Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Is my 9CAP going to be a dinosaur?

Old 09-01-2009, 02:08 PM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my 9CAP going to be a dinosaur?

I have a Futaba 9CAP that I love and it has given perfect service,but with everything going to 2.4,I'm wondering how long I can keep a 72mhz system.I really don't want to invest $1000.00+ in a new system and receivers to outfit 5 planes.Where we fly,there are never more than 3 or 4 planes at the field flying,so congestion is not an issue.Thanks
Old 09-01-2009, 02:20 PM
JustErik

Default RE: Is my 9CAP going to be a dinosaur?

It's already in dino-land. Package it up and send to me for proper disposal.

Seriously though, my 9C is the best radio I've ever owned. As long as it's legal and in good working order, I'm in no rush to replace it. Heck, don't you love to see a '57 Chevy cruise by on a sunny Saturday afternoon? Nothing wrong with running a classic.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:06 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't use it at the Nall next year. I heard they are going 2.4 only. I wonder if alot of events will swing the same way.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:11 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy a 2.4 module set for it also you can use the module on the 10c and
some other Futaba radios if and when you replace the 9c.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:12 PM
pilotpete2

Why not get a 2.4Ghz module for your 9C. Be advised, once you fly on 2.4Ghz you won't want to switch back to 72Mhz.
I have a FASST module for my larger planes and a Spektrum module for the parkfliers and BNF stuff.
Pete
Old 09-01-2009, 03:43 PM
carrellh

No one knows if/when the 72 mhz band will be taken away from the RC community. Most do believe it will happen though. When it is announced, it is likely that we will have a few years to get off. When "narrow band" was mandated I think there was a 10 year period where wide band transmitters were still legal to use.

My brother and I use a 9C (purchased new last fall after a transmitter failure) and we plan to use 72 until we are forced to change. We considered going 2.4 but decided against it, partly because of the price of additional receivers.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:30 PM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

Here is what I did ... You can put a 2.4GHz Futaba FASST TM-7 or TM-8 module in your 9C and buy just a R617FS receiver for your aircraft. Add other R617FS recivers as you slowly transition over to 2.4GHz using your 9C the whole time. (I would buy the receivers on eBay for about $86 each from Mark Twain Hobby.) Finally I decided to buy a 10CAG (100% staright 2.4 GHz) and also a TP-FM FM synthesizer so I could still fly 72MHz with my trusty old 9C and just dial in the channel # I needed. I'm now 100% 2.4GHz transitioned over the past 18 months. Many of the contest or fly-in are now requiring 2.4GHz Tx ... Hope that helps.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:41 PM
zero244
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah its just a matter of time..........and all our FM TX and RX stuff will be thrown in the trash.
Unless some kind of unforeseen problem develops with 2.4 ghz.
I am not going to buy anymore FM RX's.
You 9c guys can at least use your TX with a 2.4 module.
To be honest I still don't have 100 percent confidence in 2.4.
I am thinking about buying either a Airtronics 10g or a Futaba 8fg coming out in Sept.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

I just bought a 10C with the 2.4GHz. module in it. I copied all my setups directly from my 9CAPS Campac in about 5 minutes. I put the 6014 receiver that came with the 10C in my most prized plane and flew it the next day. I pop the old 9CAPS 72 MHz module in and I can fly all the rest of my planes. One of the best parts is that the programming on the 10C is almost identical but with the addition of the little joystick dojobby it's much faster navigating the menus.

I love my 9CAPS and I loved my 9CAP but I have to say you really can feel the quicker more "connected" feeling with the 10C. I imagine I'll start ordering a 2.4 GHZ receiver here and there until I've 100% untouchable.

The 10C is tough too. I was range checking my plane and wasn't watching where I was going. I walked right into a cable barrier and fell on my face (and transmitter). The antenna came off the 10C but it popped right back on with no damage.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:48 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recall when the first 2.4's hit themarket in BIG numbers (2007 Jan) the Spektrum DX7 sold like wildfire and th crepehangers and naysayers wisely insisted that the transfer of the good ol 72 to the horribly risky 2.4 would take years
It did
Two
Old 09-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Campgems

ORIGINAL: Robotech

I just bought a 10C with the 2.4GHz. module in it. I copied all my setups directly from my 9CAPS Campac in about 5 minutes. I put the 6014 receiver that came with the 10C in my most prized plane and flew it the next day. I pop the old 9CAPS 72 MHz module in and I can fly all the rest of my planes. One of the best parts is that the programming on the 10C is almost identical but with the addition of the little joystick dojobby it's much faster navigating the menus.

I love my 9CAPS and I loved my 9CAP but I have to say you really can feel the quicker more "connected" feeling with the 10C. I imagine I'll start ordering a 2.4 GHZ receiver here and there until I've 100% untouchable.

The 10C is tough too. I was range checking my plane and wasn't watching where I was going. I walked right into a cable barrier and fell on my face (and transmitter). The antenna came off the 10C but it popped right back on with no damage.

I held back on the 2.4 for a long time. I'm an owner of both a 9C and a 9C super. The 10C came out and there were a few features that I liked. Around April, I finally did some serious shopping. There was a Futaba special at the time that would give you a second 7 channel 2.4 Receiver when you bought the 10C and the 6014 receiver. When I looked at what it would cost me for the 2.4 modual and the two receiver to us in my 9C super, the answer was a bit of a susprise. For $50 more, I could get the 10C and the additional 3 channels. One of the Ebay sellers, Mark Twain Hobbies, was undercutting Tower enough that I couldn't just pass it up. Like Robotech said, copy the planes to the Campac in the 9C, move it over to the 10C, and go flying. Not a sinlgle click of trim difference on either of th 2.4 planes compaired to the 9C settings, and when I put the 72 moduals in, it was the same. I understand that the 10C moduar is no longer avaiable, what a shame. I got mine though.

Don
Old 09-01-2009, 09:51 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

FlyerDave;

Like you, I love my 9CAP, but I didn't want to buy 2.4 and change out all my Receivers; so I went ahead and bought the Modular Based 10C with the plan to run my 72MHz Module from my 9CAP on the 10C; and then slowly start buying 2.4 receivers and certainly use 2.4 Receivers on any new Planes; and still be able to fly my 72MHz Planes; but then I realized, I have one of those Double Aluminum Transmitter Cases, and its not a big problem bringing both the 9CAP and the 10C to the field and not have to change out the Modules all the time; so now I went ahead and bought the New 2.4 Dedicated 10CG; I never used the 10C, its still brand new, I have it for sale at a great price right here on RCU Market Place http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=547733 so if you only want to bring one Radio to the field, and Fly both 2.4GHz and 72MHz, the 10C is the way to go, the memory from your 9CAP is easily transfered, and the 10C has some features that the 9CAP doesn't; and don't forget the extra Channels; take a look, I am open to offers, the price is great and remember its Brand New, never used, I took it out of the Box to marvel at it, charged the Battery and that's it!

Thanks Doug.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:24 PM
TFF

The only limit is when the FCC pulls the plug. When is a guess, but a lucky thing is that commercial use in 72 is similar to what we do so they might not see a need for a while. It also would not be overnight. I would say 5-10 years after they announce it. No announcement yet.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Campgems

They haven't pulled the plug on the old citizens bands yet, you can still buy and use them if you have the nerve. The 2.4 band will most likely fill up prior to the 72 going down. Even my hearing aids work in 2.4 now. At some point the cross talk and noise is going to start causing problems. Most all of the PC wireless is on 2.4. Wireless phones, 2.4. Sooner or later, the low cost techonoloyy 2.4 is going to fill up. Probably sooner. I was talking to a guy who serviced the microwave towers near our field. His comment was that he wouldn't fly 2.4 because it is one of the most crouded bands and that 72 was much cleaner. If it was just RC on 2.4, it probably wouldn't be a problem. But with everything under the sun using 2.4, event at low wattage outputs, there is a ton of noise out there. I'll fly it until the problems really start to surface. But they will sooner than later. Maybe by then, they will have a new band for us.

Don
Old 09-03-2009, 04:41 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson
I recall when the first 2.4's hit themarket in BIG numbers (2007 Jan) the Spektrum DX7 sold like wildfire and th crepehangers and naysayers wisely insisted that the transfer of the good ol 72 to the horribly risky 2.4 would take years
It did
Two
How did you come to that conclusion? Out of about 40 members in our club, less than 10 have 2.4 ghz radios. There may be less new product, but I do not believe the masses have deserted 72 mhz.

ORIGINAL: Campgems
They haven't pulled the plug on the old citizens bands yet, you can still buy and use them if you have the nerve. The 2.4 band will most likely fill up prior to the 72 going down. Even my hearing aids work in 2.4 now. At some point the cross talk and noise is going to start causing problems. Most all of the PC wireless is on 2.4. Wireless phones, 2.4. Sooner or later, the low cost techonoloyy 2.4 is going to fill up. Probably sooner. I was talking to a guy who serviced the microwave towers near our field. His comment was that he wouldn't fly 2.4 because it is one of the most crouded bands and that 72 was much cleaner. If it was just RC on 2.4, it probably wouldn't be a problem. But with everything under the sun using 2.4, event at low wattage outputs, there is a ton of noise out there. I'll fly it until the problems really start to surface. But they will sooner than later. Maybe by then, they will have a new band for us.
Don
Unfortunately, RC is a very tiny market compared to all of the other wireless stuff. Once the dedicated 72 mhz channels are gone, RC will probably have to share bands like 900 mhz, 2.4 ghz, 5.8 ghz, etc with al of the other users.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:36 PM
zero244
My Feedback: (1)

Its too bad they couldn't of designed something that works like 2.4 but still use the 72mhz band. Then we wouldn't have to compete with wireless networks and everything under the sun.
I agree I think 2.4 is going to get quirky after a period of time. It would be nice if wireless network cards and wireless phones remote controls etc. would move to something else.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:01 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

The 2.4ghz bandwidth is 85mhz. 90% of all communications since the beginning of radio communications have been in a band of less than 85mhz. Its not going to get crowded soon.
A simple system like ASSAN is far more robust and reliable than any 72mhz system. Yes I know its made in China. But so is Futaba.
You can get a ASSAN module system very reasonably.

I predict that within 5years 72mhz will be in the same class as 27mhz. History.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Campgems

ORIGINAL: dirtybird
I'll take that bet.

Actually 27mhz isn't history, but is still offered today. I wouldn't trust it in a plane, but I didn't trust it in 1969 either with all the CB craze just getting going and all the chaos it brought..

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXSNP1**&P=ML That was the first I found doing a quick looku on Tower. There are more.

The selection of receivers and TX's for 72mhz may diminish, but they will still be at the fields flying.

Don
Old 09-03-2009, 08:41 PM
TFF

One thing too is that there is so much 72 equipment out there, almost 40 years worth, that the FCC will have to wait a while to clear the band. Garage sale equipment will be around a long time that can interfere with whatever becomes of 72. How much wide band stuff still shows up? They would almost have to have public service announcements on Saturday mornings to educate everyone who is not AMA and think that they got a deal.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:55 AM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

I'm still flying my 1969 Ek single stick on 26.995 with no problems -
Old 09-04-2009, 09:35 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I was an EK rep for awhile in the early '70s. I knew Bob Eliot quite well. His designs were well ahead of the times. His chief engineer, Jim Fosgate, copied the design and married it to the Kraft mechanics and created the Pro Line equipment. Pro Line was sold to a Co in Missouri and persisted until just a few years ago.
During the CB craze, 26.995 was used quite a bit by the CB rogues because it was mostly clear and crystals were readily available.
That frequency should be very clear these days. You should be all by yourself.