Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

2.4 and battery use

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 06:15 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2.4 and battery use

Does 2.4 use or need more RX battery?
Old 07-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2.4 and battery use

No, but 2.4 is picky about clean power. It does not like voltage drops. There is a minimum voltage below which the receiver will reboot resulting in loss of control until the voltage recovers and the receiver is back online. The use of old batteries that cannot sustain the servo load, or bad servos or switches will cause problems. The most surefire way to prevent low voltage is to plug the receiver pack directly into the receiver so there is nothing to fail or cause a drop in voltage, and use a pack that can sustain voltage when under load. A larger capacity pack will not necessarily do the job if it can't sustain the load. A two cell A123 receiver pack can sustain large loads without voltage drops.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:21 AM
codimasta
My Feedback: (89)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[8D]The use of 5 cell packs work very well....2.4 receivers do not use much power..however..if you are using digital servo's the power requirement goes up..
use 1800 mah or greater packs will insure safety in flight.

Codimasta
AMA 11269
Old 07-16-2009, 04:37 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

If you use a battery that is sufficent for the application you'll be fine, same as any other radio system. Running 5 cell packs gives you a bit of overhead but they fly just fine on 4 cell as long as the capacity is sufficent.