Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Need to upgrade Radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:54 PM
GVR-4579

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to upgrade Radio

Hi guys, looking for some input on a radio upgrade.

Current Radio isa 6Ax super. I just dont have enough channels anymore after buying my 30% extra. I am definatly plannign on staying futaba.

Have been considering either the 9c or 10c.

I have seen that some people are having elevator troubles with the 9c and dual elevators so i was wondering if i should eliminate that from my options and just buy the 10c.

So i guess im just wondering the distinct advantages of the 10c over the 9c other than the one more channel.

THanks!
Old 07-15-2009, 08:29 AM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Need to upgrade Radio

How do you use your radio now and how in the future? Are you going to 2.4Ghz or stay with 72Mhz? How many aircraft models?

I have a 9CAP, 9CHP Super, and a 10CG. I love them all, but each has its own qualities. I use a TP-FSM synthesized 72 MHz transmitter on my 9CAP, a TM-7 2.4Ghz module in my 9CHP Super, and the 10CG is a straight 2.4GHz system. I put a 64K CAMPac memory module in each one.

With more information from you on how you would be using your radios, perhaps I can assist you on your next selection.

Gary Graham
Old 07-15-2009, 09:22 AM
carrellh

This may or may not matter to you:
The 9C was discontinued shortly before the 10C was released. Any 9C you buy will be "old stock" or used. Futaba seems to service teir systems for a long time after they are discontinued so that may not matter.

This is from reading RCU, not from any personal experience:
If you plan to go to spread spectrum, putting a module in the 9C is 'slower' than the 10C. Exactly how much slower, and if it will even matter for your style of flying, I do not know. Search for "latency" and you will find hundreds of posts on the subject.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:42 AM
GVR-4579

I am hoping to get into IMAC, so i dont know if the "faster" 10c would be noticable there or not when going for more precision. Right now i have 6 planes. Two with duel elevator servos which is the main reason i need something better than the 6ax super. I am also planning in the future to get a helicopter. All of my flying now is just fun fly, but like i said am hoping to work my skills up to a competetive level. I do have digital servos in one of my planes and so far i think i will be sticking with them, they seem to be nicer. I do realise that a 9c will be used but i am never against finding something used in great condition.  As for the frequency, I am still not sold on 2.4, I know many many people use it and love it, but i think for the moment i am going to stay with 72mhz.

Hope this helps, Thanks!
Old 07-15-2009, 11:28 AM
DougV

Then I will just go for the 10C 72Mhz option. Later on you can just upgrade to 2.4 FASST at you're convinience by adding a module to it and still use your 72mhz gear with the same radio. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Hope this helps,
Doug.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:13 PM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

The TM-7 module is a translated signal so my models seem to have slower response than when I use the 10CG which is 100% digital. I believe the 72MHz 10C versions are now no longer available as of a couple weeks ago. I know I couldn't find them in the U.S. on eBay or Tower Hobbies. I think there were some I found in Europe. Everything in the U.S. 10C product line is now 2.4GHz as the 10CG in either the acro or heli default mode. That's why I kept my 9CHP Super with a TP-FSM synthesized module.

That's cool with me though because of the wide product line of Futaba receivers I have including the new R6014HS. I use the R617FS as my workhorse receiver.

As soon as I am very comfortable with my 10CG, then I will use my oldest 9CAP as a backup and stop using the TM-7 module in favor of the faster 10CG signal. So far the 10CG is very easy to program and in my opinion as intuitive as my old reliable 9C's. I really like the Futaba FASST systems, but also I have several friends that swear by JR and Spectrum radios. I think it's whatever you get comfortable with.

My 2 cents.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:14 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are planning to fly in contests you must remember that many are starting to require 2.4 GHz systems and this will only increase over time I believe. I'd have to recommend the switch to a 10C on 2.4 GHz now even though there will be some cost involved IF contests are in your future.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:37 PM
PipeMajor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Erik,

If you eventually want to fly helis, then by all means invest in a heli TX. My 9C is aircraft mode. Reasoning is it's far easier to fly an aircraft with a heli TX than a heli with an aircraft TX.

My JR X9303 2.4Ghz system is heli as well as my son's DX7 - and all we fly (so far) are aircraft.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:54 PM
GVR-4579

Thanks for the input guys.

Contests are requiring 2.4 now, hmm didnt know that, i guess i might as well save up and get a 10c with fasst then and slowly transition over from the 6ax to all fasst.

PipeMajor- I have never had a problem flying a heli on my 6ax super so im not so concerned about that,
Old 07-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

10C 72 PCM is still available and will be for some time. Suggest you go that route as it will be compatible with your current models. You can add the 2.4 module and receivers later and have the best of both worlds. Cast around on the web, some vendors still have stocks of the 10C with modular 2.4 included.

Some competition events are requiring 2.4 only. Personally I think that is a wrong thing to do as it limits pilot entries. I stopped competition long ago, got tired of egotistical CD's dictating what you can fly, even if it met all class and safety requirements. They are just getting too lazy to run a transmitter impound.

Some events I have spectated still required 2.4 be impounded along with 72. Boy, did that put the 2.4 owners panties in a wad!