Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Help: FP-R4F Mode-II

Hi all,
    My name is Jason. I am a RC airplane beginner. I was given an old airplane. I try to make it work. I check and found out that I have a Futaba 72.320 mhz, 4 channel Receiver, model is FP-R4F Mode II. I saw the crystal is TX 72.320 as well. Does anyone know what channel for this 72.320 Mhz? What kind of battery do I use for this receiver?
    Also, if I want to use my FM radio, what do I do?
    Please help.
    Jason Nguyen
    nguyen_js@yahoo.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jason - I have bad news for you. That frequency is no longer legal to use. It is left over from before the change to the new frequencies in 1991. It is smack-dab in between channels 26 & 27.
    I try to learn from other people\'s mistakes...
    I won\'t live long enough to make them all myself.

Dennis aka Strato911
    MAAC 43408

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also, since that receiver used the old G-style sevo connectors, modern servos and batteries will not pug into it without modifications.

For the hassle of changing plugs, and knowing you're opperating on an illegal frequency with a wide-band transmitter (also illegal), you are best to bite the bullet and purchase a new (or used, but newer) radio system.

Sorry to have to break the news...

Dennis aka Strato911
    MAAC 43408

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dennis,
    Thanks for your response. That is bad news.
    As you said, I have to change receiver and servo and radio control to the new mordern ones right. Can I re-use the servos though?
    Jason Nguyen
    nguyen_js@yahoo.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jason,

Your entire system is basically obsolete. The servos would have to have all new connectors installed to work with a modern reciever, and the price of the parts and labor would be close to what you can buy new servos for.

The receiver is an old wide-band unit that is hazardous to use, and your transmitter would a wide-band unit that's currently illegal to use. Any upgrade would require you to purchase a new receiver, and it's also likely you need new battery packs for both the transmitter and receiver. By the time you start adding up all the costs, it's likely that a modern 4-channel system will be about the same price or even cost you a bit less.
    Bill Baxter, Manager Hobby Services/Futaba Service/North America
    3002 N. Apollo Dr. Ste. 1 Champaign, IL 61822 USA
    Service Phone: 217 398-0007
    Email: hobbyservices@hobbico.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Originally posted by aeropal
    If the transmitter has a buddy-box port, it may still work for a simulator controller
    The Rx was discontinued in February 1989 (Tx model not yet stated), which was LONG before trainer ports existed in RC equipment.

Jason - as Bax stated, you could re-use the servos if you change the plugs on them, but for the cost and effort, you can get stronger, more accurate, lighter, modern servos. When you order a radio as a complete system, it normally includes servos, and the cost is less than buying the parts seperately.

Dennis aka Strato911
    MAAC 43408

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry to disagree with Strato911, but Futaba had trainer systems in radios back in the late 70's and early 80's. The problem would be that an old system is most likely no longer compatible with modern systems.

The R4F receiver went out of production about 20 years ago, before the current frequency system was even implemented.
    Bill Baxter, Manager Hobby Services/Futaba Service/North America
    3002 N. Apollo Dr. Ste. 1 Champaign, IL 61822 USA
    Service Phone: 217 398-0007
    Email: hobbyservices@hobbico.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Originally posted by Bax
    Sorry to disagree with Strato911, but Futaba had trainer systems in radios back in the late 70's and early 80's. The problem would be that an old system is most likely no longer compatible with modern systems.

The R4F receiver went out of production about 20 years ago, before the current frequency system was even implemented.
    Well, I guess they only put them on SOME systems, because I never saw them 14 - 15 years ago when I started in RC. Perhaps I should have said before they were common place...

As for when you stopped producing the R4F, my information was taken directly from your FAQ's. You may have stopped producing it 20 years ago, but it wasn't discontinued (acording to your FAQ) until 2/89. http://www.futabarc.com/radioaccys/old-receivers.html

Dennis aka Strato911
    MAAC 43408