RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

What was your first Radio?

Old 03-10-2003, 10:10 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What was your first Radio?

My first was a futaba FP-6-FN tan metal case radio with silver gimals on ch 72.080 Mhz. I still know where it is and am trying to get it back. He is actually still flying with it. He has my second radio which is the same, but with the black gimbals on 72.320 Mhz. He still flys that one too. Gotta work to get them back. I don't want to fly them, just display them in my case.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:30 PM
airasj

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does anybody remember the Digitro and Classic radios that were construction atricles in RCM?

Learned to fly on a Classic with home made single stick from Digitrio construction article. Still have it and it still works.

Attie
Old 03-11-2003, 03:43 PM
skypupmut

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default old radios

My first radio was a controlair mule tx with relay receiver and os single ch servos on rudder and throttle 1965 in a Sterling Monopcoupe with .35 o/s then added a pulser and rand LR3 for Gallopping ghost lots of flights with this and many batteries used
then built a RCM digitrio (wow propo and radio glitches only once in a while )
then a Cannon 5 kit many hundreds of flights (real good and still working but on 27 mz on display shelf now along the Mule)
then a Cirrus 900-xlc on ch 54 am over a thousand flights on it
now using a tetra FMA rx on funflys and E small atuff
Hitec Prismz 7 well used case worn shiny used daily in summer
now Hitec Eclipse 7 full plane memory and a daily user also
fun fly to 1/4 scale gliders and E stuff
also have a couple Futabas used as trainer boxes and
bring along trainer types just in case
Old 03-12-2003, 03:16 PM
skypupmut

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I built a Digitrio in 1967-8 put a lot of hours on it first in a Sterling Monocoupe ( was on Gallopping ghost before )
then in a modified Tri Squire hundreds of flights
radio was prone to glitching but quite good for its time
better than some others only 3 channels but had a kit to make it 4 ch never converted it sold the radio to a boat modeler and still have the 4 ch mod kit
Old 03-30-2003, 04:59 AM
Crazy Legs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default My First Radio

My first radio was a 10 channel Orbit Reeds radio that I bought from a friend for $25.00 in 1970. I was so excited when I got it! I went down to "Larry's Hobby" on Jericho Tpk. in New York and told Larry about what I just bought. When I told him how much I paid for the radio, he said "What's it a Reeds Set?" and started to giggle a little. He then explained that it was a little obsolete by the day's standards, but he still helped me get it working. Larry was a Model Airplane genius! We optimized the reeds operation by turning all these controls inside the transmitter right there on top of his glass display case. Shortly after that I got a paper rout to save up for my first "real" radio, a Kraft Sport Series, which cost me about $300 back in those days. I bought this new radio from Larry's Hobby and later on, after I built my Dumas Evolution 2, Larry actually met me at our L.I.R.K.S flying field to help me learn to fly it! What dedication he had to his customers. I now fly using a Ace Silver 7 which was updated to a Micropro 8000. I love the Auto-Trim feature. This radio is over ten years old now but still ticking.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:20 AM
XJet
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Wayback when...

Does anyone remember the OS Pixie single-channle super-regen single-channel gear?

I bought one way back in the 1960's (it cost an entire year's lawn mowing and other earnings for a keen 11-year-old), complete with two compound rubber-driven escapments (rudder and throttle).

Surprisingly enough, I still have it, the boxes it came in and the single page of printed instructions -- and it still works like a charm.

I was thinking of putting it on eBay to see what sort of price it would fetch and maybe, one day, I will.

After that I built my own two-channel galloping ghost set that I used for a couple of years.

About this time, most of the other fliers at my club were using either Micro Avionics or RC proportional, Orbit reeds, Controlaire Mule or MacGregor single-channel sets.

Later on I bought one of the very early Futaba sets -- the one with the anodized silver case and angled transmitter aerial. It also had servos with two linear racks -- it was a great radio and I used it for many years without any problems.

More recently I bought a couple of the early JR PCM systems and helicopters, then a JR 8301 PCM system. I've now sold all of these and just picked up a Hitec Eclipse 7 with Spectra module and some Hitec servos and FM receivers.

RC equipment has sure come a long way. It's now infinitely more reliable, far cheaper and just a tiny fraction the weight. Thank goodness!
Old 03-31-2003, 05:02 PM
IronCross

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My first radios were the Kraft "Sport Series" installed in Sterling Fledglings. Still have the radios, wish I had the planes.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:21 PM
GIFLYRC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi gang, didnn;t see my first listed so here it is

Single channel METZ bought in Frankfurt Germany in 1960

It was on 27 mhz and had 3 selectable tone channels of 400-800-1200 cps ( one at a time ) but te tone seperation allowed 3 planes to fly together on the same rf freq, that was quite a feat in 1960!

And here is another shocker, it was not crystal controlled It was controlled by a tickler coil and was very reliable

I hated to leave it behind when I rotated back to the US but it was not leagal here without a crystal

Roger Aka GIFLYRC
Old 04-01-2003, 05:32 PM
UNLDAVE
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default age 11

Hi, All,

How about a Bonner Digimite 4RS? My dad and I flew a Skylark 56 witha Super Tiger .23 and this radio . We also had a really cool sailplane that my dad built almost from scratch called a Mistral that we flew @ Sunset state beach here in CA.
We had the old White/Brown 72.080 mhz. and those cool push pull Bonner servos. If I remember right, the radio was close to 400$ in '67-'68 That was veryexpensive in those days!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	67400_2182.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	5106  
Old 04-02-2003, 12:04 PM
propeller

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello
I started out with an OS Cougar AM radio, followed by a Simprop SAM FM Senior. I Now use an old Simprop System 90. The Simprops are great radios, but even the System 90 with its 24 model memory is beginning so get a bit old and was not built with modern 3D flying in mind. Cant get hold og that computer interface cable.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Renegade_2k
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default First radios...

Wow..

Brought back some memories reading this! I started flying R/C in 1972, and my first radio was the Heathkit 5 channel, with the blue metal case, and those HUGE servos that had rotary AND linear outputs! This was actually built by a good friend of mine, who also helped me a bunch while learning R/C. I later sold that radio, and got a Kraft Series 74 single-stick. This one had the KPS-15 II servos. I still have this radio, but it is safely packed away. With some fresh batteries, I'm guessing it would still work!! I learned on a Sterling Fledgling with an OS 40. Currently, I fly a Futaba 8UAP, using it in Heli mode. Have several older Futaba radios and one of the newer Kraft (Krapft??) as well, all gathering dust...

Reading this, and seeing some of the old airplane names, made me wish that someone would begin re-kitting some of the popular older designs. I recall the Mach 1, TigerTail, and the Banshee as 3 of the pattern kits that I always wanted to build, but when I got out of the service in 1982, those were long gone. Those were sleek looking aircraft!

Harry.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:27 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I get fits of nostalgia sometimes, reading these threads. I had a Tiger Tail, and a Banshee, w/a Kraft 5ch. Sport series, and KP7C. That was around '75-'76, and still have 'em...Also have a Hobby-Lobby 5, remember them? Made by EK, w/the servo amps built into the Rx.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:27 PM
warham

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: What was your first Radio?

Kraft solenoid controlled wig wag, I think one might be laying around here somehwere
Old 01-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Mark Worthington

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mine was an EK Logictrol 4-channel LRB that my parents gave me as a Christmas present in 1976. It went into a Bridi RCM Basic Trainer with Fox .19 RC that I had already built and that was awaiting a radio. I also remember seeing Ted White fly his Aeromaster at a model show in Dallas...he was amazing and I'll never forget the thrill of watching him put his Aeromaster through the paces.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:34 PM
Silent-AV8R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: First radios...

Orbit reed set. Never flew it. First radio I flew was a Cannon on 27 megs. Crashed every time a CB fired up within 2 miles of the field. Had it in a Goldberg Falcon 56 with an OS .35. I think it weighed in at 15 pounds by the time I got done "learning" with it . Circa 1968.[&:]
Old 01-02-2005, 02:08 PM
The PIPE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dear Bob Laine:

The PIPE here once more...author of the threads at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Buil..._302053/tm.htm AND, much more recently, at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/A_ne...2447473/tm.htm ...so you'd HAVE to know that I've been a KNOBBY box person ever since I started in RC way back in 1977!

My first radio was a brown vinylclad case Heathkit "Pack-17" five channel knobby box, with the Kraft-originated plastic knob/machined aluminum backshell rudder knob setup, that contained an ENTIRE "RV6" style mini pot within the metal backshell. I started using it...in the midst of the "good buddy" CB radio craze in 1977...ON 27.045 MHz...so it was NO wonder I was having RADIO PROBLEMS from the start, until I changed it to 72.080 and 75.640 MHz (brown./white and green/white frequency flags respectively)...THEN my problems with the RF link seemed to calm down noticeably. But the VERY PRIMITIVE system charger that came with that radio system was FRYING the 500 mAH AA NiCad cells in both the Tx AND airborne packs "over and over again", so a change to one of the Ace RC wall wart system chargers ended THAT nonsense for keeps. I still have the CASE for that old Heathkit transmitter...a MicroStar computer encoder upgrade for THAT one (as well as one of Marv Jensen's JR-style Zytel plastic hollow-shaft joysticks for knobby box use) is very likely...and the closed metal gimbal joystick for that one IS also long gone, and I'm GLAD it's gone as it was one of those MECHANICAL trim Kraft joysticks (that moved the control pot a small bit for trim on the aileron and elevator channels)...a PRIMITIVE solution to say the least! I may even have the old rudder knob assembly around somewhere as well for the old Heathkit...I could reuse that with a new RV6 style pot mounted in it, with the JR-style Zytel joystick I'll be getting for that old Heathkit case.

An Ace RC Digital Commander knobby radio on 53.1 MHz was my first Ham band RC Tx, after I passed all the tests (Novice AND General written tests, and the 5 WPM Morse code tests in 1978) for my first Technician class Amateur Radio Serice license...its control mechanisms got used for the first of my pair of now-retired Ace Silver Seven knobby radios that I had built in the very early 1980s, which were using 53.1 and 53.4 MHz Ace AM RF decks (those I still have as well)...and at Post No.57 in the first linked thread you can check out the photos of my latest (and FIRST example, of what could be some HALF A DOZEN of these!) MicroStar based homebuilt knobby radios!

With the Heathkit knobby case refitted with a MicroStar encoder and with all new control mechanisms, the first two "initial" MicroStar based knobbies (to be both operational by the end of 2005), a further THREE ProLine knobby box cased MicroStar conversions (for a total of SIX owner-built knobby computer radios), and the pair of Ace RC Silver Seven rigs restored to operating condition (with new wiring AND joysticks in them) I'll end up having a total of EIGHT knobby radios of various vintages and makes for my needs...and should I ever meet the RIGHT lady someday who might think that RC might be fun to at least TRY, she'd get to use the Heathkit knobby cased MicroStar for HER training. I'll even help her study to take the written test for a Tech-class Ham license of her very own...so buddy-box training with two MicroStar radios can AVOID the "Ain't I a Stinker" rule for Ham RC that prevents ANYONE other than TWO Hams from flying a buddy box rig on 50 MHz (unless my upcoming efforts at REPEALING that stupid rule...which is NOT in the FCC Part 97 Ham regulations...bear fruit!) will not be a problem.

So with more than HALF A DOZEN possible knobby radios in my hangar before 2010, I'll be WELL set for the rest of my lifetime for knobby radios...which IS all I'll EVER fly with!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 01-02-2005, 04:16 PM
Ben Lanterman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had a World Engines single stick radio but as with all radios of that era the sticks were a little sloppy. I did fly it for several years but since I was flying in novice the rudder just got used one time. I don't think there were any good stick assemblies (Proline being the exception) until they went away from the Bonner and the like. Bonner's were probably the worst.

The modern stick assembly in its various forms is so tight and nice it would be interesting to see what a single stick would look and feel like. It is interesting, the game controller that I use on a F-15 simulation uses a stick assembly system like the Futaba, etc., just a little bigger.

I do, however, think that more precision can be obtained with a dual stick assembly, using fingers and thumb on sticks and the transmitter on a tray (neckstrap is OK) - although a lot of guys would disagree.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:54 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can't recall if my first radio was an OS Pixie or a Cox Sanwa. It was 2 channel and looked sort of like a walkie talkie and was blue. Tried to fly it in a Goldberg Skylark Jr. Second radio was a MicroAvionics 5 channel, tried to fly it in a Mambo Special and a Little Stik. This was 1970 or 71. Finally learned how to fly in the late 80's with a buddy box on a Futaba 7UAP. This hobby sure has come a long way.
Sam
Old 01-03-2005, 01:46 AM
ChuckA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

First radio was a Berkley Airtroil in 1953. Never had much success until I built a Lorenz two tube radio with Southwest actuator for pulse proportional. Skipped the reed era and bought a Microavonics for a month's take home pay in 1967. Graduated to Proline int 19669 and Micropro in 1993. Now fly Evo.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:40 AM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My first radio was a JR Quattro J-line with an R700 pushing 4 537's
Old 01-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Zafer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My first radio is a Graupner MC 12 (still using), followed by Futaba 9VAP ( never felt comfortable with ) and using the last one \ Graupner MC 19 now.

Regards.

Zafer
Old 01-03-2005, 03:57 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My first transmitter was an Army surplus ARC 5 tank transmitter which I got from Fair Radio Surplus in Lima, Ohio for $15.00. It used a dynamotor with two 12 volt batteries giving 24 volts to supply the high voltage. The dynamotor cost more more than the transmitter. It had a dipole antenna on the end of a 6' mast. It was on 50.120, more or less, and I tuned it for about 5 watts cw output. If things got dicey I could run it up to about 90 watts as long as the batteries held up. It had a 6' coil cord with a push button. I could also put a key on it and send Morse on 6. Receiver was a two tube homebrew and the escapement was a Babcock. Plane was an Esquire with a K & B 15. The receiver batteries added so much weight that you could almost walk faster than it would fly with the 15.

Second radio was an adventure with a CitizenShip 465 mhz single channel tone system. It was a pretty good radio, but you had to point the yagi antenna at the plane all of the time. It was in a DeBolt Rebel with a K & B 19. It had a cascade escapement with quick blip for high or low throttle. Moved back to 6 meters with various modified and homebrew systems for galloping ghost, reeds, single stick (the best way to go) up to the JR 10X that I use today on 6. Old times were an adventure, todays systems are fun.

Forty-eight years of RC madness.

Rich
AD9V
Old 01-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Ben Lanterman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's an indication of how stubborn some of us old timers were. I knew we had to get to today's gear someday, I am just sad it took so long. Sure broke a lot of airplanes on the journey to here.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Herb Brown
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Started flying R/C in 1963 with an F&M 10 channel reed rig in a Mighty Mambo powered with a Veco 45. Didn't have anyone around that flew R/C, so I trained myself. It took a looooong time to get reasonably proficient ( and lots of patching and repairing practice ).
It was fun then and fun now. The radios these days are wonderful. Took me a long time to stop pulsing the sticks after switching to proportional radio. Still learning new things
--------------------------
Building is fun. Maintenance is a chore.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:45 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Renegade-RCU

Wow..

Reading this, and seeing some of the old airplane names, made me wish that someone would begin re-kitting some of the popular older designs. I recall the Mach 1, TigerTail, and the Banshee as 3 of the pattern kits that I always wanted to build, but when I got out of the service in 1982, those were long gone. Those were sleek looking aircraft!

Harry.
You can still get plans for each of those.

My first system? EK Logictrol III 5-channel with the open gymbals, trims on ail, elev, and rud, only. In '69, they'd gone to the 3-wire servos. All Futaba now! (natch!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service