Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Increasing ESC power

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Increasing ESC power

Ok folks, stop me if I'm wrong.

I'm in dire need of an ESC that can handle a few more amps; however, I have very little money. I'm wondering if I could simply solder more transistors to my current 25A ESC and increase its current capacity. I know that this is possible as we used to do it with Walkera heli ESCs by piggybacking the little 4410 transistor ICs. Would it work with, say, an Electrifly SS 25A? As with the radio mods I asked about, I don't want to solder until I know it'll work.

If it can be done I'll be more than capable of doing the soldering.....
Old 07-14-2009, 04:34 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Increasing ESC power

For several reasons, you'd probably be better off selling the 25A ESC and using the money towards a larger one that suits your needs.

Larger transistors like you'd find in a 25A ESC have higher input capacitance than what you might be used to - and if the drive capability isn't there, simply putting more in parallel will slow down the edges of the switching waveform - slower edges results in higher power dissipation in the transistors, and you might end up with no gain in capability, perhaps even less, for all the trouble and expense of adding parts.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BP Hobbies sells a good 40 amp esc for about $23. It has a 3amp bec. I have 3 of them.
Edwin
Old 07-15-2009, 01:07 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=A0780192 A list of many BP Hobbies ESC's at reasonable prices. You should be able to find one that you like.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:44 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get one of those little fans for the computer PC chip and mount it on the ESC. Connect it to 5VDC and let it run. That will up the current capability quite a bit.