Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

What was your first Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 04:33 PM
rv9apilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first radio in 1974, I was 15 yrs. old, was a Heathkit 5 channel.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:02 AM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

1962 it was a Bramco 3 tube regenerative (Made in the Detroit area). It was in a Hal Debolt Champion. I was 12 at the time. Never got to fly that but I did see it fly.
Fast forward to the Min-X radio September of 1970. A min-X, also made in Detroit with Rand Galloping Ghost actuator in a Goldberg 1/2 A Jr Falcon. The engine was a Cox Golden Bee. Soloed on that plane. Moved on to Kraft radios during the 70s then to Pro-Line. Presently have about 28 Futaba radios, all but one are on 50mhz ham radio.frequencies. I do have a single 2.4 giggle-hurts Futaba 10J that sits at home on the shelf.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:14 PM
rcacro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I had one of the Bramco receivers. about 1958 or 1959. Worked very well. Actually built a copy or three of it to replace ones damaged in crashes. The transmitter used was based on a design by Walt Good to which I married a copy of the modulator circuit used in the Bramco transmitter. Met the owner of Bramco (Bannister?) several times at RC events in the Detroit area.
First Radio was a Berkley Aerotrol transmitter and Miller single tube receiver and Bonner escapement. Still flying Rc models using mostly JR equipment the last 30 years.
John Wisniewski

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
1962 it was a Bramco 3 tube regenerative (Made in the Detroit area). It was in a Hal Debolt Champion. I was 12 at the time. Never got to fly that but I did see it fly.
Fast forward to the Min-X radio September of 1970. A min-X, also made in Detroit with Rand Galloping Ghost actuator in a Goldberg 1/2 A Jr Falcon. The engine was a Cox Golden Bee. Soloed on that plane. Moved on to Kraft radios during the 70s then to Pro-Line. Presently have about 28 Futaba radios, all but one are on 50mhz ham radio.frequencies. I do have a single 2.4 giggle-hurts Futaba 10J that sits at home on the shelf.