Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How much longer will 72mhz be around?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:52 PM
jcccc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How much longer will 72mhz be around?

ORIGINAL: AB Bob

Five more years, tops. You won't be able to buy a new 72Mhz TX, and you'll be scrounging for repair parts shortly after that.....[sm=cry_smile.gif]
I think there are alot more years than just '5 tops', of life with 72mhz. Radio South will continue to service and repair 72 mhz gear. Willaims Brothers stopped making pinball machines about ten years ago and there all kinds of parts manufacturing and repair businesses that restore pinball machines.

RC had 7 years just to switch from wide band channels to narrow band.

jc
Old 10-22-2009, 12:37 AM
foxx
My Feedback: (2)

My problem is not that 2.4 is good or bad, this hobby is expensive and I can not effort to buy new radio and recievers each time a new FAD comes along. back in 80's and 90's we went through this , now it is all over again, do you remember the gold sticker on your radios ?. I have invested a good chunk of money on 72 pcm equipment now what am I suppose to do I tell you makes me really worried that now everbody salivating over 2.4. The radio manufacturers love this because they can fill the market with their new thousand dollars radio and recievers, but how about the little guy who stand to lose a lot if 72 goes away.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:40 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: foxx

My problem is not that 2.4 is good or bad, this hobby is expensive and I can not effort to buy new radio and recievers each time a new FAD comes along. back in 80's and 90's we went through this , now it is all over again, do you remember the gold sticker on your radios ?. I have invested a good chunk of money on 72 pcm equipment now what am I suppose to do I tell you makes me really worried that now everbody salivating over 2.4. The radio manufacturers love this because they can fill the market with their new thousand dollars radio and recievers, but how about the little guy who stand to lose a lot if 72 goes away.
2.4 is just more convienient and safer. You may just be a Sunday sport flyer but for everyone that flies in big fly-ins and competition, 2.4 is a no brainer.
I am sure you will be able to operate your equipment for a long time. It is not getting banned. It's value is certainly diminishing though. Just look at Ebay.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:40 AM
zero244

Fox I agree with you completely. I am just now moving into a 2.4 system. I will continue to use my existing 72mhz stuff.
I just hope 2.4 ghz works........and we dont have to move to another type system in five years.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:49 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the November 2009 issue of Model Aviation - page 149, Greg Hahn (AMA's technical director) wrote on this issue.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:29 PM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Would you mind paraphrasing Mr Hahn's statements, I wonder? I'm interested to hear all views on the future of 2.4 GHz in model flying.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:48 PM
foxx

I don't get the AMA magazine, so I don't what Gerg Hahn had to say, please post a summary. FCC has never been happy that the 72 mhz band is "wasted" by the modelers . If AMA stop supporting and fighting to keep 72 mhz band for modelers we will lose this band in a heart beat. I have no problem if the big boys like 2.4 , but if we lose 72 mhz the financial loss for people like me would be great.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:25 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hitec is just releasing it's modules compatible with almost all Futaba TX's. You can get a module and 2 RX's for around $150. That is a very good deal. And you can count on Hitec to produce inexpensive after market RX's. I do not think that dropping $50 here and ther is going to prevent anyone from enjoying their hobby. I am certainly not rich and I had around 20 72 mhz RX's. I just sold 5 on Ebay and only got around $5.00 a piece for them.
Really, there is just too much upside. Look at the telemetry aspect. You can now have your RX battery voltage sent back to your TX! How many airplanes will this save? It seems the only time I crash anymore is from losing RX power and that is just the beginning. 2.4 is the greatest thing to happen to RC since proportional control. I think it is time for you guys to move into the modern age. It really is not that expensive.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:22 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The writing on the wall in about five years there will very few 72mhz sets still in use and At some point I think we will loose the 72 band and I really
think it will happen in less than ten years.

As for me I use both 72mhz and 2.4 I dont plan to totlaly get rid of my 72 anytime soon but when we do loose the band my 72 gear will old enough
that it most likely wont be a big deal.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Yet, with many of the posts in this thread expounding how quickly 72mhz is disappearing and radio manufacturers are no longer importing anything in that frequency, we see where Hitec refuses to bring in the Multiplex line of 2.4ghz.

Go figger.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some fly in's for next year are allready advertising 2.4 only for next year. I made the switch 1-1/2 years ago with three planes and will never go back. No pins, no hassles. You cannot beat in with my installations. I think it is much safer than 72 since you do not have to worry about someone shooting down by turning on a radio.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:35 PM
ira d

I would venture to guess that Multiplex accounts for less than 10% of all
the radios sold in the U.S. and that is why they are not bringing in their
2.4 systems.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:14 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: ira d

I would venture to guess that Multiplex accounts for less than 10% of all
the radios sold in the U.S. and that is why they are not bringing in their
2.4 systems.
Well, I would imagine that, soon, Multiplex will account for less than 0% sold in the U.S. if Hitec has abandoned 2.4 for Multiplex.
The only thing left is for Hitec to make an "Official" announcement that they have dropped the Multiplex line of radios.

The first radios I bought when I got into the hobby 30 years ago were all Futaba, so I guess I'll go back to Futaba and will be contributing soon to the "Multiplex accounts for less than 10% of all radios sold in the U.S." thing.
Make that 9%... 8%... 7%.... 4%..... 2%.... 1%.... and......... nuthin'.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:34 PM
ira d

Well, I would imagine that, soon, Multiplex will account for less than 0% sold in the U.S. if Hitec has abandoned 2.4 for Multiplex.
The only thing left is for Hitec to make an "Official" announcement that they have dropped the Multiplex line of radios.
You are correct and I dont expect the Multiplex line to be around much longer here in the USA.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I fly both 2.4 and 72 mhz. I started out with a Kraft 69 series four channel and eventually went with the KP7C and a Signature series system. When Kraft sold, I sold my Kraft gear and went with Airtronics. I now fly both the Stylus ( 72mhz - CH 38 ) and RDS8000. I can no longer use my older 72mhz receivers, and only the top of the line 7 ch. 72 mhz. Rx will work at our field now. I get Rx glitches on my 3,4,6 and older 7ch. Rx., but with the cost of 2.4 gig receivers, it will take a while before I let go of my 72 mhz. gear. I ordered a 2.4 gig module for my Stylus six months ago when it was first advertised on Global's web sight, but the module for my Stylus never arrived...so I guess my Stylus Tx will eventually go the way of the dinosaurs...for Airtonics may never come out with a 2.4 gig module for the Stylus.

I have a module 7, Infinity 6, two Stylus ( all on 72 mhz. ) and one RDS 8000 Tx's. As you can see, I am deep into 72mhz. and Airtonics gear. I've three 2.4 gig receivers...four high end pcm Rx's and eight newer high end 7 ch. 72 mhz . I ended up flying my older models on 72 mhz. and my newer high end models on 2.4 gig. I've seen more radio loss crashes on 2.4 then 72 mhz. radio's ( Futaba and Spectrum), and most our club has transferred over to 2.4. Just a few of us old timers fly on 72, but as long as my 72 gear works...I'll fly it.

Cost is a factor, and until 2.4 gig Rx drop in price and get more reasonable for me to buy...I'll keep my 72 mhz. gear flying.

Soft landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

I do pray that the AMA will continue to fight for our 72 mhz. frequencies and just see where 2.4 gig systems lead us in the long run.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:44 AM
foxx

Bob I am in the same boat, I got top of line SPCM JR radio and recievers and they work great, but 2.4 ghz is new fad, I ordered the air module for my radio from Horizon because they offering a killer deal on the module and with one reciever, so you may say I am joining the crowd, but what I hear from other RC group is that the 2.4 recievers locks up using 4.8 volt battery, it really needs 6v or 5 battery pack, I don't know what your experience with 2.4 system has been so far.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:56 AM
Bob Paris

Hay Foxx,
I really like my RDS8000 and I fly two 60/90 class WWII fighters on 2.4 and my old standby .40/46 size ugly stick. All fly very well with my Airtronics 2.4 gig gear and very happy with the performance and ease of setting the Tx up. The Stylus is a pain in the butt to set up, but the RDS8000 is about as sweet and easy as can be to rig a model with. I've about a years flying with the RDS8000 and I use their two basic servo's, the 94102 and 94322's. I've all good to say about my experience with the Airtronics 2.4 gear...accept when I leave the RDS8000 Tx in the sun...the RDS8000 screen goes all black...but it clears up quickly once removed from direct sunlight. Surprising...my Stylus Tx screen never goes dark in direct sunlight.

I do hope that we are able to utilize the 72mhz band for many years to come.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 11-08-2009, 11:26 AM
foxx

It sounds like your Airtronics screen is heat sensitive . I started out with Airtronics then moved to Futaba, and finally now I use only JR equipment. May be people who use digital servos get in trouble with 4.8 V batteries, I really don't know ,there has not been not much discussion about this subject here. Enjoy the sunshine in Maui, it started getting cold here
Old 11-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Foxx,
Yes the screen on the RDS8000 is light sensitive, at least my Tx is. I now use only 5 cell SR Ni-cads in my models and I find I not only get better resolution with my servo's but faster response.

I went flying today at our Pu'unene flying field...and toasted my K&B .61 twister. Its an old and well run engine...with over 300+ flights on the model and engine. I was in a 200 ft. dive and the piston seized into the cylinder...broken crank ect. I got the model down ok, and I can get a new engine from MECOA for under $80.00 with the old broken engine on a trade-in...sweet. Its a great engine with a five year run before it gave up the ghost.

Weather here was gorgeous, with 82' f. and light winds all morning.

Soft Landings always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 11-08-2009, 08:16 PM
bigedmustafa

I hope that 72Mhz will be around for a long time to come. I've been flying Airtronics 2.4Ghz for over eighteen months now, and I'm thrilled with the quality and reliability. I decided to take the plunge into 2.4Ghz simply because my Futaba 7CAF radio was full with ten models in memory and I had an eleventh and twelfth model ready to fly.

My 72Mhz gear has always been reliable, and I still fly it regularly at both indoor and outdoor flying venues. I've been taking advantage of bargain prices on high quality 72Mhz gear lately, and I've purchased several Hitec Supreme IIs and Mini 6s receivers. With high quality receivers selling for as little as $19.99 for the Mini 6s and $24.99 for the Supreme IIs, they're great options for projects that don't require state-of-the-art radio gear.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:31 PM
RonP

We have a similar situation here in the UK - the mad rush to change to 2.4 systems means 35MHz usage is dropping off and the stuff is going for a song. I have never had a problem with my 35MHz JR PCM radio so I am sticking with it.

My own view is the 2.4GHz band is bound to fill up. Here in the UK, a 2.4GHz system does not need a licence if it is below 100mW output. Therefore they are being used everywhere - Imagine every Industrial and Domestic electricity, Gas and water meter each having its own 2.4GHz comms link. This technology is being developed now.

In the UK, any power above 100mW requires licensing - ie the 2.4GHz Amateur Radio band can use hundreds of watts and with the availability of cheap 2.4GHz subsystems, whose to know how many Amateurs will be beaming RF across your flying field.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:47 PM
jcccc

ORIGINAL: foxx

I don't get the AMA magazine, so I don't what Gerg Hahn had to say, please post a summary. FCC has never been happy that the 72 mhz band is ''wasted'' by the modelers . If AMA stop supporting and fighting to keep 72 mhz band for modelers we will lose this band in a heart beat. I have no problem if the big boys like 2.4 , but if we lose 72 mhz the financial loss for people like me would be great.
I don't know where you get the idea that the FCC 'has never been happy' and '72 band "wasted" ' by the modelers. The FCC agreed to allow modelers use a section of 72Mhz, narrow band. The advent of the use 2.4 ghz and 5.8 and 900 frequencys leaves the 72Mhz less desireable by other industies.

And why don't you get the AMA magazine? You are not a member of AMA? You are worried about the 'financial loss for people like me"? How about your financial loss if you injury someone with your RC plane? Do you have really good insurance to fill the gap that is filled by AMA membership insurance?

To sum up what Greg Hahn wrote in the AMA magazine...'there have been no attempts to ban'..... 'by the FCC or any other government pertaining to our use of 72mhz'. Also, he indicates that there has been 'no talk of completely eliminating that type(72mhz) of equipment.'

jc

Old 11-10-2009, 06:17 PM
stevenmax50

I will be getting the Airtronics RDS8000 for Xmas.  If any of you have any info about the servos it would be greatlt appreciated.  I will be building a Tiger 60 with retracts and I have not decided on the servos yet.  For that model I do not believe  digital servos are necessary and I will be trying to save a buck here and there so any advice on which servos would be adequate for this application would also be very helpful.  The previous postings dealing with batt voltage issues was the first I have read on this issue.  Can anyone clarify this issue for me? 
Old 11-10-2009, 06:41 PM
foxx

Jccc,
I have built and flown RC planes for close to 30 years now, but I have been out of the hobby for the past few years due to illness. My membership to AMA has laplsed. I am trying to inch my way back into the hobby again. The club I was a member does not allow anybody to fly without AMA membership.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:49 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

As far as servos go look at the JR sport 126. 140oz at 6v. Now on to the battery issue with 2.4. All 2.4 receivers have a computer chip in them that need X volts to operate. Go below that voltage and you loose control. All of them recommend 5 cell batteries now. With 72 radios the voltage could drop and all that happened was a slowing of the servos, but not now. Put as much MA as you can in the plane and watch the voltage with a loaded volt meter. Never fly with the battery at 6v under a load. Most all GS and Jet flyers have already moved to the A123 type of battery. With the new systems you must watch your battery much closer and take better care of them. Dennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.