Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Sailboat with Kraft radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:22 PM
jphart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sailboat with Kraft radio

When a friend of mine passed away his widow gave me a Fairwind sloop that was almost completed but was 8 to 10 years old. Dave used to fly so he installed the receiver and servos from an old (late '70s) KPT-5, 75.640 MHz Kraft. Questions: Is this a broadband set that shouldn't be used due to splashing over to other frequencies? All the servos in the kit are 90 deg. is it possible to convert one to 180 deg. or are any current servo/winches compatable with the old Kraft system. I have newer equipment for my other boats, but I'd like to use what Dave installed for several reasons. These questions were also posted in the RC sailboat forum, but I moved it due to lack of responses.
j.p.hart
Old 08-27-2009, 12:11 AM
freeair

Default RE: Sailboat with Kraft radio

can,t help with the frequency issue in your country but you may need to buy a winch servo, any available servo will be OK for the Kraft Radio as long as you use the original plug end plus correct polarity of the wires. Kraft Radio is a great set.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:48 PM
KB9STD
My Feedback: (1)

J.P. Your friend may have been cofused and thought it was OK for use in a boat,Because it is on a 75mhz frequency.75.640 is indeed one of the old,"Wide Band" frequencies,whose use was disallowed in 1989. It falls between 2 of the current surface frequencies(75.630 and 75.650).So,it is only half the distance from the current frequencies,as they are from each other.The radio is not allowed to be used without changing the frequency(probably not cost effective),and would certainly interfere with radios on surface channels 72 and 73,and them with You.I can't help with with the servo question,But You can't use that radio anyway.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:16 PM
jphart

To: KB9STD
Thanks for your advice, I found a receipt in with all of the paperwork included with the radiofrom Kraft Midwest Inc. for converting the radio to the land freq. CH 68/75.550 in 1993. Can I assume that Dave knew what he was doing and the radio can be used?