week I made a several checks with different receivers, with new cristal, as well as comparing the range with older Futaba skysport 4YF. Everything was OK, so I came to conclusion that it had to be interference.
But yesterday I experienced the same think. This time I had both transmitters on the field. Transmitter Futaba 6XAs: all servos glitching; futaba 4YF: NO PROBLEM at all.

In both cases the same scenario: I made 6 flights without any problems, than when I turn the radio on after aproximatelly one our, it does not work.
My idea is that it could be heat. The transmitter was pretty hot (it was not in the shadow). The outdooor temperature was about 35 ºC (98 º Fahrenheit)
I left it in shadow for 15 minutes and tried again. There was no glitching, but when I opened fully carburetor ... elevator and left aileron went slowly up till the maximum incidence. (???????)

Maybe the battery (NiCd) has something to do with it: it has more than four years, and has lost a lot of it´s original capacity. I am about to change it.
When I experienced this strange problem, the battery was fully charged and the display was showing 10,2 V.

Did anybody experienced something like this?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:11 AM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: Is my transmitter dead?

A fully charged TX battery should show 11.2-11.4 just after turning on the TX. After 4 years, especially leaving it in the heat, it's probably time for a new battery. Put that TX in the shade!!! [:@]

Dr.1
Old 07-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you did a good job of diagnosing your problem. Since the battery was still well into the usable range it should not be the problem. One thing you might check is that there is a good connection inside the transmitter chassis between the antenna base and the circuit board and check the solder connections between the board and the base of the antenna. You are most probably correct in that some component is being effected by the heat. If the transmitter has been used a lot with power on and the antenna collapsed, the output transitor could be damaged. If you can get a can of coolant (you can get an aerosol can in the USA at radio shack that cools whatever you spray it on) and spray the output stage while in use and it starts working okay again, you know you have found the problem.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:02 PM
R/C Skyjumper

Had a very bad glitch when turned on the 6X transmitter , went inside and all checked out , messed with the batt leads and ther was a bad connection in them and thing was stable when trans off but all servos glitch bad when trans on - Problem solved noe to program the fail safe and Co-Pilot